Confirmed with Link: G Aaron Dell re-signed - 2 years / $625k AAV

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
I'm fine with it, I don't think getting a backup goalie midseason will be overly expensive if he completely fails at the job.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Presumably our #2 headed into the season

I liked him on the 'cuda, hopefully he's ready to take that next step

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I am very very leery of going into a season where we're going all-in on winning the Cup with a rookie backup goaltender when we've got as many back-to-back games as we do. He may do fine and be great. But we don't know. And in a season like this, I think we need much more of a sure thing as our primary backup. We just had a season where a crappy backup goaltender possibly cost us the division title and wore out Jones out more than was necessary. Maybe if we had a quality backup all year, Jones is just that tiny fraction better in the Finals due to better rest and is able to steal it for us.

I would be more than happy to use Wingels and/or Dillon as trade bait to get that backup if necessary, if Enroth or Ramo aren't viable options. (or if we'd get a goalie that could give us even close to what Reimer gave us)

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I'm okay with Dell as backup if only because he has done his time in the AHL and performed well on some bad teams. He's always looked good when I went to Barracuda games (perhaps it was luck of the draw, but I also saw some real Groesnick stinkers). He clearly had the trust of his teammates and he is at the age where it's time to see what he can do on the big stage.

My two caveats are: get him regular work early, and give him a little rope. Don't let a bad showing mean we ride Jones into the ground at least early in the season. Secondly, if for any reason it looks like he isn't capable of holding that second spot down after 30-40 games make the move to get a more established backup then instead of waiting until the deadline.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
I'm okay with Dell as backup if only because he has done his time in the AHL and performed well on some bad teams. He's always looked good when I went to Barracuda games (perhaps it was luck of the draw, but I also saw some real Groesnick stinkers). He clearly had the trust of his teammates and he is at the age where it's time to see what he can do on the big stage.

My two caveats are: get him regular work early, and give him a little rope. Don't let a bad showing mean we ride Jones into the ground at least early in the season. Secondly, if for any reason it looks like he isn't capable of holding that second spot down after 30-40 games make the move to get a more established backup then instead of waiting until the deadline.
We can always get Neuvirth at deadline. (Just like Reimer)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Maybe not.

Flyers have to make a decision on the future of their 'tending.

Both Neuvirth and Mason are only signed through this coming season. (As are the other two signed G in the organization.)

Someone has to be signed and exposed through 2017-18 for the expansion draft.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area

Besides what LS said, there's another problem with that idea: What about the 3/4 of the season before we get to the TDL? Yeah, we got Reimer, but how much better off would the team have been, even just from a rest perspective, if our backup had actually been able to give us a decent chance of winning the games he played in? Stalock felt almost like him playing was an auto-loss.

So yeah. I'd rather avoid all those issues and just get even Reimer-Lite to put back there, rather than trusting it to Dell. Don't get me wrong, for all I know Dell could play fantastic, and there's no issues at all. But we just don't know yet how he'll do with backup minutes in SJ.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Besides what LS said, there's another problem with that idea: What about the 3/4 of the season before we get to the TDL? Yeah, we got Reimer, but how much better off would the team have been, even just from a rest perspective, if our backup had actually been able to give us a decent chance of winning the games he played in? Stalock felt almost like him playing was an auto-loss.

So yeah. I'd rather avoid all those issues and just get even Reimer-Lite to put back there, rather than trusting it to Dell. Don't get me wrong, for all I know Dell could play fantastic, and there's no issues at all. But we just don't know yet how he'll do with backup minutes in SJ.

Wasn't he fine as the backup in the ahl before this year?

After looking at his stats, yes before this year he had never played more then 30 games and he has posted good numbers also.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The thing I don't like about this is that if Dell can't cut it, Sharks will have to deal an asset to pickup a backup while during the past week, at least a half dozen guys were signed that the Sharks could have had without giving up anything.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The thing I don't like about this is that if Dell can't cut it, Sharks will have to deal an asset to pickup a backup while during the past week, at least a half dozen guys were signed that the Sharks could have had without giving up anything.

And wilson said he would of done it if he could. Wilson has already said he is still trying to upgrade it and the dell signing isn't a sign that he is been given the job.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Maybe DW and PDB are counting on Armalis contending for backup?

I think DW is seriously considering this. He mentioned it during the phone interview with Boedker.

I think he'll compete in camp and see where he ends up. With the way backup goalies are in kind of a surplus around the league, I think we have time to wait and see if Armalis can compete.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
For the sake of my marriage, lets hope Armalis is not on the team
Mantas3.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad