Confirmed with Link: G Aaron Dell re-signed - 2 years / $625k AAV

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I bet we roll with him as our backup in the NHL next year, unless we can find a better option on the FA or trade markets. (Dillon or Wingels are both players we can and should move now, which would clear up 5.3m in cap space) Running with Dell as our backup with that many back-to-backs scares me. Just not as scared as doing it with Grosenick would.

On the plus side, we now have our goalie to get exposed in the expansion draft.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He probably deserves it. He put up good numbers in the AHL on a pretty bad team.

Yeah but I think they're falling right back into the Stalock trap. If Dell struggles to find his game when he's not playing very much then what do you do? Ride Jones again until you find a backup to rent? It's not a smart gamble, imo.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah but I think they're falling right back into the Stalock trap. If Dell struggles to find his game when he's not playing very much then what do you do? Ride Jones again until you find a backup to rent? It's not a smart gamble, imo.

There's literally no other way to prove a goalie is ready in the NHL than to have him play in the NHL. It's a gamble you have to take if the team thinks he's ready and if Hedberg and Nabby think he's good enough to be the backup then I'll trust them on this.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There's literally no other way to prove a goalie is ready in the NHL than to have him play in the NHL. It's a gamble you have to take if the team thinks he's ready and if Hedberg and Nabby think he's good enough to be the backup then I'll trust them on this.

I agree but they have to go about it a certain way and not hide him on the bench if there are some struggles.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

How do you think goalies break into the league? They get played as a backup/injury replacement in a sink or swim situation.

Going into the season with the backup as a question mark is a risk, but it happens multiple times every year. There aren't 60 goalies that have proven to be capable still playing.

And the backup goalie trade scenario is usually a buyers market, and because of the Expansion Draft it will be this year as well. Goalies will be going for a 4th or a 5th near January.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
It was dell and boedker or overpaying enroth imo. But let's see what he pulls

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
How do you think goalies break into the league? They get played as a backup/injury replacement in a sink or swim situation.

Going into the season with the backup as a question mark is a risk, but it happens multiple times every year. There aren't 60 goalies that have proven to be capable still playing.

And the backup goalie trade scenario is usually a buyers market, and because of the Expansion Draft it will be this year as well. Goalies will be going for a 4th or a 5th near January.

It's not a matter of how goalies break into the league. It's a matter of how you get the best out of them. There are ways to get the best out of your backup and there are ways that you can really screw the pooch with them. I don't really care what the trade price is for a backup goalie. It's a waste to trade for them. I prefer having someone like Dell be developed and step up into the role but they have to do right by him to get the most out of him and the big thing is them playing him regularly w/o sticking him to the bench if he has a poor start.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
This is good news. Not sure who else they'd bring in, but still, I'd much prefer to have a really proven backup given all our back-to-backs this year.

At the very least, this year we are not worried about our starter. We know he's a top-10 goalie in the league and a playoff beast. Our backup, in this case, is just in case of injuries, not because we are not sure if our starting goalie is a starting goalie.

SoftDumpInTheCorner

Jun 29, 2010
Man Jose
Having Dell in is not falling into the "Stalock Trap". Dell has shown that he can actually tend the net, Stalock had one incredible AHL season and several horrible seasons. The Stalock Trap to me would be giving Grosenick the back up job.

Dell showed that he can play well for a terrible team with zero defense in the second best league in the world. Im fully comfortable with him coming in with the Sharks defense in front of him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Having Dell in is not falling into the "Stalock Trap". Dell has shown that he can actually tend the net, Stalock had one incredible AHL season and several horrible seasons. The Stalock Trap to me would be giving Grosenick the back up job.

Dell showed that he can play well for a terrible team with zero defense in the second best league in the world. Im fully comfortable with him coming in with the Sharks defense in front of him.

Dell hasn't shown anything at the NHL level. Even if you succeed as a goalie in the AHL, it's not the same thing up here especially when you go from starting in the AHL to backing up in the NHL. It's a difficult transition that not everyone is cut out for. There is no way to say definitively whether Dell is ready until it just happens. My point about the trap is more about how the coaches utilize their backup and handle it when they have a poor start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad