Future of the team

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Next year:
Perry -- Free agent
Getzlaf --- Free agent
Koivu --- Retire
Selanne --- Retire

Even if you are able to get something interesting at the trade deadline for Perry and Getzlaf, if you loose those 4 players, you will become undeniable the worst team in the NHL. Good chances that Anaheim becomes the new Edmonton Oilers (Rebuild for 3-4 years with high overall picks)

What your thought on this? Can your franchise survives this?

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Getzlaf more than likely won't be leaving. Who says Koivu and even Teemu are gonna retire? Yeah, Koivu's no longer a top 6 C but he's a great 3rd line C.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
With the way Koivu has been playing with the third line, I think he may reconsider his retirement. Teemu, I see him retiring if he doesn't get to scoring. As for the Twins, Perry and Getz, should they not be able to be re-signed, then the org would know ahead of time and recoup by trading them away for players and picks.

But if you lose four top end guys, then any team will feel depleted. That's common sense.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
With the way Koivu has been playing with the third line, I think he may reconsider his retirement. Teemu, I see him retiring if he doesn't get to scoring. As for the Twins, Perry and Getz, should they not be able to be re-signed, then the org would know ahead of time and recoup by trading them away for players and picks.

But if you lose four top end guys, then any team will feel depleted. That's common sense.
He never said that he was planning to retire.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
So the habs prospect expert is also a ducks prospect expert... it will definitely hurt but it wont be as long of a rebuild as you would think

btw first post, big ducks fan :)

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Next year:
Perry -- Free agent
Getzlaf --- Free agent
Koivu --- Retire
Selanne --- Retire

Even if you are able to get something interesting at the trade deadline for Perry and Getzlaf, if you loose those 4 players, you will become undeniable the worst team in the NHL. Good chances that Anaheim becomes the new Edmonton Oilers (Rebuild for 3-4 years with high overall picks)

What your thought on this? Can your franchise survives this?
Andy Sutton's been looking for you.

And by the way, yeah the franchise would survive. No group of players leaving would kill the team. Players get replaced, see?

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
We become the worst team in the NHL? Really?

No offense, and I truly mean no offense, but you know nothing about our organization if you truly believe it'd be set in stone that we'd be the worst team in the league.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Lol I definitely come in peace! I have a very bad english so I have difficulty to express myself properly, sorry for that.

It is very rare that a team could potentially lost is top 4 forwards, I just wanted to know your thought on that and the chances it could happened?

And no I am definitly not a anaheim ducks expert :-P

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
In that case, it's a setback, but we have plenty of talent coming up that should at least keep us away from the bottom. We just won't be a contender for several years as we're at the mercy of their development.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Lol I definitely come in peace! I have a very bad english so I have difficulty to express myself properly, sorry for that.

It is very rare that a team could potentially lost is top 4 forwards, I just wanted to know your thought on that and the chances it could happened?

And no I am definitly not a anaheim ducks expert :-P
The chances of losing any one of them are pretty good, but the chances of losing ALL of them are very slim.

If it happens, as you say, there will be trades for assets coming back, and we have a prospect cupboard that, while lacking superstar-level talent, is full of prospects that project to having long, good careers. At worst there'd be a bit of a lag in the standings, and then the team's character would change from what it's been (a star-driven vehicle) to a more mid-level committee of scorers kind of team (like Nashville).

Because we'd retain Hiller, and because our best prospect depth is arguably in goal, that's a pretty plausible result. I think it very unlikely that the team would become the worst team in the league in the long term, and probably not in the short term either.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

What your thought on this?
My thoughts on that are that you have a very weird definition of "undeniable". There's nothing undeniable about your statement.

Yes, on paper, we'd look thin at first, but that's the first conclusion you jump to. If those guys leave, they won't go unreplaced. The Ducks haven't been unable to attract free agents. We obviously wouldn't be able to replace Getzlaf, Perry or Teemu equally, but that's hardly the only objective. You can be certain that we'd be active, not only in free agency, but in the trade-market, as well.

A long rebuild Oilers-style isn't to be expected. We have a rather deep farm system. We're not in need of a rebuild. Even moreso if those guys decide to move on, we'll use some of the assets we acquire for them to re-tool.

We'll get to worry about those things when we actually know what Getzlaf and Perry decide for their future, though.

rollingdux

Jun 2, 2012
So Cal
twitter.com
I'm 90% sure Getzy and Koivu stay. 50% on Perry and Teemu.

Like Exit Dose said, it would be a setback, but we wouldn't be the worst team. We'd still have Hiller and our D together. Plus any pieces we'd get for Perry if he were to be moved.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Getzy's resigning is critical. He needs to be kept in the fold otherwise we could see a huge dip in this team's performance. But like most have said he's expressed his desire to re-sign. I think Perry goes to free agency and if that's what he chooses to do so be it. He's earned that right and I appreciate that he's not blowing smoke up everyone's ***** saying he wants to stay. I can respect a player for wanting a new start as long as he doesn't give anyone the opposite impression. It'll suck especially if we're in a playoff position and can't afford to trade him.

I can't imagine Teemu playing another year. With things that he's said and watching him skate it looks like the end for him. Koivu is flying out there and he wants to continue in Anaheim I'm sure Murph with bring him back.

I can't us losing (not loosing) all four but half of them is a real possibility. But we have good prospects and that potential cap space. We'll be fine.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
New Jersey fans thought the same thing about Zach Parise

Parise also left to be closer to his wife's family. Getzlaf's wife is from Anaheim.

Bobby Ryan even told me personally that there's no way Getz leaves SoCal, so unless the kings have room for him, which they dont, he will be here.

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
We have enough depth right now, that I wouldn't be panicked if we lost Perry or Getzlaf. It would suck, and the team wouldn't be the same, but we'd survive.

Force951

Jul 17, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
If we lose Perry and Selanne, which is worst case of the likely scenarios then the biggest issue would be the 2nd line again. Ryan-Getzlaf-Palmieri would only be slightly behind Beleskey/Palmieri-Getzlaf-Perry. But our 2nd line would take a huge hit because we would be looking at Etem-Holland/Bonino-UFA. Other then that the team would be pretty much the same. With the way koivu is playing i think he sticks around for the olympics next year, and who knows maybe Selanne does as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad