Future of Kunlun

eal

Sep 5, 2014
With the Beijing Olympic Games now behind us, what is the future of Kunlun? What is its long-term purpose? How will it handle the ongoing Covid uncertainty?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Kunlun has absolutely no long-term purpose. Whether they still continue to play next season depends mostly on any remaining value to Sino-Russian relations, but it's safe to say even that is rather low.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
If they could manage to play more than 2 games since 2016 in their actual city and home arena it might make sense. However I see them going in the near future. Hopefully the Chinese goverment doesn't forget hockey, they could continue with the VHL teams once covid restrictions are better but i doubt it if the Kunlun KHL stops getting the funding.

eal

Sep 5, 2014
If they aren't even playing games in China they really don't have any purpose. I would hope China continues to invest in hockey as they could become at least decent at the sport given the resources they have and proximity to Russia.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
If they aren't even playing games in China they really don't have any purpose. I would hope China continues to invest in hockey as they could become at least decent at the sport given the resources they have and proximity to Russia.
Don't know how real is the proximity arguments since there are thousands of kilometers between China and most Russian cities. I don't think Harbin and Vladivostok being close would have an impact on China at large.

eal

Sep 5, 2014
Don't know how real is the proximity arguments since there are thousands of kilometers between China and most Russian cities. I don't think Harbin and Vladivostok being close would have an impact on China at large.

That is a fair point, perhaps China's wintery climate helps? Perhaps somewhere like Harbin would have been a betetr option for a KHL team?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
They should create sustainable domestic structures in Heilongjiang, a top-down approach like just planting a KHL team somewhere for a few years isn't going to lead to anything. If Qiqihar and Harbin already hate one another then create a real league around that rivalry. It might suck initially, but in a couple of decades they're guaranteed to be better off than with any of these transplanted teams of foreign leagues that last a couple of unsuccessful years before withering away.

EstesSquare

Feb 24, 2022
I would like to see China invest in both womens and mens programs like they do with their speed skating and figure skating programs. I can really see China becoming a solid program but now with Russia I think Kunlan is done so they will have to look at other options.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I would like to see China invest in both womens and mens programs like they do with their speed skating and figure skating programs. I can really see China becoming a solid program but now with Russia I think Kunlan is done so they will have to look at other options.

Well if they actually bothered to develop hockey in the provinces that actually play and enjoy hockey it might have made more sense. Though Beijing sounds more attractive than Harbin I guess to fans and sponsors!

Wasn't there a plan for China to start their own superleague?

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
If China had stuck with ALIH they could have seen real progress with the national team. Have a few experienced exports to show the Chinese players the ropes. Perhaps forgo club success for a bit while you play your Chinese payers and get them valuable minutes.

There was one overlap between China Dragon and Kunlun. Dropping the ALIH/VHL teams was dumb. Even if you want to go import heavy and bring the players you're looking to naturalize to the KHL team, keep the ALIH or VHL teams to get minutes for your natural borns.

I know the pandemic threw a whole bag of wrenches in the gears but it seems the Chinese were going to drop or deemphasize the lower-level teams anyway.

I know the Koreans have more infrastructure in place and that helped develop their roster for the 2018 games but that's in place because of a systematic commitment to smart improvement.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Well China Dragon of the Asian league set the record for most consecutive losses didn't they? Something like 152 games straight? Can't do much for morale but it was probably a more manageable project than Kunlun.

Dont forgot Kunlun was signed off during a business deal with the two governments so hockey might not have been the main reason for them anyway

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Well China Dragon of the Asian league set the record for most consecutive losses didn't they? Something like 152 games straight? Can't do much for morale but it was probably a more manageable project than Kunlun.

Dont forgot Kunlun was signed off during a business deal with the two governments so hockey might not have been the main reason for them anyway

The China Dragon are statistically the worst professional ice hockey franchise to have ever existed for more than one season. They were just as dysfunctional on the ice as they were behind the scenes. Don't take my word for it, you should read this article from former players, coaching staff, executives from the San Jose Sharks when they got involved with the China team.

10 years later, an oral history of the China Sharks: Culture shock on ice | The Hockey News

The most insane story is from when CCP officials nearly created an international incident when they tried to physically assault the Japanese Women's hockey team to prevent them from practicing for a tournament China was hosting at the arena the Sharks funded. This lead to the Sharks washing their hands of the "China experiment."

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
The China Dragon are statistically the worst professional ice hockey franchise to have ever existed for more than one season. They were just as dysfunctional on the ice as they were behind the scenes. Don't take my word for it, you should read this article from former players, coaching staff, executives from the San Jose Sharks when they got involved with the China team.

10 years later, an oral history of the China Sharks: Culture shock on ice | The Hockey News

The most insane story is from when CCP officials nearly created an international incident when they tried to physically assault the Japanese Women's hockey team to prevent them from practicing for a tournament China was hosting at the arena the Sharks funded. This lead to the Sharks washing their hands of the "China experiment."
The CIHA sounds like one of the most frustrating bodies there is.

"We do things the Chinese way."

"But you guys are terrible."

"But we do things the Chinese way."

"Do you want to do things the Chinese way, or do you want to win?"

"Depends... will you make this team win with the Chinese way?"

Considering how atrocious hockey is in China, it appears that the Chinese way has failed miserably, but you know, gotta do it the Chinese way.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Considering the humiliating lack of talent, even for them, signed up at this stage before the new season, I'm wondering if the government has already abandoned the project wholesale and anything that happens to Kunlun will be up to fate.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Spencer Foo is the only meaningful player to have signed elsewhere though, so it's quite likely that they are simply going to have the same-ish team back.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Brandon Yip has been signed to a four-year contract by Kunlun so if that's any indication, the team isn't leaving anywhere soon.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Brandon Yip has been signed to a four-year contract by Kunlun so if that's any indication, the team isn't leaving anywhere soon.

Which is fine and long may they live, however they should actually be 1. In China and 2. At least in the East Conference! Seems weird them based in Moscow

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
They've been signing a lot of size and are almost completely devoid of skill, might be an interesting season coming up.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
My insider buddy confirmed that every signing at least verbally has to agree to suit up for China down the road, so yeah, sadly already looking forward seeing them at top tier WC in couple of years.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Their current roster is nowhere near good enough for the top-level World Championships. Already the idea that they could achieve Olympic qualification with 40-year-old Brandon Yip as their leading player is unrealistic.

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad