NHL Entry Draft Future Draft Watch

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Is there a way to get just this issue without subscribing?

I bought it from a link someone posted. Just go right to the hockey news and order it. It cost me 16 bucks with shipping, but arrived in 2 days.

Not sure about the us, but i assume it's similar in price

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
At 16, Michkov is putting up numbers that rival those of Ovechkin when he was that age.

He's tearing up the U18 WJC tournament with 9 goals and 2 helpers in just 4 games.

This fellow could be fighting it out with Shane Wright for top spot in the 2022 draft.

We could see the two square off if Wright returns to action during a possible knock-out round match-up between Canada and Russia.

Really hoping that will happen - the battle of two scoring machines!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
At 16, Michkov is putting up numbers that rival those of Ovechkin when he was that age.

He's tearing up the U18 WJC tournament with 9 goals and 2 helpers in just 4 games.

This fellow could be fighting it out with Shane Wright for top spot in the 2022 draft.

We could see the two square off if Wright returns to action during a possible knock-out round match-up between Canada and Russia.

Really hoping that will happen - the battle of two scoring machines!
He’s in the 2023 draft, he’ll be battling with Bedard, unlikely he pulls ahead of him, but both are Franchise altering picks.

Reactions: Oral64

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

Calum Ritchie, F (Oakville Rangers)
“The real deal.” “He’s going to change an OHL franchise for the better.” “Best of the best.” Those are all terms used to describe Ritchie’s play this year after proving he’s one of the best 2005-born players in the country. I was at one of his two minor midget games with the Rangers this season and watching him pull off an incredible no-look deke around a defender to score was one of the highlights of the season for me. He had no issue being among the best players against older competition and his creativeness with the puck is superb. Ritchie is confident with the puck and dependable in his own zone – a guy who should have no issue instantly transitioning to the OHL when the time comes.
An early look at the 2021 OHL Draft

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I'm just gonna put it out there...and I don't mean this to be fear mongering because Ottawa's young core is phenomenal.

It's unfortunate we're going to miss out on both Wright and Bedard. Either one of those players would have transformed Ottawa into a perennial contender for many years in my opinion.

Between Stutzle, Batherson, Norris, Tkachuk, Pinto, Formenton and Greig our forward core is in good shape. Since I see Stutzle as a winger...I can't help but feel we may be searching for a true #1 C for many years before we can compete with the upper echelon teams.

It's funny how the NHL is a combination of good management and scouting...but also timing/luck based on your franchise's cycle.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I'm just gonna put it out there...and I don't mean this to be fear mongering because Ottawa's young core is phenomenal.

It's unfortunate we're going to miss out on both Wright and Bedard. Either one of those players would have transformed Ottawa into a perennial contender for many years in my opinion.

Between Stutzle, Batherson, Norris, Tkachuk, Pinto, Formenton and Greig our forward core is in good shape. Since I see Stutzle as a winger...I can't help but feel we may be searching for a true #1 C for many years before we can compete with the upper echelon teams.

It's funny how the NHL is a combination of good management and scouting...but also timing/luck based on your franchise's cycle.

Such an excellent point. And the best argument there is against tanking. Brian Burke's dreaded "Pittsburgh model". As bad a job Edmonton did drafted early in their rebuild, that they happened to pick first in years when Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov were obvious top picks really hurt them. St. Louis picking first in the Erik Johnson draft set their process back years. Ekblad didn't exactly propel Florida directly into the playoffs. And imagine where New Jersey might be right now if they'd landed someone a little higher echelon than Hischier in 2017.

That said, the lottery also comes into major play in relation to the quality and type of draft. Take the 2022 and 2023 draft for instance - there is only one obvious franchise talent in Wright, so the team that pick first is riding high, but beyond that, the difference between Miroshnichenko, Savoie, Luneau, Kemell, Nazar, Slafkovsky, Nemec, Yurov, Cooley, etc. is not all that significant. I expect that almost every pick in the top 20 or so is going to be an impact player, so tanking is meaningless unless you win the lottery. Cf. the 2023 draft, where the lottery losers are still going to get Michkov and then Dvorsky. Looks to be some elite talent throughout the top 7-10 or so, but not the same kind of depth as 2022, so tanking means a lot more in a draft like that.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Decided to try something a little different just for fun. Ranking the top prospects for the next few drafts against eachother, in terms of potential:

1. Connor Bedard (2023)
2. Matvei Michkov (2023)
3. Aron Kiviharju (2024)
4. Shane Wright (2022)
5. Alexei Dontsov (2024)

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
If we can get Kemell or Yurov then I think we are in good shape tbh.

A potential top 9 of

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Stutzle-Kemell/Yurov
Paul-Pinto-Sokolov/Grieg

It’s fine if we send Kemell back to Finland for another season or two, and I’m guessing Yurov wont wanna play in Belleville.

We need another top 4 Dmen to help mentor Sanderson. I’m fine trading both our 2nds for a top 4 D-men

JackBauer

May 16, 2006
Ottawa, Ont.
Decided to try something a little different just for fun. Ranking the top prospects for the next few drafts against eachother, in terms of potential:

1. Connor Bedard (2023)
2. Matvei Michkov (2023)
3. Aron Kiviharju (2024)
4. Shane Wright (2022)
5. Alexei Dontsov (2024)

Fantili?

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010

He's really good too. Not on the level of those five. Might make the top 10 but there's some stiff competition: Mikhail Gulyayev (2023), Emil Jarventie (2023), Dalibor Dvorsky (2023), Brayden Yager (2023), Ivan Demidov (2024), Adam Jecho (2024), Macklin Celebrini (2024) Jordan Gavin (2025).

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Man, I just can't evaluate the BCHL. The skill range just seems ridiculous.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Man, I just can't evaluate the BCHL. The skill range just seems ridiculous.
If you’re good, you’re good. It’s why guys like Newhook, who looked the part of an extremely skilled 2 way player, fall in the drafts.

The notion that showing an elite skill set in a lower league is worth much less than showing the exact same skill set in the CHL or NCAA make teams look foolish pretty often. There’s a big difference between showing the skill set and producing in lower leagues

Johnson was lucky enough to get a year in the NCAA prior to his draft, if he was a month older he probably goes towards 10-15 rather than 5th, even though all the skill set and skills were the same.

Wood is the same kind of player, he’s showing his skill set in the BCHL, if he we’re playing the exact same way with the exact same skill set in the WHL, even with 20 less points, people would be more sure of him for some odd reason. He’s not an electric skater like Newhook or Johnson, but he’s got the best goal scoring ability by a gigantic margin.

He is always in the right place, it looks like he’s barely shooting but it goes in, it looks lumbering but he’s going at a good pace. He’s like a post injury Heatley. If he can make headway on his skating, he’ll be a top 5 guy next year.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
If you’re good, you’re good. It’s why guys like Newhook, who looked the part of an extremely skilled 2 way player, fall in the drafts.

The notion that showing an elite skill set in a lower league is worth much less than showing the exact same skill set in the CHL or NCAA make teams look foolish pretty often. There’s a big difference between showing the skill set and producing in lower leagues

Johnson was lucky enough to get a year in the NCAA prior to his draft, if he was a month older he probably goes towards 10-15 rather than 5th, even though all the skill set and skills were the same.

Wood is the same kind of player, he’s showing his skill set in the BCHL, if he we’re playing the exact same way with the exact same skill set in the WHL, even with 20 less points, people would be more sure of him for some odd reason. He’s not an electric skater like Newhook or Johnson, but he’s got the best goal scoring ability by a gigantic margin.

He is always in the right place, it looks like he’s barely shooting but it goes in, it looks lumbering but he’s going at a good pace. He’s like a post injury Heatley. If he can make headway on his skating, he’ll be a top 5 guy next year.
I generally agree, but there's an element of the time and space available to show off your skillset in the BCHL. It leaves some question marks (for me at least) if you'll be able to pull off the same plays in the tougher leagues.

Reactions: MatchesMalone

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I generally agree, but there's an element of the time and space available to show off your skillset in the BCHL. It leaves some question marks (for me at least) if you'll be able to pull off the same plays in the tougher leagues.
He was one of the best players in the entire Capital City Challenge a month ago. Had 4 goals and 3 assists in 5 games, 4th overall in scoring.

That featured all the best 16 year olds in Canada (outside of Bedard). Of the 60 skaters, 53 were from the CHL, with the remaining 7 from the BCHL and GOJHL.

Zach Benson led the tournament in scoring with 7g + 5a, he's currently over a ppg in the WHL at 32 points in 26 games (20 points in 24 games an an under-aged 15 year old in the WHL). He's on the very, very small side though at 5'10 150 compared to Wood's 6'3 185.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
He was one of the best players in the entire Capital City Challenge a month ago. Had 4 goals and 3 assists in 5 games, 4th overall in scoring.

That featured all the best 16 year olds in Canada (outside of Bedard). Of the 60 skaters, 53 were from the CHL, with the remaining 7 from the BCHL and GOJHL.

Zach Benson led the tournament in scoring with 7g + 5a, he's currently over a ppg in the WHL at 32 points in 26 games (20 points in 24 games an an under-aged 15 year old in the WHL). He's on the very, very small side though at 5'10 150 compared to Wood's 6'3 185.
I don't doubt he'll be fine. I was more commenting on my own lack of ability to watch BCHL clips and tell which players stand out. Especially for shooters.

Reactions: BondraTime

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad