Future D core

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think Johns will step up under Hitch and still be here, as well.

They just gave Nyberg a 3 year entry deal, and he is another big bruiser we will probably want to put on each pair to protect our skill guys.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
I personally think it would be like this
Heiskanen
Honka
Klinger
Lindell
Bayreuther
Hansson
Heatherington

that is probalby the order id put on those guys in 5 years as well. I dont see much of a future in dallas for heatherington. Hansson is a wild card. A year ago at this time he seemed like a much stronger prospect. If he can regain that form I see no problem putting him right there with lindell and bayreuther, who i think are both a clear notch below the other 3.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Id probably rank them as

Heiskanen
Kling/Honka
Lindell

Really hop that once Methot it up our D looks like

Heiskanen-Klingberg
Lindell-Honka
Bay-Johns

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Klingberg
Heiskanen
Honka
Lindell

Edit: Yknow, come to think of it, comparing importance between Heiskanen and Klingberg should probably be nipped in the bud. We're gonna need them both long term, and having two number 1s is gonna be a huge blessing.

US Scout1

Oct 24, 2015
Boys, I think your focusing too much on offence and not enough on the other end of the ice too. We need to stop goals too, have you seen our PK stats. i see both Klingberg, Heiskanen as having most skill offensively and Heatherington and Lindell strongest in the D zone.

Honka has great offensive skills, but still very hit and miss defensively and gets exposed at times and I think Hitch will have some issues with consistency. I liked Bayreuther for balance, but needs another couple years to mature into a solid prospect.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yeah he goes under the radar as he just had his first season, he has the tools. Hitchcock may be good for him I agree.

Yeah, he made a few big blunders that failed the eye test, and like Morrow several years ago, it seemed like many of his mistakes ended up costing us. But overall, his stats were favorable, just like another whipping boy here, Ritchie in the forward ranks. Will never be all stars, maybe not even as good a role players as Guy and Keaner, etc. but I think both will be valuable.

Johns problems (and Nemeth and Jamie O) seemed to stem from decision making. I wonder, especially last year when they had trouble covering up mistakes with goal scoring, and Ruff was said to be implementing more D thought, if they just didn't really know exactly what they were supposed to do? The instructions sort of seemed to be "jump in the offense, except when you shouldn't (usually clear after other team scores on the rush)

I believe Hitch will have the D stay back unless 105% certain the puck can't go the other way, and the young D will benefit. But, I am not that big an expert, and time will tell. Certainly, Nill and Galardi and Lites seem to be banking on that.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Yeah, he made a few big blunders that failed the eye test, and like Morrow several years ago, it seemed like many of his mistakes ended up costing us. But overall, his stats were favorable, just like another whipping boy here, Ritchie in the forward ranks. Will never be all stars, maybe not even as good a role players as Guy and Keaner, etc. but I think both will be valuable.

Johns problems (and Nemeth and Jamie O) seemed to stem from decision making. I wonder, especially last year when they had trouble covering up mistakes with goal scoring, and Ruff was said to be implementing more D thought, if they just didn't really know exactly what they were supposed to do? The instructions sort of seemed to be "jump in the offense, except when you shouldn't (usually clear after other team scores on the rush)

I believe Hitch will have the D stay back unless 105% certain the puck can't go the other way, and the young D will benefit. But, I am not that big an expert, and time will tell. Certainly, Nill and Galardi and Lites seem to be banking on that.

What????

And where do you get this Ritchie stuff? Sometimes I wonder if you do a Stars madlib to come up with these crazy things, which you then frame as though all HFStars believes that thing you made up. "We all love to blame Tom Wandell for taking dumb penalties, but just like Christopher Nihlstorp I think he will be a good contributor even if he isn't an all star." I think you could easily come up with a half dozen dumb ideas that persist on HFStars, there's no need to make up your own.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I have read Ritchie's advanced stats weren't bad. His 16 goals in limited minutes wasn't too bad either. Now, I am sure you can find stats to say the opposite, and proclaim him a schlub, but obviously, the Stars disagree with you. The drafted him, they protected him, etc. He is a good player.

You can't have 4 all star right wings. I know I have read a lot of Ritchie hate on here, but too tired to find it.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Can we put to bed this notion that Hitchcock is some defensive miracle worker? The team may allow less goals next season which will be the result of his system that minimizes risk moreso than his predecesor's. It won't be because he taught <insert d man> how to play defense. This isn't juniors.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
My only question was whether simplifying the choices in this new system might help a player who had a few bouts with bad decision making. Don't know, just asking.

From watching most of the games last year, I really didn't see much of a system, saw a lot of tentativeness from Johns, Klingberg early, etc. Perhaps for different reasons. In Hitch's first term here, there was no question D was told to back up first rather than go for loose pucks. (Again, from memory of watching hundreds of games, that is where I come up with this stuff, but it may not be perfect memory. Will say that recollection of Hitch D does burn in the memory)

Could we say the same of the Ruff system last year?

I think its a fair question, and indirectly, whether system or individual coaching, yes, Hitch can teach a young D to make better decisions. All Ruff seemed to do was bench young D for one mistake. That ain't teaching.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I have read Ritchie's advanced stats weren't bad. His 16 goals in limited minutes wasn't too bad either. Now, I am sure you can find stats to say the opposite, and proclaim him a schlub, but obviously, the Stars disagree with you. The drafted him, they protected him, etc. He is a good player.

You can't have 4 all star right wings. I know I have read a lot of Ritchie hate on here, but too tired to find it.

Yeah I read the same thing, but here because I get no other Stars info from other sources. I don't think you are going to find anybody putting Ritchie over as an all star because all star is nonsense garbage, but I also don't think you can find any griping about him either. The only complaint I can recall in the past year is he takes too long to get his shot away, but his shot rate stat is very nice. I don't know where you are coming from on this.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Because his initial trial on the Benn and Seguin wing was not successful, lots of talk about him being too slow, shot too slow as you mention, etc. I think he is a productive player, but lots of forum types tend to over bag on the negative, that's all.

Back on topic, Johns will be useful, too. IMHO of course.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Yeah I read the same thing, but here because I get no other Stars info from other sources. I don't think you are going to find anybody putting Ritchie over as an all star because all star is nonsense garbage, but I also don't think you can find any griping about him either. The only complaint I can recall in the past year is he takes too long to get his shot away, but his shot rate stat is very nice. I don't know where you are coming from on this.

Most of the talk I remember is not so much bashing on him, but him being slow and therefore not being a perfect fit for the system. I don't recall many people not being happy with his abilities outside of skating so far.

And skating is a legitimate criticism for him. Whether it fits into the system remains to be seen, but he seemed to perform just fine last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad