FUN VOTE! HFNHL's top GM's (please join in!)

Ok...to join in the fun and games....

Took over a team who was bottom 3 in the league, had Felix Potvin Trevor Letowski and an ancient Ray Ferraro as my most valuable assets...and a couple of prospects by the name of Zetterberg and Miller to go with a strong 2001 draft class.

Finshed last and won the #1 pick. Moved from 8 to 5 and then to #4 in the draft using minor moves, and then watched as Rick Nash slipped to me there. also patiently waited for Ryan Whitney to fall to me a few picks later. Drafted Patrick Thorsesen who went undrafted, but is now with the oilers...so there you go to the 30 NHL teams. I once knew more than you guys did! lol

made a monster 40 point improvement in my second season. Made the playoffs in the 3rd, and won a cup in the 4th on a 19Million payroll after biting the bullet and trading Whitney and Brule for jokinen at the deadline). Signed Jagr, added Gonchar and a hoard of talent the following off-season, but didn't get the right blend and finished my 5th season horribly after trading Bryan Berard and replacing him with the HFNHL's biggest ever cancer (Rick Jackman). Still made the 5th seed however.

So from last to 1st in 4 seasons...now have the 4th youngest (and biggest) team in the HFNHL and am a favourite to finish in the top 4 in the east this season. Despite our young age.

Have Also spawned the Australian HFNHL revoloution with 2 more highly touted Gm's coming out of my system (Cohen and Dion) Do i need to remind you that the Aussies are going for a 3-peat of Cups? :amazed:

So far have had good success in the draft since 2002. Have drafted Bouwmeester, Nash, Whitney, Ladd, Staal, Brule, Suter in the 1st, Zajac, Thoresen, Belle, Matthias, Hensick, Jeremy Smith, Colby Cohen and Ted Ruth in the 2nd and Andy Rogers, Tyler Plante, and Will Weber in the 3rd. The Jury is badly down, but still not completely out on Korhonen (2nd) Nokelainen and Sauer (both 3rds) whilst former #1 pick candidate Vladislav Evseev (1st) and OHL Prodigy Pat Jarret (3rd) Were complete Busts, and Kirill Koltsov (2nd) would be a great prospect if he'd ever arrive in North America. Other than that, I've had great success with my picks i'd say. high 1sts are easy, but my 2nd round has been extremely productive so far. and my 3rd is ok too.

Did I mention that I've made money since i started too? so there's been no instant spending spree in free agency to kick start my team's rise.

so...vote for me? :deadhorse

Vaive-Alive

Mar 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
GM Bruins Votes for More Ale

Beantown:

The GM of the Boston Bruins met with the media this afternoon for an informal press conference, and as usual - he mixed fine ale with words in a delightful manner and entertained all in the establishment. Near the end of the conference, BeanTV's anchorman Dan O'Callahan asked GM Kruegs what he thought of the recent banter regarding who the league's 'Best' GM's were:

"Seeing the other GM's pat themselves on the back is all fine and dandy - but what are they doing about adding more beer to the HFNHL? Nothing. That will be my legacy, and my legacy alone." respondend GM Kruegs.

In due course, questions regarding the 'existence' of this virtual beer was called into question by many of the attending press, but GM Kruegs convincingly proved that indeed there was a case to be made by using a 'Negative Numbers' argument:

(1) Humans used to think that negative numbers did not exist.
(2) Mathematicians tell us that they do exist.
(3) Virtual beer is like negative numbers.
(4) Therefore, virtual beer exists.

Although some in the room appeared confused, most nodded in agreement and soon all were back to enjoying a fine afternoon of ale with GM Kruegs in sunny downtown Beantown.

Bobby Orr
Boston Globe

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
The worst GM of HFNHL History

I must be the worst GM of HFNHL. Look at all the players that I had either in my system or traded and nothing to show for on my current roster:

Doug Weight (Traded for Corry Perry)
Jeff O'Neill ( Traded for Eddie Belfour)
Martin Brodeur (Traded for Jagr and Chachmanek - Flipped Jagr for Marleau and Sykora)
Joe Motzko (UFA)
Matt Spiller (UFA)
Aaron Miller (Waived)
Michael Leighton (Traded for 5th round Pick)
Joey Tenute (UFA)
Mikko Koivu (Traded along with 2nd for Shane Doan)
Chris Chelios (Traded for 3rd rd pick)
Patrick Lalime (Traded along with 2 1st for Brodeur)
Patrick Marleau (Traded last season along with Cole for Marc Staal)
Erik Cole (Traded along with Marleau for Marc Staal)
Ron Hainsey (Acquired for Mark Messier)
Dick Tarnstrom (Free agent signing - Can't remember who I traded to)
Robert Lang (Traded to Montreal for Tellquist, Radovojavic and Colby Armstrong)
Branko Radivojevic (Traded to Ottawa recently)
Jason Bacashihua (traded to Ottawa Recently)
Ian Laperriere (UFA)
Dave Scatchard (UFA)
Colby Armstrong (Traded to Toronto for a back up goalie:cry:)
Andy Sutton (Traded to Montreal along with a prospect for 4 1st)
Mikael Tellqvist (Traded to Toronto)
Dominik Hasek (UFA)
Rob Niedermayer (traded recently to NYR for 5th rd pick)
Cory Stillman (Traded to NYR for Tembellini)
Scott Gomez (Traded to SJ for Jeff O'Neil)
Jarret Stoll (Traded to Carolina for 1st)
Adam Foote (Traded to Carolina for Ray Whitney)
Rick DiPietro (Traded to Carolina for Chris Gomez)
Steve Reinprecht (Traded to Dallas along with Mark Bell for Jason Arnott)
Shane Doan (Traded to Florida for Tuka Rask)
Scott Barney (Traded to Florida for 3rd)
Bobby Holik (Traded for 3rd pick)
Tyler Bouck (Traded to Tampa for Nothing)
Mark Mowers (Traded to Tampa for Nothing)
Petr Sykora (Traded to SJ - Can't recall the deal)
Joe Corvo (Traded to Colorado in Jagr Deal)
Denis Gauthier (Traded to Tampa for 3rd)
Brent Johnson (Traded to Tampa for 5th)
Kip Miller (Was picked off waiver)
Jeff Cowan (Traded to Tampa for Nothing)
Mike Wall (Traded to Tampa for Nothing)
Alexander Mogilny (Traded to Washington along with Saku Koivu for Niedermayer and Weight)
Wade Belak (Traded to Washington for 7th)
Jaroslav Modry (Can't recall)
Corey Perry (Traded to Nashville for Biron)
Glen Metropolit (Recently Traded to LA)
Johnny Pohl (Recently Traded to LA)
Trevor Linden (Recently Traded to LA)
Andre Roy (Recently Traded to LA)
Craig Adams (Recently Traded to LA)
Mike Rathje (Traded to Carolina with Tkutchuk and Foote)
Nolan Schaefer (Recently Traded to LA)
Steve Shields (Can't Recall)
Andreas Lilja (Can't Recall)
Chris Clark (Traded to Detroit for 5th):cry:
Rod Brind'Amour (Traded to Atlanta along with Foote for Koivu Brothers)
Jeff Halpern (Can't recall)
Nolan Baumgartner (Can't Recall)
Jon Klemm (Waived)
Jason Arnott (Can't Recall)
Keith Tkachuk (Traded to Carolina)
Michael Rupp (Can't Recall)
Willie Mitchell (Traded to Buffalo last season)
Saku Koivu (Traded to Washington in a Niedermayer and Weight Deal)
Scott Niedermayer (Traded to SJfor 2 st and Saprykin):cry:
Jason Ward (Traded to Toronto for Nothing)
Mark Recchi (Waived)
Ales Kotalik (Traded to Phoenix for Tkutchuk)
Mark Bell (Traded to Dallas for Arnott)
Martin St-Louis (Traded to Minessota for J. Modry):cry:
Roman Hamrlik (Can't Recall)
Scott Hannan (Can't Recall)
Tony Lydman (Traded to Ottawa for 1st)

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Rick DiPietro (Traded to Carolina for Chris Gomez)

I remember this deal... I think you meant Scott Gomez. I remember those times. Gomez was on the LW ripping up the league for a poor team and had linemates Wes Walz and Valeri Kamensky. That was an awesome line. Great Chemistry. You didn't do too badly in this deal. RD + 1st for Gomez + Kotalik. Good deal except for the fact that the 1st turned out to be DP3.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Joe Corvo (Traded to Colorado in Jagr Deal)

Wasn't Corvo part of the Pasi Nurminen trade? Something like Pasi Nurminen for Joe Corvo, Nolan Yonkman and someone else?

Nurminen retired one year later after being a bad backup for you, playing about 700 minutes with a 3.09 GAA and .874 SV%, compared to Cechmanek's 2.28 and .905..

Corvo went on to be a bargain defenseman at league minimum for me until I moved him for Boucher last season. Boucher was traded this offseason for Kotalik, Voloshenko and picks.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Wasn't Corvo part of the Pasi Nurminen trade? Something like Pasi Nurminen for Joe Corvo, Nolan Yonkman and someone else?

Nurminen retired one year later after being a bad backup for you, playing about 700 minutes with a 3.09 GAA and .874 SV%, compared to Cechmanek's 2.28 and .905..

Corvo went on to be a bargain defenseman at league minimum for me until I moved him for Boucher last season. Boucher was traded this offseason for Kotalik, Voloshenko and picks.

Yea Corvo was part of the deal for Passi. Unfortunatley Passi had a freak accident and retired the following year. I made the deal because I was loaded in defence and and had a solid forwards and Chachmanak was my #1 goalie and was rated 84.

It is interesting to look back and see how each of these trades turned out.

I also remember making another deal with you which included Martin Broduer for Jagr which I believe turned out well for both of us because right after the trade I flipped Jagr to Washington for Sykora and Marleau. The deal also was good for Washington as they ended up going all the way to the finals that year.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
I remember this deal... I think you meant Scott Gomez. I remember those times. Gomez was on the LW ripping up the league for a poor team and had linemates Wes Walz and Valeri Kamensky. That was an awesome line. Great Chemistry. You didn't do too badly in this deal. RD + 1st for Gomez + Kotalik. Good deal except for the fact that the 1st turned out to be DP3.

No I didn't do too bad on this deal but I did really bad on a deal which included trading Gomez and 1st to San Jose for Jeff O'Neil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad