Fun Thread - Making the NHL

HFNHL Red Wings

Seto & Patzold make the Sharks opening day roster. Kaspar is sent down. Downie is sent down by Philly & has his 20 game suspension (which could turn out to be 40 games if he gets 20 in the AHL and then another 20 when he gets called up the the NHL.)

Was Kaspar sent down or released? WaymoreSports did not list him or Greiss as reassigned to the AHL but are listed as 'released'.

http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/hockey/player.cgi?4602
http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/hockey/player.cgi?4637

This seemed very strange to me and so I'm not sure if it's just an error or not.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
For the Canadiens, the following prospects are still with there respective teams camps.

Dan Girardi - lock
David Clarkson - likely
Anton Stralman - has been impressive, if he doesn't make the team, he will amongst the 1st to be called up
Tim Brent - he will likely be cut, however may recieve occasional call up
David Booth - lock
Ilya Zubov - likley cut, will recieve the occasional call up
Ryan O'Byrne - likely cut, will be called up frequently
Ondrej Pavelec - he may suprise due to Lehtonen's groin flaring up again.
Eric Fehr - very likely
MA Pouliot - lock
David Perron - will likely get sent back to juniors

UPDATE: Brent and Pavelec just got cut

Well it looks like my predictions were correct thus far, other then Perron. I thought he would have definitely been sent to juniors by now.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Anaheim:
Bobby Ryan: Looks like he'll be starting the season on a line with Getzlaf and Bertuzzi. Calder trophy candidate - Made the team

Buffalo:
Mark Mancari: Is in the battle for a 4th line spot, but will most likely start the season in AHL and get called up during the season. - Last forward to be cut

Colorado:
Jeff Jillson: Fighting Sauer, Cuminsky, Boychuk, Finger and Purinton for the final two spots on the Colorado defense. - One of the last defensemen to be cut, along with Boychuk and Cuminsky

Columbus:
Kris Russell: Will be the no.1 PPQB in Columbus and log a lot of icetime. Calder trophy candidate - Made the team

Dallas:
Krys Barch: Looking to take over Barnaby's old role as the tough guy in the Stars lineup. - Made the team

Detroit:
Valtteri Filppula: Will start as the 3rd line center on a line with Cleary and Draper. If Zeta and Datsyuk are put on the same line, Filppula will center the 2nd line. Made the team
Matias Ritola: Has worked his ass off in camp, but will start in the AHL. Possible callups if injuries amount. - Among the last cuts in Detroit, with Ryno, Grigorenko and Hartigan.

New Jersey:
Nick Palmieri: From the talks of the Devils brass, Palmieri has a very good chance to make the team next year if he keeps up his play. - Was among the last players cut by the devils.

Islanders:
Sean Bergenheim: Will most likely start out on the 3rd or 4th line, but could end up as high as the top line by the end of the year. Made the team.
Blake Comeau: Is making it hard for the coaches to send him down. Will however probably start in the AHL and be the first forward to be called up. One of the forwards in the last cut.

Ottawa:
Nick Foligno: Will make the team. Especially now since McAmmond is out. - Made the team
Brian Lee: Has been impressive, but could use some time in the AHL to polish his game and get as much icetime as possible. - Last D to be cut.

Philadelphia:
Ryan Parent: Has looked good, but might need some more time in the AHL. Has an outside chance to make the team. - Cut.

Tampa Bay:
Mike Lundin: Is in the battle for the last two spot in Tampa with Smaby, Janik and Lampman. 2nd comming of Paul Ranger? - Made the team over Lampman. Will have to battle Janik and Smaby to keep his spot once Boyle returns.

Vancouver:
Mason Raymond: Is one of the candidates for the other winger on the 2nd line. He's in a battle with Shannon and Isbister. - Made the team.
Rick Rypien: Outside shot of a 4th line/13th forward spot. Will most likely play in AHL and get a few callups. - Last forward to be cut.

Washington:
Niklas Bäckström: Will play in the top 6 on a line with two of Nylander, Ovechkin, Kozlov, Semin and Clark. Calder trophy candidate - Made the team

So 9 players made their teams. 6 more were the last to be cut on their positions on their teams, and will most likely get some games up in the big league.

Last edited:

Default101

well here's a good sign for my 19 year old netminder

There are several new faces on the Blue Jackets current roster. Among the players who could make their CBJ debuts this week are – C Kris Beech (free agent; 2006-07 – Washington), LW Jared Boll (rookie; 2006-07 – Plymouth/OHL), D Jan Hejda (free agent; 2006-07 – Edmonton), G Steve Mason (rookie; 2006-07 – London/OHL), C Jiri Novotny (free agent; 2006-07 – Buffalo/Washington), C Michael Peca (free agent; 2006-07 – Toronto) and Kris Russell (rookie; 2006-07 – Medicine Hat/WHL).

straight off the bluejackets.nhl.com website.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I think it's been a pretty disappointing NHL camp for a lot of Panthers prospects so far. I expected a lot of my prospects to break through into the NHL this year in more permanent roles, but that doesn't look like the case.

Bryan Little (ATL) - At least its starting to look good for one of the Panthers best prospects, as he's apparently really impressed coach Bob Hartley and scored 2 goals in preseason action last night. It's looking more and more like Little could start the year on one of the Thrashers top 2 lines. Made the cut and will be centering one of the top lines

Tom Gilbert (EDM) - After a nice showing in Edmonton to finish out last season, Gilbert is still in the mix for a roster spot this year. However, the Oilers have a lot of defenseman whom would need to clear waivers should they be sent down. Even though Gilbert has apparently been very good, he may be caught up in the numbers game. Made the cut, pushing Ladislav Smid to the AHL

Marc Methot (CBJ) - Has apparently been one of the Jackets best defenseman in camp, however similar to Gilbert, he may be caught in a numbers game where hes one of the few eligible to be sent down without having to pass through waivers. Made the cut, it appears as one of the 7 Jackets defenseman

Matt Foy (MIN) - Could be a make or break year or even camp for Foy. He's apparently on the bubble in the fight for the last forward spot, and if demoted he would need to pass through waivers. Made the cut as Minnesota's 12-13th forward

Zach Stortini (EDM) - Another guy apparently on the bubble in Edmonton and with the emergence of some of their younger forwards (Cogliano and Gagner), Stortini may also be caught in a numbers game. However, he still remains the top candidate for a 13th forward spot. Demoted in the last Edmonton cuts

Michael Ryan (BUF) - For now, it looks like he has locked up a spot on the Sabres 4th line, which is encouraging because if he would have been sent down, he would have had to pass through waivers and his NHL hopes dimmed. Hopefully he can stick. Made the cut and will start on Buffalo's 4th line with fellow Panther Adam Mair

Evan Mcgrath and Ryan Oulahen (DET) - Somehow, both of these guys are still alive in the fight for the final couple of forward spots on the Wings. Word is that both are being rewarded for strong play, but that they don't have much chance to make the team. Still pretty encouraging to see in a couple of prospects who have struggled with the adjustment to the pro game. Both were demoted in recent Wings cuts

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Good thread idea!

Should break camp with the big club:

Kyle Brodziak-Edm (3rd line RW)
Robert Nilsson-Edm (2nd line RW)
Nicklas Bergfors-NJD (somewhere on top two lines)
Brandon Dubinsky-NYR (3rd line center)

Will see time with the big boys this year

Michael Funk-Buff
Clarke MacArthur-Buff (He still might make it to start the year....but perhaps not)
Tyler Kennedy-Pittsburgh
Steven Wagner- St Louis (still in camp, still may make it as the #6 d-man)

MacArthur and Wagner both made it, so that's 6 rookies to start the year with the big club.

Default101

Jeff Schultz - Big 6'6" Schultz remains in camp with the Capitals, he has top 2 defenceman potential, and could be talking contract soon with the Coyotes depending on how the defenceman situation progresses since the Coyotes already have 10 defencemen under contract capable of playing in the HFNHL this season. Schultz has solidified his spot on the roster, and should be a top 4 defenceman with Jurcina Poti and Morrisonn.. atleast untill Eminger returns

Steve Mason - The 19 year old goaltender, who was acquired in the 2nd round of this June's draft is still in camp and awaiting the final cuts, could this teenage goaltender be one of the few in recent history of the league to occupy an NHL spot? bernier did it this year with LA, can Steve do it in Columbus? Mason shocks the NHL by being the 3rd 19 year old goaltender kept by his NHL team With Peca, Modin and Foote on the IR he has an indefinate spot on the roster, however will have to fight for playing time.. should a trade occur with a goaltender he would be a permanent fixture on the NHL roster. Great work by a goaltender only drafted 3 months ago in the 2nd round of the HFNHL entry draft.

Jiri Tlusty - Tlusty is still at camp and has enjoyed time with his new linemates of recent - Mats Sundin and Jason Blake, Tlusty looks poised to make the final cuts and will play his final preseason game in Detroit.Was among the final forwards cut. Not bad for a player that just turned 19 a few months back and has only been in north america for a year. Tlusty would likely be the #1 call-up for forwards due to re-entry waivers.

Carsen Germyn - Remains on the Coyotes prospects list, but is on his way to making the final cuts in Calgary's camp.Was the second last forward cut and depending on the forward injured would be set as first call-up.

David LeNeveu - Was a victim of the numbers game in phoenix, and was sent down, his attitude is a problem, but his athleticism and abilities are first rate should be a huge year for LeNeveu one way or the other, impossible to predict. Will start in the AHL full time, if attitude is in check could have a big year, and if injuries come up he would be the one to get the call.

Anthony Stewart - Has looked solid in camp, scored a goal in one of his last pre-season game vs. Chicago, had a good shot of making the final cuts, but was one of the final 2 forwards sent down. One of the final forwards cut by Florida, should be a first call up, and will get time to develop his talents as he has plenty but it just hasn't developed for him yet.

Ryan Munce - Munce who's name was lost for awhile, was part of the final cuts by the Tampa Bay Lightning Munce was the final goaltender cut, if unfortunate circumstances happen in Tampa, he may actually get some action with the big club.. should start in the AHL.

Sebastien Bisallion - Played hard in camp and was part of the second last cuts in Oilers camp. Will most likely be a first or second call up on the blueline for the young oilers should injuries arise.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
MacArthur and Wagner both made it, so that's 6 rookies to start the year with the big club.

Is this the same Wagner that's listed on the Vancouver farm roster? Looks like Vancouver signed him as a UFA prospect this summer.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=404383&highlight=wagner

Minnesota Steven Wagner was drafted 245th overall in the 8th round in 2004.
http://www.hfnhl.com/draft/2004Draft.htm

I did a search on HockeyDB and found:
1) a Stephen Wagner. He's a goalie born in 1977, drafted by STL in the 6th round in 1996.
2) a Steve Wagner. A defenseman born 1984, signed as a UFA from NCAA, who is currently playing with STL in the NHL.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid[]=30741&pid[]=69793

I guess there was a type-o on the name, or maybe he dropped the "n" from Steven at some point.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Is this the same Wagner that's listed on the Vancouver farm roster? Looks like Vancouver signed him as a UFA prospect this summer.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=404383&highlight=wagner

Minnesota Steven Wagner was drafted 245th overall in the 8th round in 2004.
http://www.hfnhl.com/draft/2004Draft.htm

I did a search on HockeyDB and found:
1) a Stephen Wagner. He's a goalie born in 1977, drafted by STL in the 6th round in 1996.
2) a Steve Wagner. A defenseman born 1984, signed as a UFA from NCAA, who is currently playing with STL in the NHL.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid[]=30741&pid[]=69793

I guess there was a type-o on the name, or maybe he dropped the "n" from Steven at some point.

Steve and Steven are pretty much interchangable. Steve is just a nickname for Steven, so it makes sense that he's the same guy Minny drafted.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Welcome to the NHL, Chris Bourque. He made his NHL debut Tuesday night with the Washington Capitals. He had 2 SOG and 2 PIM in about 12 minutes of icetime in his first game.

Forward Drew Miller and goaltender Tobias Stephan have also made their NHL debuts this season (regular season debut in Miller's case - he played 5 playoffs games for Anaheim on their way to the Cup last summer). Stephan stopped 38 of 40 shots in an OT loss vs. Calgary before being sent back down. Miller now has 2G + 1A for 3 points in 11 games this season.

Matt Keetley is still on Calgary's NHL roster but has yet to make his debut while backing up Kiprusoff.

Last edited:

HFNHL Red Wings

For the Wings:
Martin Hanzal (PHX) - he's looking to make the opening night roster the question is whether he'll stick and in what role

Curtis McIlhenney (CGY) - looks like he'll be the opening night backup but again it's a question of how many games he'll actually play behind Kipper. There's still the question of whether the Flames might resign McLennan to come back.

Mikhail Grabovski (MTL) - He's in a fight for the opening night roster but there's so much young talent coming up in Montreal (Go Habs!) I expect a regular rotation of guys from Hamilton to Montreal. I'll be pleased if he gets in 25+ pro games.

Update:
Martin Hanzal – Started the season centering the 4th line and has been seeing increased time including some time on the powerplay. Currently has 8 pts in 13 games which is 4th in NHL rookie scoring.

Mikhail Grabovski – He’s been splitting time primarily with Kyle Chipchura and while he has shown to be an exciting player so far the pts are not there.
In a way he reminds of Afinogenov in his early days – speed to burn and can dangle but doesn’t use his teammates effectively in the offensive zone. That said his two usual linemates (Kostitsyn and Kovalev) also tend to hold onto the puck themselves as well so the line chemistry has not been ideal.

Curtis McElhenney – So far we are still waiting to see what he can do. After recovering from a brief injury he watched from the bench with the exception of a 20 minute stint after Kiprusoff was yanked.
He is now back in the AHL to get some games in and should be back up later this season.

Eric Nystrom – After having missed almost all of last season with injuries it has been a pleasant surprise to see him up with Calgary even if it’s only in a limited role.

Mike Weber – Very surprised to have seen Buffalo call the 19yo defensive dman up for injury duty. While it’s only been 4 games he did not look out of place in the one game I saw. Given that even in junior he was not a scorer the key stat for him is that his +/- has been ‘E’ for all 4 games he’s played while most Buffalo dmen are on the wrong side of the +/-.
I expect (and hope) he is returned to the AHL shortly but this should be a good vote of confidence and hopefully signs of things to come.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
No, I drafted Wagner in '04. Vancouver should not have been able to sign.

My bad. I thought I had checked, but obviously not or not well enough. I'm not the type to make excuses, but it was pretty hard to take care of all of free agency (doing all my research) from Africa. ;)

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
My bad. I thought I had checked, but obviously not or not well enough. I'm not the type to make excuses, but it was pretty hard to take care of all of free agency (doing all my research) from Africa. ;)

And it's not like I even noticed until someone else pointed it out. :)

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Probably in:
Daniel Paille: Energy winger for the Sabres should be full time this season. 6 points in 12 games on the energy line.
Andrew Cogliano: Not expected to make it at first, but has been the revelation of Oilers camp. May not stick, but will get a look to start the season it looks like. Looks like he is in Edmonton to stay with 9 points in 15 games. Defensive play has been the surprise with 2 of his 3 goals coming short-handed

Possibly in:
Dustin Byfuglien: Fighting for the 6th spot with the Hawks. After player of the week in the AHL, Bubba was called up and scored 1 goal in his 3 games thus far.
Josh Gorges: Fighting for the 6th spot with the Habs. And still fighting. PLayed about half the games, and spent the rest in the press box.
Alvaro Montoya: Combine his cap hit and the Rangers interest in seeing him get games in, and he might get sent down, despite earning the back-up spot. Sent to the minors and will stay there until traded. King Henrik isn't going anywhere.
Jared Boll: Right out of junior, he is surprisingly earning the muscle roll with the Jackets on their 4th line. In Columbus to stay. A couple of goals and a ton of fights, he is getting a lot of credit for making the new Jackets tough to play against.

Should see time:
David Bolland: Injury early in camp meant he couldn't earn a spot, but should be a call-up in short order. Already called up and has 3 points in his first 5 games with the Hawks.
Adam Pineault: A great rookie and pro camp, but will still start in the A. Off to a slow start in the AHL, so likely there for the season.
Oskars Bartulis: The Flyers are deep in young blueliners, but he has impressed in his first pro camp. Playing well in the A, but the Flyers are deep on the blueline so will likely spend the season there.
Logan Stephenson: Solid defensive blueliner is likely another year away, but will get a call-up or two. Will spend more time in the AHL it looks like.
Danny Syvret: Saw time last year, but the Oilers are deeper this year on the blueline. Traded as part of the Kris Draper deal.

Also, depth veterans such as Gamache, Ling, Baumgartner, Pollock, Trudel, Kolanos and Werner could float between the AHL and NHL all season. Gamache was the only guy in the pros and that looks to be over with. Werner ultimately took off for Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad