Proposal: Fun one involving Calgary, NJ and Buffalo

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Ok then, Ullmark still has a better goals saved above expected (in fewer games too). Ullmark is 4 years younger and has a vezina win. Do I need to remind you that Markstrom had the 10th worst goals saved above expected in 2022-23? Markstrom played just 8 more games than Ullmark, are we really supposed to believe that he can play more than that at age 34 and be effective? Markstrom has been better than last year, which is why I said he was worth a super late first or slightly less, but don’t try to act like he is anything more than an 34 year old average starting goalie.
It depends on what the Devils think they have in Schmid and/or Daws if they project them as starters in 2 to 3 seasons they are not gonna trade for Saros or Ullmark because they would have to commit long term in 1 season.
That said there is no way Markstrom by himself even with retention gets that 10th OA pick

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
given fitz's quotes about ongoing dialog with trotz, the emergence of askarov, and saros' expiring deal, yeah i think there's a possibility he gets traded. ullmark would be fine too. aside from a few months here and there, markstrom is elderly garbage compared to those two. the most i'd pay for him pay a 3rd rounder and some ahl nobody, and that's if calgary retained,
Again, some truth and some falsehood. Ullmark has never played 50 games in the league. Who is playing the other 35 games with him? His goals saved above expected is almost identical to Markstrom. Saros goals saved above expected is lower than Markstrom. He's also used to very low shot totals. Is that how NJ plays?

I'm genuinely puzzled by the lower thought process tier fans in NJ reaction to Markstrom. He's been top 10 in the league for 5 of the last 6 seasons in goals saved above expected. This is the key metric for any goalie. Playing in Boston as an example is very easy. Playing in NJ not so much.

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Show us the history of those trades and we can equal it and add slightly.
We obviously need a G but all of these insane returns never come to fruition. Makstrom for 10OA! Please!

Both Jersey and Bos fanbases are good with Ullmark for a '25 1st and a 3rd or prospect of similar value
Cory Schneider for the 9th overall pick. I admit that these trades happen very rarely but I do believe that Nj and Buffalo are in a very unique situation that theyre so loaded with young guys that an extra 10th or 11th overall pick becomes redundant and those players may not reach their full potential (similar to Lafreniere in NYR). You need a legit stud of a starter way more and Markstrom fits the bill which is why I thought that this could be the basis of a trade that both sides can tweak to make the cap and value work a bit better.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Cory Schneider for the 9th overall pick. I admit that these trades happen very rarely but I do believe that Nj and Buffalo are in a very unique situation that theyre so loaded with young guys that an extra 10th or 11th overall pick becomes redundant and those players may not reach their full potential (similar to Lafreniere in NYR). You need a legit stud of a starter way more and Markstrom fits the bill which is why I thought that this could be the basis of a trade that both sides can tweak to make the cap and value work a bit better.
You're correct CS for Horvat

Your unique is my terrible (rather be in the playoffs) LOL, but I understand you. I agree that the pick is not the final piece that puts us over, and that a elite G it part of the answer for sure. But, you don't give away things for less value just because. We have a slight disadvantage (not as much as TDL when we were still possibly in the playoffs). And I have no problem with Markstrom, but not at 10OA. As I said Bos fans are asking for our '25 1st and a 3rd in many threads for Ullmark. That seems fair, but he's almost 5 yrs younger, but a yr less contract. I think Markstrom with the extra yr was important because they can bring Daws and Schmid etc along without pushing (sort of did already, but trying to rectify that), who knows. That would put MArkstroms value less than Ullmarks in this case. Retention would help but we don't need it as much now. So a full contract for Markstrom knowing what Ullmarks return should be, is what then to Fitz?

I see them looking hard (regardless of available or not, assets needed to get/or not) at- Saros, Askarov, Ullmark, Swayman as first tier guys (again not that some of these are available- I know these are top Gs, so please dont @ me). And then second tier and lower guys Jarry, Samsonov, Stolarz and the rest. Fitz needs to get a G his job is on the line. He also need a good coach, some more depth at LD, and a bottom 3/4 with grit speed, nasty but ability to play, not plugs. Thanks for listening to me Ted talk! LOl

Reactions: PatrickMcC

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
yes like NJ needed Josh Anderson instead Nemec.

Reactions: Nocashstyle

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Cory Schneider was 27, Markstrom is 34 and can't put together two good seasons in a row to save his life. Just stop.
Semantics… both are (were at the time in Schneiders case) elite goalies.

Also to your last comment

????

Attachments

• IMG_2655.jpeg
    IMG_2655.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 3

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
But you are wrong and way off on value. Continue to educate us though on what Markstrom is worth in the open market.

Semantics… both are (were at the time in Schneiders case) elite goalies.

Also to your last comment

????
Are you trolling? What you are circling isn’t helping your case.

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
But you are wrong and way off on value. Continue to educate us though on what Markstrom is worth in the open market.

Are you trolling? What you are circling isn’t helping your case.
Then fix the value, make a counter proposal, do something productive rather than just being rude and condescending. I provided precedent to this trade of similar foundation. Also it’s the 10th overall pick you can get Mikko Rantanen or Nick Ritchie, they’re magic beans lmao. People overvalue draft picks way too much.

While I’m at it, half of this thread is full of people that need to go touch grass, it’s a hockey forum not real life negotiations FFS.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Then fix the value, make a counter proposal, do something productive rather than just being rude and condescending. I provided precedent to this trade of similar foundation. Also it’s the 10th overall pick you can get Mikko Rantanen or Nick Ritchie, they’re magic beans lmao. People overvalue draft picks way too much.

While I’m at it, half of this thread is full of people that need to go touch grass, it’s a hockey forum not real life negotiations FFS.
why-mad-hockey.gif

Its a hockey forum and you CHOSE to make a thread, Every Devils fan that has posted doesn't like the proposed trade. If you don't want the fanbases opinion why not just title the thread "fun-one-involving-calgary-nj-and-buffalo (NJ fans don't post)"

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Tough day man, tough day. People take these forums way too seriously
How about Markstrom for the UFA rights to Kahkonen? Calgary gets a much younger goalie they can sign to a much more team friendly contract before he hits the open market. He was at .920 with NJ which is elite. Sounds like a win win to me.

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
why-mad-hockey.gif

It’s a hockey forum and you CHOSE to make a thread, Every Devils fan that has posted doesn't like the proposed trade. If you don't want the fanbases opinion why not just title the thread "fun-one-involving-calgary-nj-and-buffalo (NJ fans don't post

Tough day man, tough day. People take these forums way too seriously
Also I don’t have an issue with people disagreeing but be productive to the conversation post a counter trade offer, do something. Like it costs nothing to be nice to people. If you really disagree that much then you don’t have to respond to the thread either.

Also I don’t have an issue with people disagreeing but be productive to the conversation post a counter trade offer, do something. Like it costs nothing to be nice to people. If you really disagree that much then you don’t have to respond to the thread either.
Half the people are just being rude and condescending in their replies while contributing nothing to this thread.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

Half the people are just being rude and condescending in their replies while contributing nothing to this thread.
you don't get. the initial base (markstrom for devils 1st 24) of your proposal is a non-starter for the devils. it's simply a NO.

if you want the devils 1st a retained markstrom would only be a throw in. look at the maf trade as a comparable if you want to gain some insight regarding markstrom's trade value.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Some of your post is correct. I do think Markstrom isn't worth 10OA. I think he's worth somewhere in the late teens in this year's draft.

The post where you say he is an average 34 year old goalie is very incorrect. Markstrom has been top 10 in GSAE for 5 of the last 6 years.

Ullmark has never been a full time starter. He's never played 50 games yet alone 60 like Markstrom had multiple times. He's always been in a tandem. That's not the same thing.

Evaluating goalies based on one year is a fools errand. Ullmark has proven he can play at a high level in a tandem. Who exactly is going to play the 40 games he doesn't play in NJ?
The problem is it us just not goaltending in NJ it was system based and breaking in 2 to three young dmen overplaying guys like Smith....Once they added the two vets they played good enough for us to win almost every game.....Markstrom is just not worth a tenth overall more like a second at his age and aav....

It depends on what the Devils think they have in Schmid and/or Daws if they project them as starters in 2 to 3 seasons they are not gonna trade for Saros or Ullmark because they would have to commit long term in 1 season.
That said there is no way Markstrom by himself even with retention gets that 10th OA pick
Daws is good prospect and the best might be Malek....

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'm thinking Calgary can dream about getting that pick for Markstrom, but no chance that's going to happen. You can hope for a late 1st and you should be happy if you get it.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

I think it's because the premise of your idea is so crazy that no tweaking is possible. There is no counter proposal without scrapping it all.

You will simply not get 10th overall in a trade for Markstrom. That's just a non-starter. The value isn't realistic.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
You never know what’s going to happen in the off season. Ullmark has been rumored to be on the move and depending on what happens in the playoffs Saros could be dangled. Other surprise teams could want to make a change. Cap is going up pretty substantially. Could be a crazy off season.
Frederik Andersen could be on the move too. At some point Carolina is going to commit to Kochetkov

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The problem is it us just not goaltending in NJ it was system based and breaking in 2 to three young dmen overplaying guys like Smith....Once they added the two vets they played good enough for us to win almost every game.....Markstrom is just not worth a tenth overall more like a second at his age and aav....

Daws is good prospect and the best might be Malek....
I agree he's not worth 10th OA. He's also not worth a 2nd. He's worth a pick in the late teens. Trying to simultaneously go young on the blueline and not having goaltending is why I would fire Fitz if I was the owner. That's not a mistake an NHL GM should make.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I agree he's not worth 10th OA. He's also not worth a 2nd. He's worth a pick in the late teens. Trying to simultaneously go young on the blueline and not having goaltending is why I would fire Fitz if I was the owner. That's not a mistake an NHL GM should make.
He has tried to fill it and e with older goalies it does not work....A better coach system and two vet goalies this team is in playoffs next year....We disagree on value imo late first only with retention...Your owner did Fitz a favor and stopped him from giving up the first and a player or two but hurt your team....One thing I like about Markstrom is the two yrs to get to Daws or Malek other then that if ask is high look elsewhere....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad