Proposal: Fun one involving Calgary, NJ and Buffalo

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Yeah but he played for the Bruins. Do the devils want to sign a guy for an additional 6 years and introduce him to their run and gun style? Seems risky to me.

Definitely risky.

As someone who watched the vast majority of his games in Buffalo, I can say with some certainty that Ullmark is a great goalie that can put up good numbers behind just about any defense, even if it is terrible..... but..... if you ask him to make highlight reel saves a bunch of times every night, he will make those saves, but he will get injured all the time in the process and miss more games than he plays.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You guys dropped the ball. Flames overplayed their hand at the deadline. They're going to be lucky to get half the value they were offered at the deadline. 0 chance a top 10 pick gets moved for Markstrom. You're living in fantasy land if you think that's even a remote possibility. Can that 10th round pick get moved for a goalie? Sure but it won't be for Markstrom. Rumor is Flames got offered a late 1st and Holtz at the deadline (this was Markstrom at peak value, getting him for a run this year to get us into the playoffs and before his play fell off). NJ wouldn't budge any higher than that & they wanted 50% retention. Now that late 1st turned into a top 10 pick, & Markstrom has fallen off with 1 less year of term. There's 0 possibility of this happening anymore. Blame your GM for this. He had a good deal on the table & should of taken it but didn't like an idiot.
Why would we blame the GM when he pulled the trigger and ownership nixed the deal? Maybe you should at least have a clue about what went on before you pop off half cocked.

I think Buffalo would say yes and NJ would say no. That goalie is not worth a 1st let alone a pick that high.
Andersson is definitely worth that pick + something smaller, but I'm just not sure Buffalo wouldn't be better off parlaying it into a tough minutes center. They do need a right shot guy, but maybe there's a deal out there for a right shot guy using one of their lefties as the key piece. I'm not sold on Power personally. Not saying he's a bust, but that's a risky contract to be carrying.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
From a cap mgmt standpoint.. buffalo cant do it. Before acquiring byram they had thr room.

It would have to be more salary neutral trade like byran+ for andesen+.

On his own as anderssen usnt goingvto s top 12 pick. Hes s rental nie with 2 yrs left. Next summer post june a new team could discuss conttat extension.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Why would we blame the GM when he pulled the trigger and ownership nixed the deal? Maybe you should at least have a clue about what went on before you pop off half cocked.

Andersson is definitely worth that pick + something smaller, but I'm just not sure Buffalo wouldn't be better off parlaying it into a tough minutes center. They do need a right shot guy, but maybe there's a deal out there for a right shot guy using one of their lefties as the key piece. I'm not sold on Power personally. Not saying he's a bust, but that's a risky contract to be carrying.
True, your are right that ownership nixed the deal and they are 95% at fault, but as the GM he should of tried harder to convince them about the risk/reward ratio and try and get them to believe that was the best offer they can get. Maybe the GM did try this, who knows what goes on behind the scenes. It's even worse that owners are at fault here rather than the GM. The last thing any team wants is for owners to start meddling in the business.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
True, your are right that ownership nixed the deal and they are 95% at fault, but as the GM he should of tried harder to convince them about the risk/reward ratio and try and get them to believe that was the best offer they can get. Maybe the GM did try this, who knows what goes on behind the scenes. It's even worse that owners are at fault here rather than the GM. The last thing any team wants is for owners to start meddling in the business.
The old GM literally quit because the owner can't be reasoned with. We've had 3 good trades now nixed by ownership. Ownership forced the Huberdeau signing and trade. Treliving had a deal with Carolina that included Necas and other futures. Edwards killed it.

Yes it's a tough situation when you have bad ownership.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Lol if markstrom gets 10th then Ullmark will get Celebrini. Markstrom will maybe get a super late first and probably not even that. He had a 905 save percentage at age 34 how in the world is he going to get anything of value?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Krebs is overrated garbage
That's...bold. He's about where Backlund was at the same age. A bit ahead of where he was actually.

Lol if markstrom gets 10th then Ullmark will get Celebrini. Markstrom will maybe get a super late first and probably not even that. He had a 905 save percentage at age 34 how in the world is he going to get anything of value?
Save percentage is how buffoons evaluate goaltending. Goals saved above expected is what NHL teams and people who know goaltending use. Ullmark has never even played 50 games in the league.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
That's...bold. He's about where Backlund was at the same age. A bit ahead of where he was actually.

Save percentage is how buffoons evaluate goaltending. Goals saved above expected is what NHL teams and people who know goaltending use. Ullmark has never even played 50 games in the league.
Ok then, Ullmark still has a better goals saved above expected (in fewer games too). Ullmark is 4 years younger and has a vezina win. Do I need to remind you that Markstrom had the 10th worst goals saved above expected in 2022-23? Markstrom played just 8 more games than Ullmark, are we really supposed to believe that he can play more than that at age 34 and be effective? Markstrom has been better than last year, which is why I said he was worth a super late first or slightly less, but don’t try to act like he is anything more than an 34 year old average starting goalie.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Ok then, Ullmark still has a better goals saved above expected (in fewer games too). Ullmark is 4 years younger and has a vezina win. Do I need to remind you that Markstrom had the 10th worst goals saved above expected in 2022-23? Markstrom played just 8 more games than Ullmark, are we really supposed to believe that he can play more than that at age 34 and be effective? Markstrom has been better than last year, which is why I said he was worth a super late first or slightly less, but don’t try to act like he is anything more than an 34 year old average starting goalie.
Some of your post is correct. I do think Markstrom isn't worth 10OA. I think he's worth somewhere in the late teens in this year's draft.

The post where you say he is an average 34 year old goalie is very incorrect. Markstrom has been top 10 in GSAE for 5 of the last 6 years.

Ullmark has never been a full time starter. He's never played 50 games yet alone 60 like Markstrom had multiple times. He's always been in a tandem. That's not the same thing.

Evaluating goalies based on one year is a fools errand. Ullmark has proven he can play at a high level in a tandem. Who exactly is going to play the 40 games he doesn't play in NJ?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
i wish devils fans were smart enough to not even react to this proposal.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I do think Fitz has to address the goaltending position this offseason. That or the owner should find a new GM who can. Fitz inability to find a goalie for me is a sign of incompetence. You can't have an inexperienced D and horrific goaltending.
i think you'd be hard pressed to find a devils fan who doesn't agree with that. but if we're dealing our pick, which i believe is very possible, it'll be for saros.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
i think you'd be hard pressed to find a devils fan who doesn't agree with that. but if we're dealing our pick, which i believe is very possible, it'll be for saros.
I am ok with moving the '24 pick but make it worthwhile for Bos then and add whatever for Swayman. And dont get all Mercer + Holtz++ etc.
Swayman had a shitty arb hearing. And maybe they dont, but if they get bounced before going deep, its not as unheard a convo

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
So you think Nashville is going to trade Saros? They are a playoff team. I think you're looking at Markstrom and possibly Ullmark being available for guys who really will be able to provide above average goaltending this summer.

I am ok with moving the '24 pick but make it worthwhile for Bos then and add whatever for Swayman. And dont get all Mercer + Holtz++ etc.
Swayman had a shitty arb hearing. And maybe they dont, but if they get bounced before going deep, its not as unheard a convo
Which of Luke Hughes or Nemec are you sending them? I don't think they even look at moving him for that pick. You want an elite young piece you need to give one back.

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Here’s a fun one:

Given the amount of youth on both New Jersey and Buffalo, they may consider moving their 10th and 11th overall picks.

How about this:

Markstrom to Nj for the 10th overall pick

And

Rasmus Andersson to Buffalo for the 11th overall pick.

What do you guys think?
Slightly over on the Markstrom trade it would have to be Markstrom at 50% and Vancouvers 1st for that pick and a 3rd.

Way under on the Buffalo trade Andersson is a 27YO right shot top pair dman with 2 yrs at $4.5 M. I would think a very good prospect would have to be added (wishful thinking would be Savoie but thats probably not gonna happen).

Last edited:

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
You guys need to relax, you take this stuff too seriously. Whoever NJ picks at 10th overall will be either a 3C or a 2nd pairing D on that Loaded NJ team. You guys could get that during FA or through a trade. #1 goalies that are consistent are way harder to find. Your pick will be way more useful as trade bait then by actually using it.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
So you think Nashville is going to trade Saros? They are a playoff team. I think you're looking at Markstrom and possibly Ullmark being available for guys who really will be able to provide above average goaltending this summer.
given fitz's quotes about ongoing dialog with trotz, the emergence of askarov, and saros' expiring deal, yeah i think there's a possibility he gets traded. ullmark would be fine too. aside from a few months here and there, markstrom is elderly garbage compared to those two. the most i'd pay for him pay a 3rd rounder and some ahl nobody, and that's if calgary retained,

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
You guys need to relax, you take this stuff too seriously. Whoever NJ picks at 10th overall will be either a 3C or a 2nd pairing D on that Loaded NJ team. You guys could get that during FA or through a trade. #1 goalies that are consistent are way harder to find. Your pick will be way more useful as trade bait then by actually using it.
Show us the history of those trades and we can equal it and add slightly.
We obviously need a G but all of these insane returns never come to fruition. Makstrom for 10OA! Please!

Both Jersey and Bos fanbases are good with Ullmark for a '25 1st and a 3rd or prospect of similar value

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00