From unimpressive juniors to impressive NHLer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
TJF said:
If he was really all that unimpressive in junior would he have been a 2nd overall pick. I don't think so, the thing about Shanahan in junior was that he was great but his team stunk. Basically the only reason scouts came to London during his 2 years there was to watch him and ONLY him.

Also his junior hockey team just recently retired his number a few weeks ago.

Well I realize the whole second overall pick thing works against what I'm saying.

It's just that Ive heard several times actually on this site from people whom remember what Shanny was like in junior and the fact that they thought he'd become a decent player, but never the superstar he became.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
TJF said:
If he was really all that unimpressive in junior would he have been a 2nd overall pick. I don't think so, the thing about Shanahan in junior was that he was great but his team stunk. Basically the only reason scouts came to London during his 2 years there was to watch him and ONLY him.

Also his junior hockey team just recently retired his number a few weeks ago.

The point is that for a guy who may hit 600 goals before his career is over, and could be a hall of famer at some point, his junior production and play was hardly fantastic.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Adam Oates dosent really fall in that catogory cause he had impressive numbers in college... but he was'nt even drafted...

The fact he racked 1400+ pts already in the NHL is pretty impressive for a guy that no one of the 21 club of the time though he was an NHLer!

BJ21

Kirk Muller*

Bonzai said:
What about Patrice Bergeron? Only one season in the Q and he has 18 pts in 29 games I think.

Yup. Before last season, he was playing midget, because the junior team said he should just stay there and then come up the next season. Prior to that midget season, he was still in bantam I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad