Frolov or Zherdev

Status
Not open for further replies.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
M_Y_T_H said:
Just wondering who you guys would prefer in a) Fantasy hockey keeper league and b) real life.

Thanks.

Frolov. (you were kidding, right? I mean, you aren't really comparing these two yet are you? No offence mate, just curious)

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Sorry mate. I don't know what a keeper league is but I get the hint now. Frolov now and in the future. He is on a pace to score more than double his production of 32 points last year and with his 7 goals 8 assists is +8 on a team that has had very few of its top players in the line up. When he is paired with Palffy and the like he is very good. He has just started over the past two weeks to show sings of dominating a game. Two times in that span he was just simply the best player on the ice for both of the teams he faced. He is quietly becomming a real star and I can only imagine what he will do once Ziggy and Armstrong are back and look out if we the Kings get Allison back this year.

Cammelleri has 8 points in 8 games and is playing great hockey. He has 16 points in 37 games. (played some last year before injury took him out) and he would be a great player to have out with Frolov and Allison.

Frolov is a real talent where I think it is just too dificult to say if Zherdev will even be able to make any sort of an impact in the NHL at all at this point or in the future. Frolov is your man. Sorry about the other post mate.

M_Y_T_H

Oct 9, 2003
Canada
Visit site
punchy1 said:
Sorry mate. I don't know what a keeper league is but I get the hint now. Frolov now and in the future. He is on a pace to score more than double his production of 32 points last year and with his 7 goals 8 assists is +8 on a team that has had very few of its top players in the line up. When he is paired with Palffy and the like he is very good. He has just started over the past two weeks to show sings of dominating a game. Two times in that span he was just simply the best player on the ice for both of the teams he faced. He is quietly becomming a real star and I can only imagine what he will do once Ziggy and Armstrong are back and look out if we the Kings get Allison back this year.

Cammelleri has 8 points in 8 games and is playing great hockey. He has 16 points in 37 games. (played some last year before injury took him out) and he would be a great player to have out with Frolov and Allison.

Frolov is a real talent where I think it is just too dificult to say if Zherdev will even be able to make any sort of an impact in the NHL at all at this point or in the future. Frolov is your man. Sorry about the other post mate.

No problem man. I've got a trifecta of deals shaking down in my keeper league and this is one of them, so I'm just looking for a few opinions.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Thanks MYTH. As to the other bloke, I was counting his scoring pace based on his last 15 games. Sorry for not stating that. He has had a significant turn for the better since then and he has upped his pace since. I thought for certain though that it was 32 but close enough.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
In a keeper league, I'd take Frolov hands down. I don't doubt Zherdev's potential, the question is whether or not he ever realizes it. Barring injury or act of God, Frolov is as can't-miss for a young player as you can get. Even if Zherdev may potentially put up better numbers in the future (which is debatable, considering their respective performances in the RSL), I'll take the fact that Frolov is already producing in the NHL to the bank.

Hell, everything I just said goes for Frolov in real life too.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
depends, wait and see how zherdev adapts to the NHL game, maybe the RSL just wasnt for him and thats why he struggled...

him and nash will be exciting to watch in a few years... hopfully for the sake of the jackets, the answer is zherdev

Frolov

Nov 24, 2003
It depends on what style you prefer.

Frolov is more of a two-way future selke canidate while Zerdev is a one demensional flashy Euro who's been critized for not going into trafic areas. Frolov on the other hand makes a living in trafic areas.

Dr_Chimera*

MOOSE55 said:
Frolov.....better now.....was a star in RSL, Zherdev struggled

You're getting some very skewed advice here...

Well, here's something to take into account:

Zherdev was a top-line scorer in the Superleague at the age of 17, while Frolov never made the Superleague until he was 19.

So, right now, even with his recent struggles, Zherdev is way ahead developmentally of Frolov at this stage (age: roughly 18).

That said, the safe pick is Frolov - I would be lying if I said that Zherdev does not worry me a bit - he doesn't strike me as a guy with the strongest will - he's a bit passive. He was kicked around for much of his career.

Then again, Zherdev is a good guy from what I've heard and has a pretty good attitude about things - just needs to get meaner.

I'd stick with Frolov - simply because it's a safety thing, but if you like to take chances, Zherdev has Frolov beat in terms of upside (and he's in the NHL earlier than Frolov by almost 2 full years).

Dr_Chimera*

Zherdev - 18-year old with 1 goal, 2 points, 5 shots tonight in his second NHL game. Making this one difficult:)

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
He was suppost to be the #1 pick up untill the coaching problem at the WJC. He is showing why, he should have had two goals but who is complaining.

Nash and Zherdev in the future will be scary.

Nash + Zherdev looks alot like Heatley + Kovalchuk

Both of his games so far, make me wonder if Zherdev's struggles in the RSL was because of the coaching crap.

How this kid could be demoted to the 5th line is beyond me.

MOOSE55

Mar 28, 2003
BARRIE, ONT
Visit site
Dr_Chimera said:
You're getting some very skewed advice here...

Well, here's something to take into account:

Zherdev was a top-line scorer in the Superleague at the age of 17, while Frolov never made the Superleague until he was 19.

So, right now, even with his recent struggles, Zherdev is way ahead developmentally of Frolov at this stage (age: roughly 18).

That said, the safe pick is Frolov - I would be lying if I said that Zherdev does not worry me a bit - he doesn't strike me as a guy with the strongest will - he's a bit passive. He was kicked around for much of his career.

Then again, Zherdev is a good guy from what I've heard and has a pretty good attitude about things - just needs to get meaner.

I'd stick with Frolov - simply because it's a safety thing, but if you like to take chances, Zherdev has Frolov beat in terms of upside (and he's in the NHL earlier than Frolov by almost 2 full years).

Frolov never made the RSL til 19 because, when he was 18, his team played in the upper league, when he was 19, his team moved to the RSL.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Zherdev turned 19 in early November, but, yea, 16 minutes in his second NHL game is scary.

I love one of his quotes from the draft. Something along the lines of...

"My play will make the three teams that didn't draft me very sorry."

Looks good so far. The Jackets may suck again this season, but watching Nash and Zherdev grow as players will make it well worth it.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Frolov 7 goals 9 assists +9 so far this season. The thing is that along with his steady scoring and play (even though I swear that his coach puts all of the forwards names in a bloody hat shakes it before every game and then decides who gets to play with Frolov and then rolls three six sided dice and whatever the total is that is how many minutes the kid will get a game) it is also that frolov will, as he has done during his entire hockey career (I believe he was a +22 in his last year in Red) play great two way hockey and always be a guy who is as good in his own end as he is in his opponents. If he were to play on a team that wasn't as focused on team D as his is right now he might bloody well be scoring off the scale too. It is important to gage a young player by their plus minus as well as thier scoring as it shows how well they are adapting to the game and it is also a great indicator of how well a player will stick in the NHl. It doesn't mean that a bloke like Pavel B isn't special, he is very special. It means that it depends on what you are looking for in a young player. Fedorov was a scoring monster and played great in his own end. Bure is a scoring monster who didn't. Which would you rather have in their primes on your team? Thats all i am saying and no, I am not comparing actual players or skills with those two hall of famers, i am making a point about their styles.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I would have said Frolov, but after watching tonights game........Zherdev is a PLAYER! He is an offensive monster. In a few years, a Nash/Zherdev combo is going to be very scary. Heck, it already was tonight. I would probably take Zherdev. He is the bigger risk, but I think he has the best offensive upside. Frolov will become a star, there is no doubt in my mind, but I think offensively, Zherdev can overcome him.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Wasn´t Zherdev a healthy scratch for the CSKA for the most of this season? Do you think Zherdev was not good enough to play for CSKA or was it all about politics?

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
Watched the game last night. Zherdev looked scary. He looked kind of like ummm.... Kovalchuk. Wouldn't it be cool if Columbus & Atlanta built up Stanley Cup contending teams if we had the pleasure of watching Kovalchuk/Heatley and Nash/Zherdev duke it out in the playoffs? :yo:

M_Y_T_H

Oct 9, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Enoch said:
I would have said Frolov, but after watching tonights game........Zherdev is a PLAYER! He is an offensive monster. In a few years, a Nash/Zherdev combo is going to be very scary. Heck, it already was tonight. I would probably take Zherdev. He is the bigger risk, but I think he has the best offensive upside. Frolov will become a star, there is no doubt in my mind, but I think offensively, Zherdev can overcome him.

I know...I was getting set to trade Zherdev for Frolov...last night scared me off....I can probably still get Frolov, although I'd probably have to give up Hemsky.

Dr_Chimera*

M_Y_T_H said:
I know...I was getting set to trade Zherdev for Frolov...last night scared me off....I can probably still get Frolov, although I'd probably have to give up Hemsky.

Hold on to him...
When it's a prospect-for-prospect trade and you have the one with more upside, always hold on to him.
If it was the other way around, it would be different - here, it's a principle thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad