Rumor: Frolik unhappy with ice time. Possible trade coming?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Posted this in the Around the Dome thread but I feel like this merits its own thread

Allan Walsh just posted this second tweet just after the end of the game

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Frolik is not going to have a ton of value. I feel like we would be worse off dealing him. If we get an injury, suddenly our good forward depth is gone.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Posted this in the Around the Dome thread but I feel like this merits its own thread

Allan Walsh just posted this second tweet just after the end of the second game

Dear, Alan

Maybe you can architect a trade for a useful goalie? Otherwise please shut up. Frolik is not a good top 6 player anymore...it's been a couple years. His icetime reflects his contribution accurately

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't think he'd be posting this if they weren't pushing for a trade.

All in all, though, I think this actually works out in the Flames' favour. The cap situation would be benefited greatly by the Flames getting rid of his contract before next year. And this sequence of events gives Treliving a plausible explanation for including him in trades other than "cap dump." Maybe it draws interest to the player as a guy who is better than he's showing due to the coach.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't think he'd be posting this if they weren't pushing for a trade.
The timing is strange though. He still has another year left on his deal so it's not like he needs to showcase himself for another contract at the moment. Plus every team in the GM in the league knows what kind of player he is.

The Flames are also playing extremely well right now and there's a chance we might go far this year. Why wouldn't he want to be a part of that?

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I just don't know what to think about these posts by Frolik's agent. Is this something initiated by Frolik or is it all on Walsh. I mean its not like Frolik is in the last year of his contract.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I just don't know what to think about these posts by Frolik's agent. Is this something initiated by Frolik or is it all on Walsh. I mean its not like Frolik is in the last year of his contract.

If Frolik didn't have a hand in it, Walsh wouldn't have posted a second tweet. Fro would've told him to knock it off after the first one.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If Frolik didn't have a hand in it, Walsh wouldn't have posted a second tweet. Fro would've told him to knock it off after the first one.

Exactly right.

Yes we could use the cap space by dealing him, but it’s risky dealing a guy like who can play on our 2nd line. Neal hasn’t meshed with Backs, Bennett has at times and Dube hasn’t shown an ability to produce in the NHL yet.

Unless of course we deal him for Ferland.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Losing Frolik would be a big blow to our depth for this season. I hope Brad holds strong and keeps him.

That said, I think I can understand Frolik’s frustration with constantly being bumped from that 2 RW spot for Czarnik.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Every time there's a coaching change, there are unfortunately roster casualties. And it appears like Frolik will be the first (Czarnik will probably be the second). Unfortunate because yeah, he's excellent depth but for cap reasons, he was always a strong choice to be traded in the summer anyway. This just pushes up the timeline.

However I don't see Treliving rushing to make a deal though unless it addresses needs and doesn't set the team back or Frolik becomes a problem in the lockerroom, which seems unlikely. Which is why of course, Walsh is tweeting about it; he's trying to force Treliving's hand.

The biggest issue is that it's really hard to trade salary during the season without getting salary back, especially guys without term going into next season. Those deals tend to take a while to setup. And Treliving will of course need that cap space to sign Tkachuk, Rittich and maybe Bennett. Otherwise something like Frolik+ for Perron would have been ideal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad