Rumor: Friedman links NYR to IIHF suspended F Zaripov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Seems to me that we're taking a pot shot in the dark. Why this guy, over another? A low risk, high reward? Apparently has talent......who in our organization is so "high" on him? Why is this guy special over someone else? He is "over the hill" at age 35. Why would we go this route? Why, why, why. I have no choice but to trust our GM as he has made some really good moves getting the Rangers in a much better team position, than we were 3 years ago. Much more stable imo.

This potential move, has me wondering though. Don't get it. Rather have JJ, as we KNOW what we would get from him and is STILL a huge fan favorite.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Seems to me that we're taking a pot shot in the dark. Why this guy, over another? A low risk, high reward? Apparently has talent......who in our organization is so "high" on him? Why is this guy special over someone else? He is "over the hill" at age 35. Why would we go this route? Why, why, why. I have no choice but to trust our GM as he has made some really good moves getting the Rangers in a much better team position, than we were 3 years ago. Much more stable imo.

This potential move, has me wondering though. Don't get it. Rather have JJ, as we KNOW what we would get from him and is STILL a huge fan favorite.

How much is Jagr looking for? We have 3 mil in cap space, and need to leave between 500k and 1 mil for callups and deadline deals, so the most we could offer would be 2 - 2.5 mil. Calgary supposedly has interest, and they have 7 mil in cap space. You also have to consider the possibility that Jagr would prefer to go somewhere else. I doubt he holds a grudge over how he left, but you never know. There are 2 sides to every negotiation.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Seems like an odd and random name to be linked. Very atypical for NHL clubs to be interested in KHL stars in their late 30's. Chris Lee certainly hasn't signed yet (Though it'd be neat for our Div 3 friends down route 11 to get their first NHL alumni)

I've thought about giving guys we know have possible NHl ability for sure like Nigel Dawes, Jarkko Immonen and Matt Gilroy a shot again after KHL success, but this guy seems really random.

Its not random, he's suspended from the KHL. There were some saying he'd try to join the NHL because of it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There is no need for Zaripov or Jagr. Jagr would be even worse. Why do we need Jagr? Is he going to play on the fourth line? Thats the only place we have room for him.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Couldn't have said it any better. Despite his lack of speed, I can still see JJ in our jersey. PP could become lethal with he, DeAngelo and Shatty being added and the addition by subtraction of Stepan.

I want to sign Jagr but he's not good on the PP and hasn't been for over 5 years.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I appreciate JJ and one of the best players to ever play the game no doubt but you guys think step was slow in the playoffs wait til you see JJ 5-10 strides behind on every play.
Again if he was signed for one year 1.5 million or less I wouldn't complain but like some have said he doesn't fit this team. I don't think he could play top 6 here and I don't think he's a 4th line kinda player

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I mean if the Rangers only likely option is putting Miller at center for one year until Andersson is ready and they sign the guy to a 1 year $1.5-2MM contract it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Once Fast is heathly you would have on the wings:

Nash
Buch
Zucc
Vesey
Kreider
Zaripov
Grabner
Fast

Centers would be:

Zbad
Hayes
Miller
DD

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
He'll be a fun, weird player to watch if we sign him, and the risk is low (can't imagine the doping Russian 36-year-old gets more than a year) so I kind of hope it happens.

Still think we need another body but - at the risk of sounding like an idiot if it's him, Vanek or Jagr and they score 50-60 points - it should be a penalty killing fourth liner type.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Its not random, he's suspended from the KHL. There were some saying he'd try to join the NHL because of it.

It's random that we're interested, not that he is available. Seems to me at his age he'd normally be looking at the Czech league/Finnish league.

I'd give him a tryout, that's it. No need to push the 50SPC limit, we're at 48 already.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
They need to sign someone. Need another body at forward and I'm wondering why someone hasn't been brought in.

Right. Which is the justification for this idea.

I just suspect it would be headed towards a mutual parting of ways before the regular season even started.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Surprised so many are on board for this considering this guys circumstances

Does the NHL not have a drug policy similar to the KHL?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I have never seen this guy play unless I saw him in international comps and do not remember his name. I do think we are weak upfront so I'm happy to at least investigate this guy, Jagr or whoever can help us upfront.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Last time we won the Cup, look at the names we put on it...

Alexei Kovalev
Sergei Zubov
Sergei Nemchinov
Alex Karpovtsev

...what's going on since then? Lots of close but no cigar. We NEED MOAR ROOSKIES!

2017-18 Stanley Cup Champion NY Rangers: Pavel Buchnevich, Alexei Bereglazov, Danis Zaripov, Chris Kreider speaks Russian so he's honorary.

GET. IT. DONE. GORTS.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Last time we won the Cup, look at the names we put on it...

Alexei Kovalev
Sergei Zubov
Sergei Nemchinov
Alex Karpovtsev

...what's going on since then? Lots of close but no cigar. We NEED MOAR ROOSKIES!

2017-18 Stanley Cup Champion NY Rangers: Pavel Buchnevich, Alexei Bereglazov, Danis Zaripov, Chris Kreider speaks Russian so he's honorary.

GET. IT. DONE. GORTS.

That just means Zborovskiy needs to make the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad