Freeman vs. the Preds

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Wilson was not part of the original group that bought the club. Freeman and Herb Fritch or some name like it were the only two that could handle the guarantees. Wilson came in a bunch of years after the sale of the team to local ownership.

I hope that I did not imply he was but just to clarify. Freeman and Wilson are the two parts of the ownership that were able to guarantee the funding needed for inital purchase and additional monies needed after the inital acquisition of the team.

The link I posted earlier details whats should happen today. If the judge will lift the stay and allow the disagreement to go to arbitration is how I read it. So the court still has control of the situation until there decision today. Question is will the judge allow it to be decided by the league or keep it in the courts. I think it will depend on Freemans case. If he proves he has been damaged as much as he claims I doubt the judget allows it to go to the league.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
That just says the ruling is today and is weeks old, not anything about the result. Was the wrong link posted?

that's old. What is being decided today is whether this matter will remain an internal matter the NHL or move to civil court.

If it moves to civil court, I'd expect a negotiated settlement because bettman wont want to let this get out of hand. if the judge remands it back to the NHL then the arbitration process resumes.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
that's old. What is being decided today is whether this matter will remain an internal matter the NHL or move to civil court.

If it moves to civil court, I'd expect a negotiated settlement because bettman wont want to let this get out of hand. if the judge remands it back to the NHL then the arbitration process resumes.

I saw you was replying to 33.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
That just says the ruling is today and is weeks old, not anything about the result. Was the wrong link posted?

No I posted the link due to the judge indicating that a decision would be made on the 13th to keep the case in the courts or allow it to go to arbitration. I have seen no other print that indicates the decision from that judge stepped back allowing the case to go to arbitration. If there is one I would like to see it. The longer this drags out the more negitive impact it will have.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
Arbitration of this remains with the NHL and the civil court case is dismissed by today's court decision: http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...ans-dispute-preds-stays-arbitration/87740340/

Chancellor Ellen Hobbs Lyle ruled in favor of the Preds and the NHL, dismissing Freeman's request to halt the arbitration process, according to online court records. The judge's order has not yet been released, and notes in the online record system say it may be partially under seal when it is made public.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad