Free falling Blues

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
I could see us going 1-5 over the next 6. Pretty tough schedule upcoming.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Yes, give us a top 7 pick. Give me Levshunov or Dickinson or Silayev or Parekh or Jiricek or Yakemchuk.... so many good good defensive prospects this draft

Reactions: sfvega

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Last year there were 10 teams that finished below a .500 points percentage. Right now there are only 6. Let's hope it stays like that all year, because it is easier to fall down the standings when there are fewer truly bad teams (obviously).

With that said, I think it is premature to say the team is in free fall. We're 5-3 with a (very slightly) positive goal and shot differential under Bannister. 3 of the 5 wins under Bannister came against top 10 teams, so I think it is pretty early to just assume that this team is going to lose every time it plays a good team. The losing streak is a whopping 2 games and it came during a two city B2B following a 3 game win streak. We outplayed Colorado in the first loss and we hung around with the Pens in the second loss.

I'm not going to lose any sleep if this team loses a lot in this tough stretch of schedule and have absolutely nothing against the team getting a high draft pick. But I think it is way early to say this team is in free fall.

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
If we’re 10 points out of a playoff spot by month’s end I switch to rooting for losses. Not that it matters, but just saying.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
If we’re 10 points out of a playoff spot by month’s end I switch to rooting for losses. Not that it matters, but just saying.

I am similar. After we did absolutely nothing to fix our defense this off season, I said if we were at 0 points before the first game, I'd root for losses. Surprise it happened.

Overall I wouldn't describe us as in a free fall. We've been more or less treading water or spinning the tires in my view to this point.

. Yep. We are a middling team playing like a middling team. Anyone with eyes could see we were a key injury away from being less than a middling team.

Reactions: mk80

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I just want it to be decisive either way. Either fully commit to the tank or fully commit and buy in to what ever the f*** Bannister is peddling.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Yes, give us a top 7 pick. Give me Levshunov or Dickinson or Silayev or Parekh or Jiricek or Yakemchuk.... so many good good defensive prospects this draft
This is what I want.

I know there's usually more accountability following a coaching change, so maybe it's just a dead cat bounce hopefully. Not that I enjoy rooting for us to be bad, but at the same time I really think Army needs to cut bait with this unlovable team of misfits he hoped to prolong the old window. Another bad year and another top 10 pick would help us turn the page more than anything.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
This is what I want.

I know there's usually more accountability following a coaching change, so maybe it's just a dead cat bounce hopefully. Not that I enjoy rooting for us to be bad, but at the same time I really think Army needs to cut bait with this unlovable team of misfits he hoped to prolong the old window. Another bad year and another top 10 pick would help us turn the page more than anything.

another top 10 pick this year and I don’t see much changing next year. Hopefully the following year is when we start turning the corner.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
another top 10 pick this year and I don’t see much changing next year. Hopefully the following year is when we start turning the corner.

Yeah, I just mean in terms of mindset. Once we accept the rebuild, it'll be easier. Start to look at more solutions and less band-aids. Then a number of these bigger contracts move to modified NTCs and we can really turn the roster over towards a contender. It sucks to not have a fun, contending team to watch right now, but as a site that is based on the idea of "hockey's future" these next 2 years could be fun to watch as how a new age Blues team is built.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
This thread is more evidence that HF is the ultimate jinx. If you all want the team to pick top-10, start talking about it as a serious playoff threat and things will go to shit within about 48 hours - and then keep talking about it as a serious playoff threat until beyond when it's out of the playoffs.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Starting to look like the bubble teams in the West are fighting for 1 spot. Edmonton isn't in playoff position by raw points and are 4 points back of the Preds for the WC1 spot. But they have 4 games in hand, are no longer getting ECHL caliber goaltending, McDavid looks like himself, and they look like the team people thought they were coming into the year. They are 7th in the West by points percentage and I don't see 2 of the bubble teams outpacing them the rest of the year.

The top 3 teams in each division all have a .628+ points percentage and feel like near-locks.

The rest of the bubble pack is made up of Nashville, Arizona, Seattle, Minnesota, Calgary, and our Blues. Seattle and Calgary both got hot after looking nearly dead a few weeks ago and Minnesota is the only team in the group who has played at a sub-.500 points percentage since we fired Bannister (we are .667).

I think anyone rooting for a decisive direction is going to get frustrated for the next couple months. These are all decidedly mediocre rosters with at least 1 glaring flaw. They are probably going to keep succeeding and failing in streaks while leap frogging over each other.

Now, raise you hand if you are surprised that the Blues are tied for the 5th-most regulation wins in the West.

✋

We are tied with Vegas and Edmonton. We lead Dallas and all 5 of those other bubble teams.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
Starting to look like the bubble teams in the West are fighting for 1 spot. Edmonton isn't in playoff position by raw points and are 4 points back of the Preds for the WC1 spot. But they have 4 games in hand, are no longer getting ECHL caliber goaltending, McDavid looks like himself, and they look like the team people thought they were coming into the year. They are 7th in the West by points percentage and I don't see 2 of the bubble teams outpacing them the rest of the year.

The top 3 teams in each division all have a .628+ points percentage and feel like near-locks.

The rest of the bubble pack is made up of Nashville, Arizona, Seattle, Minnesota, Calgary, and our Blues. Seattle and Calgary both got hot after looking nearly dead a few weeks ago and Minnesota is the only team in the group who has played at a sub-.500 points percentage since we fired Bannister (we are .667).

I think anyone rooting for a decisive direction is going to get frustrated for the next couple months. These are all decidedly mediocre rosters with at least 1 glaring flaw. They are probably going to keep succeeding and failing in streaks while leap frogging over each other.

Now, raise you hand if you are surprised that the Blues are tied for the 5th-most regulation wins in the West.

✋

We are tied with Vegas and Edmonton. We lead Dallas and all 5 of those other bubble teams.
(inserts Tim the Toolman Taylor confused groan)

Reactions: Brian39

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Minnesota is the only team in the group who has played at a sub-.500 points percentage since we fired Bannister (we are .667).
Wow, major thanks to what Bannister did for us in those 9 games. He was a soldier for sure, but now we get to see what Ted Hoffman can do behind the bench.

• Haha
Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I just want it to be decisive either way. Either fully commit to the tank or fully commit and buy in to what ever the f*** Bannister is peddling.

I totally agree with that, too. Either go on a run or tank and build. Problem is, the team isn't good enough for either and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Last edited:

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
If this is what you mean by free falling, then I agree:

145.jpg

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I am similar. After we did absolutely nothing to fix our defense this off season, I said if we were at 0 points before the first game, I'd root for losses. Surprise it happened.

. Yep. We are a middling team playing like a middling team. Anyone with eyes could see we were a key injury away from being less than a middling team.
What Army thinks we are?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad