GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Upgrading 4th line talent to 3rd line talent and missing the playoffs again to draft 12th is not a successful year. Free agency should be a small fraction of the activity this summer.
Agreed.

If the reports are true that SY didn't like the price on Debrincat, ok, but sooner or later he has to make a trade that might be uncomfortable in order to upgrade this team. We need to make some upgrades this summer because we are nowhere near bad enough to compete for the lottery this year.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Sounds like Stevie Y wants another rd defenseman and another goalie. I'm down but upgrade our scoring. Need some more size

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I’m fully prepared for Alex Killorn to be the primary signing for the Wings today

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Agreed.

If the reports are true that SY didn't like the price on Debrincat, ok, but sooner or later he has to make a trade that might be uncomfortable in order to upgrade this team. We need to make some upgrades this summer because we are nowhere near bad enough to compete for the lottery this year.
Main upgrades should be internal development imo. I agree with Steve's comments from the draft, this team isn't in a position to "go for it" yet.
Of course, Steve being Steve I wouldn't be shocked if he signs 5 players and makes 2 big trades later today...

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Main upgrades should be internal development imo. I agree with Steve's comments from the draft, this team isn't in a position to "go for it" yet.
Of course, Steve being Steve I wouldn't be shocked if he signs 5 players and makes 2 big trades later today...
And that's fine, but you can't continue to only upgrade through the draft. Teams are built through a combination of draft, trades and FA. At some point our deficiencies aren't going to be able to be addressed only via draft unless we get some serious lottery luck that has yet to happen.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Ideally you could try the Devils model, they added guys like Hamilton, Palat and they tried Gaudreau via free agency. Once they finally didn't suck, boom Timo, and now Toffoli.

That way probably takes a long time for us seeing as how we didn't win two draft lottos and then win a 2nd overall as well. So not sold on it.

I would be lying if I wasn't a bit perplexed at not making a move after all this smoke, seemed like this perfect scenario of having all these picks and names out there. I don't think anyone would take getting Debrincat or Konecny as "going for it".

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Killorn for 8 years

Use the cap almost full will be the plan. And short-term deals.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
And that's fine, but you can't continue to only upgrade through the draft. Teams are built through a combination of draft, trades and FA. At some point our deficiencies aren't going to be able to be addressed only via draft unless we get some serious lottery luck that has yet to happen.
I agree but I view trades more as finding complementary pieces at this point (Husso, Walman, Fabbri, Kostin, etc.). Same with FA.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Links to JT Compher are so disappointing. I mean, what does he bring to the party? Never scored 20 goals, isn't physical, and is a below 50% face off guy. That all sucks! No thank you, Wolverine or not.

Killirn and Tarsenko on 3 years or less, then I might be alright. There isn't anything real exciting in the FA market. Steve needs to focus on trades.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I believe that Tampa is still trying to fit Killorn. He seems more a complimentary player anyways. Tarasenko does more to address our scoring needs than FA out there. Sign him short term and he bring a nice haul at the trade deadline.

I will vomit if we sign Patrick Kane. Will not watch at all if that scummy douche is on the team.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Agreed but patience is still the key right now. We’re still not there yet. Were getting closer but this takes time. Hopefully he strikes when the iron gets hot

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I agree but I view trades more as finding complementary pieces at this point (Husso, Walman, Fabbri, Kostin, etc.). Same with FA.
I think that's being too confident in draft picks. Detroit has already exceeded statistical expectations with Seider and Raymond and Edvinsson and possibly Cossa. Continuing to pencil in guys like Kasper and Soderblom and Johansson, let alone guys they drafted since then, isn't practical. Sooner or later a few will be under the curve or wash out altogether. It has to be a combination, it's just a matter of what ratio.

Detroit made trades during every roster iteration that resulted in the 97, 98, 02, and 08 Cups. This rebuild won't require anything less.

Reactions: SoupNazi

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I think that's being too confident in draft picks. Detroit has already exceeded statistical expectations with Seider and Raymond and Edvinsson and possibly Cossa. Continuing to pencil in guys like Kasper and Soderblom and Johansson, let alone guys they drafted since then, isn't practical. Sooner or later a few will be under the curve or wash out altogether. It has to be a combination, it's just a matter of what ratio.

Detroit made trades during every roster iteration that resulted in the 97, 98, 02, and 08 Cups. This rebuild won't require anything less.

Those years they also had one of the best cores in the league built entirely through the draft, which opened up the ability to be aggressive on the trade front. We’re not there yet

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

It's actually my lack of confidence in picks that makes me wary of aggressive trades where we send picks/prospects away. Because maybe we have one star player between Mazur/Söderblom/Berggren/Lombardi, but before I can confidently say which one of them it is I'm not too keen on trading one or more of them away.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Was there something about qualifying Veleno today? What happened with that and what does it mean?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad