GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russian Collusion

Jul 1, 2016
Well, that would be the plan, yes. Gerbe is already under that number.

And what rookies? Buchnevich and Hrivik are our only two real possiblity, and if Buch can't beat out a player like Grabner, he needs some AHL time anyway.

I think Buch's deal gives him a way to go back to the KHL if he doesn't make the big club. Translation: He makes the big club

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Yeah but it leaves zero room for rookies, and unless you're getting all of these guys for under $950k, you're carrying cap from their contract while they skate in the minors.
Rather still see them fill the team up that way than wait on the leftover Stoll type signing.

And Gerbe at 600k would not be a cap hit if he ended up in the minors.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Well, that would be the plan, yes. Gerbe is already under that number.

And what rookies? Buchnevich and Hrivik are our only two real possiblity, and if Buch can't beat out a player like Grabner, he needs some AHL time anyway.

That's a good point. I kept thinking we had more guys ready for a chance and we really don't. Hrivik and Jensen aren't even signed yet. Good catch.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Yeah and I'll have to convince myself the deals weren't there to avoid getting unecessarily angry.

I am sort of convinced of that already.

I think when it came down to it, they were retaining, buying out, taking back cap dumps that overall would leave them in just as bad if not a worse place salary cap structure wise. Plus clauses.

Russian Collusion

Jul 1, 2016
I guess, but then we'd be either embarrassed in the 1st round or out of the playoffs.

Pick your poison.

I would take 2015 Nash over Okposo at basically the same cap number. If we get that guy back or anything resembling him, the team is already better. The same goes for Stepan. Again, let's not change for the sake of changing. We all talk about getting younger and being young.....our RFA's and Stepan ARE our youth. Why give up on Step just because we all want change. It's robbing Peter to pay Paul if you ask me.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Add Riley Nash and the 4 main PKers can be Riley Nash, Grabner, Fast and Gerbe.

Rests the star players for 5v5 and PP.

Stepan is a good pker but i felt his pk game dipped a little last season. Its prb a good idea not to force him into it if you cant and focus on 5 on 5 and PP.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I am sort of convinced of that already.

I think when it came down to it, they were retaining, buying out, taking back cap dumps that overall would leave them in just as bad if not a worse place salary cap structure wise. Plus clauses.

There's still time, but yeah soon we're all going to have to start preparing for this outcome.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Nobody (rightfully) wants to acknowledge this but we could go into next year with the same damn core with nothing changed. It's actually pretty likely.

Hi i'm SoS and I have been saying this for months. While we were reading the Rangers were the most active on the phones, that sounded great but it didn't mean anything. I don't think it helps that so many "trusted" people had the Rangers involved in trade rumors and transactions that didn't happen for whatever reason. (Maybe the rumors were made up or valid, nobody will ever know)

Now here we sit, with basically the same team TODAY. Does not mean that will be the case in an hour, day, week, month, but today it's looking like more of the usual. Which should scare everybody. Not because we aren't giving players away or making a trade just to make a trade. That's good. What should scare everybody is Gorton and AV said they wanted changes. We all heard it. The players heard it. But our management team misread the market. No way do they make those comments publicly if they didn't believe 100% they could've made a big trade. Why make they make themselves look like fools? But that's exactly what Gorton and AV did. Now AV and Gorton have to probably backtrack for the comments made when the season ended. Not good...

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Detroit is obviously looking for scoring after being in on Radulov. Anaheim wants a left-handed top-six winger. San Jose could use another top-six winger. So, still some possible suitors for Nash potentially.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Stepan is a good pker but i felt his pk game dipped a little last season. Its prb a good idea not to force him into it if you cant and focus on 5 on 5 and PP.

It makes sense and It addresses two major deficiencies last year. Speed and PK with out breaking the bank cap wise. Gerbe may not be in every game So those games Stepan can shift into the second PK unit.

Depth.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Hi i'm SoS and I have been saying this for months. While we were reading the Rangers were the most active on the phones, that sounded great but it didn't mean anything. I don't think it helps that so many "trusted" people had the Rangers involved in trade rumors and transactions that didn't happen for whatever reason. (Maybe the rumors were made up or valid, nobody will ever know)

Now here we sit, with basically the same team TODAY. Does not mean that will be the case in an hour, day, week, month, but today it's looking like more of the usual. Which should scare everybody. Not because we aren't giving players away or making a trade just to make a trade. That's good. What should scare everybody is Gorton and AV said they wanted changes. We all heard it. The players heard it. But our management team misread the market. No way do they make those comments publicly if they didn't believe 100% they could've made a big trade. Why make they make themselves look like fools? But that's exactly what Gorton and AV did. Now AV and Gorton have to probably backtrack for the comments made when the season ended. Not good...

Maybe Lunkers stormed in to their office and threw a hissy fit about trading his friends and how they need to believe in this core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad