GDT: FREE AGENT FRENZ....uh...um....PEACEFULNESS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Who knows if we'll do anything today whatsoever, but I always enjoy July 1st.

Anyone know if there will be any sort of tracker like TSN used to do for those of us in the States? Not sure if TSN still has the coverage that they used to every year.

TG summing it up quite well

@TGfireandice: If July 1 UFA frenzy is like Christmas, this is a Christmas when you're too old to get fun toys and know all the gifts are pajamas or socks.

Last edited:

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I highly doubt we sign anyone today. If we do anything it'll be via trade. Out of the guys supposedly on the trade block I would only go after Oshie, Skinner, Sutter, Berglund, and depending on the price but most likely no, Kessel

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
HAHAHA, Oh Tom.... Usually I look forward to 7/1. Today i forgot all about free agency.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
only two guys I would be interested in (because they could probably be had for good bargains) are stalberg/tlusty. that being said, doing nothing at all in free agency is a fine approach too in my eyes.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
We probably do something low key, doubt anything big. Still always an interesting day.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Good day to sit back and enjoy some asinine contracts being handed out. I don't think we'll land anybody today as the prices sound too high and the Devils aren't desperate, but will be interesting to hear if we made a pitch to any FA's.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
Some of the better available players are guys that recently got bought out. That says all about the lack of quality players in this FA class. I hope Shero stays away from the bigger first days signings. Those have regret coming soon written all over.

At least the NBA free agency should be a bit more interesting.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
So reading the post today and stumbled acrosss Larry Brooks comedic rangers column. Today he brought up the topic of JT Miller. Do you guys think Shero would offer sheet him to a contract worth around $1.8 Million?

I know offer sheets have a bite back factor but....

1A. The Devils organization is much smarter than the rangers and would never put themselves in the cap hell the Rags find themselves in.

1B. We would never trade with them anyway do the whole it ruins trade talks is meaningless in this situation.

2. The 1.8 million offer sheet equals a 3rd round draft pick, I would happily give that up for a former first round Right Winger (again biggest need on our team) a couple years into his development.

3. If the rags match, they would have to spend an extra million. I know this doesnt sound like a lot of money but it REALLY cripples them even further.

Ball is in your court Mr. Shero, our rival is ripe for the picking right now.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
So reading the post today and stumbled acrosss Larry Brooks comedic rangers column. Today he brought up the topic of JT Miller. Do you guys think Shero would offer sheet him to a contract worth around $1.8 Million?

I know offer sheets have a bite back factor but....

1A. The Devils organization is much smarter than the rangers and would never put themselves in the cap hell the Rags find themselves in.

1B. We would never trade with them anyway do the whole it ruins trade talks is meaningless in this situation.

2. The 1.8 million offer sheet equals a 3rd round draft pick, I would happily give that up for a former first round Right Winger (again biggest need on our team) a couple years into his development.

3. If the rags match, they would have to spend an extra million. I know this doesnt sound like a lot of money but it REALLY cripples them even further.

Ball is in your court Mr. Shero, our rival is ripe for the picking right now.
Teams don't usually do that because then when they are in a similar situation they don't want a team to return the favor

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
$1,205,377 or below None
Over $1,205,377 to $1,826,328 3rd round pick
Over $1,826,328 to $3,652,659 2nd round pick
Over $3,652,659 to $5,478,986 1st and 3rd round pick
Over $5,478,986 to $7,305,316 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick
Over $7,305,316 to $9,131,645 Two 1st’s, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick
Over $9,131,645 Four 1st round picks

We could only offer sheet someone for the amounts bolded. So it's not likely going to happen.

Last edited:

devlzfan

Aug 28, 2007
Farmingdale, NY
You wouldn't trade a second round pick for JT Miller? This is a pipe dream but Shero has a shot to make the Devils fans fall in love with him. Why not offer 3 years, $7 million ($2.333 per). Either Rangers fall deeper into cap hell or we get a good young 22 year old with a lot of potential. When you have cap space, use it (and screw the Rangers at the same time! LOL)

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
You wouldn't trade a second round pick for JT Miller? This is a pipe dream but Shero has a shot to make the Devils fans fall in love with him. Why not offer 3 years, $7 million ($2.333 per). Either Rangers fall deeper into cap hell or we get a good young 22 year old with a lot of potential. When you have cap space, use it (and screw the Rangers at the same time! LOL)

My thoughts as well, Even 2 million. The rangers literally can't offer anything more than their Qualifying offer which i think is like 800K and Miller has no rights. It's Either he plays for that or someone else gives him a raise :)

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ

I would use it on Miller, he's going to be good. But I don't know if Shero will have the balls to do it.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Teams don't usually do that because then when they are in a similar situation they don't want a team to return the favor

Sure, but you know eventually someone will "break the code" and all teams will start doing it.. I say, start the trend before you're left behind lol

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Sure, but you know eventually someone will "break the code" and all teams will start doing it.. I say, start the trend before you're left behind lol

Apparently a lot of teams were ready to break the code this year, hence the Saad/Hamilton trades, the code is dead.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
The fact you can't make offersheets because you don't have a specific draft pick is so dumb. I understand a 1st or maybe a 2nd, but the fact we don't have a 2016 3rd? Can't they be more flexible with the rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad