Proposal: Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I prefer Petry, but if we could acquire free assets in a Petry deal and replace him with someone somewhat close in impact, I would do it. Pretty good idea imo.

The comparison isn't Petry vs. Myers. You get Myers, then trade Petry for someone equal to Petry. So it's Myers vs. Whoever else we'd try to get at LD, and Petry vs. Whoever we trade him for, assuming we can get someone of equal value. But, you're point that we may not be able to get someone of equal value to Petry in a trade is the key.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The comparison isn't Petry vs. Myers. You get Myers, then trade Petry for someone equal to Petry. So it's Myers vs. Whoever else we'd try to get at LD, and Petry vs. Whoever we trade him for, assuming we can get someone of equal value. But, you're point that we may not be able to get someone of equal value to Petry in a trade is the key.

Even if Petry is not enough to land that LHD that is needed, then you can always add some other disposable or redundant asset to Petry, in order to get a deal done.

Myers, as a free asset, opens the option to allow you pay less on the trade front to land that LHD. It doesn't matter really if Petry on his own wouldn't be able to get it done.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Even if Petry is not enough to land that LHD that is needed, then you can always add some other disposable or redundant asset to Petry, in order to get a deal done.

Myers, as a free asset, opens the option to allow you pay less on the trade front to land that LHD. It doesn't matter really if Petry on his own wouldn't be able to get it done.
I wonder what Myers' contract would look like here, 5 years at 6M?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

My concern isn't so much whether or not Petry on his own could land a Petry level LD. My concern is more that Petry level dmen in general are not usually available. Is anyone in the league at his level available? Can you think of anyone? Does anyone want to swap a LD for a RD?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My concern isn't so much whether or not Petry on his own could land a Petry level LD. My concern is more that Petry level dmen in general are not usually available. Is anyone in the league at his level available? Can you think of anyone? Does anyone want to swap a LD for a RD?

It's funny you ask as LDs are supposed to be more readily available than RDs.

How were the Habs not able to do better than Mete at first pairing LHD? If anyone is really available and if MB is really willing to pay, there is no better time to find out than this off season.

AC made a couple of lists about what's available on the UFA market for a LHD and likely on the trading front this summer.

Not much on the UFA market playing LHD:

8Rtda7E.jpg

These are the targets AC believes could be available in a trade:

4yoL78b.jpg

I don't get how Alec Martinez should even be an option.

Last edited:
Reactions: bsl and jaffy27

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It's funny you ask as LDs are supposed to be more readily available than RDs.

How were the Habs not able to do better than Mete at first pairing LHD? If anyone is really available and if MB is really willing to pay, there is no better time to find out than this off season.

AC made a couple of lists about what's available on the UFA market for a LHD and likely on the trading front this summer.

Not much on the UFA market playing LHD:

8Rtda7E.jpg

These are the targets AC believes could be available for a trade:

4yoL78b.jpg

I don't that Alec Martinez should even be an option.

YOu know MB as much as anyone here. Alec Martinez will be his first option. He is the type of guy MB loves with a passion.

Reactions: habsfan891

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Peca for Forsling
Sign Edler for 3 years
Sign Ferland for 6 years

Drouin-Domi-Ferland
Tatar-Danault-Gally
Byron-Kotka-Armia
Lek-Poehling-Shaw
Weal

Edler-Weber
Kulak-Petry
Mete-Juulsen
Forsling-Folin

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Don’t know who would want to give Duchene a long-term contract after watching him. Just have to force him outside. He won’t fight for position inside.

Reactions: bsl and CDN24

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
well you have 50 contracts, to me if you think you have a player that fits your system then who cares where he is playing.

We'll see as the Habs are rumored to be interested in Konstantin Okulov who is coming off a big year as a teammate of Romanov's. If possible I would try and trade for Gusev or Kaprizov.

I would love it if the Habs were able to get this kid. He's got one more year to go on his KHL contract. He would be costly, but I think it would be worth it.

Reactions: montreal

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
YOu know MB as much as anyone here. Alec Martinez will be his first option. He is the type of guy MB loves with a passion.
Why would Martinez be option 1??

He’d be second last on that list only ahead of Brodin

Fowler
Lindholm
Matheson
Gostisbehere
Martinez
Brodin

This would be the logical and most probable list

Martinez first is HF fodder ridicule list

Reactions: jayhabsvgk

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wonder what Myers' contract would look like here, 5 years at 6M?

5 year term is too much risk for me. Age 29-33/34. What Myers do you get? Myers from the past two seasons or Myers with a bit of decline from year to year?

I'd rather give Myers 2 years at $7M vs 5 years at $6M.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Don’t know who would want to give Duchene a long-term contract after watching him. Just have to force him outside. He won’t fight for position inside.

Duchene would simply be adding a top 6 asset. Problem is our fan base would expect him to be our best player and lead the forward group. The more and more I think about it, it only makes sense if the deal is team friendly a bit. Lets say 6 or 7 years at $7.5M max. But projecting the cap moving forward is also important and we need to be careful with how much cap space we have in the 2021 off season.

Rather go after Skinner hard. Domi needs to help us convince Skinner come to Montreal just like Dallas recruited Radulov. After Panarin (who is not coming to Montreal), Skinner is the next best goal scorer and we need goal scoring.

Said this before and I think the two best moves we can make (if we can pull if off) is Skinner and Edler.

Skinner: 7 years at $7.5M (Lots of Bonus money in July)
Edler: 2 or 3 years at $6M (Might go as high as $6.5M on a 2 year term)

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Why would Martinez be option 1??

He’d be second last on that list only ahead of Brodin

Fowler
Lindholm
Matheson
Gostisbehere
Martinez
Brodin

This would be the logical and most probable list

Martinez first is HF fodder ridicule list

But the only one who I think could be move is Martinez in this list

Reactions: bsl

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
But the only one who I think could be move is Martinez in this list
Agree, but then it doesn’t become who he wants but what becomes available.

If I’m Bergevin, I’m really trying to pry away one of Lindholm or Fowler and on that order.

Untouchables (to a certain degree) are Poehling, Suzuki and Romanov.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Duchene would simply be adding a top 6 asset. Problem is our fan base would expect him to be our best player and lead the forward group. The more and more I think about it, it only makes sense if the deal is team friendly a bit. Lets say 6 or 7 years at $7.5M max. But projecting the cap moving forward is also important and we need to be careful with how much cap space we have in the 2021 off season.

Rather go after Skinner hard. Domi needs to help us convince Skinner come to Montreal just like Dallas recruited Radulov. After Panarin (who is not coming to Montreal), Skinner is the next best goal scorer and we need goal scoring.

Said this before and I think the two best moves we can make (if we can pull if off) is Skinner and Edler.

Skinner: 7 years at $7.5M (Lots of Bonus money in July)
Edler: 2 or 3 years at $6M (Might go as high as $6.5M on a 2 year term)

Skinner is my target too. Need a RW and need a goal scorer. He fits with the quick transition of the team.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Skinner isn’t what we need. Lee is exactly what we need. Kreider is exactly what we need. Big body who can skate up and power to the net and score goals. We have almost nothing but small skilled wingers. Enough. We need some meat in this lineup who can create havoc and score goals.

Reactions: bsl and hey

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Skinner is my target too. Need a RW and need a goal scorer. He fits with the quick transition of the team.

Agreed! Skinner fits our team more than anybody after Panarin. I'd be playing Skinner at LW though

Skinner / Domi / Shaw
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Drouin / Kotkaniemi / Armia
Byron / Weal / Lehkonen

Jul 6, 2016
Agreed! Skinner fits our team more than anybody after Panarin. I'd be playing Skinner at LW though

Skinner / Domi / Shaw
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Drouin / Kotkaniemi / Armia
Byron / Weal / Lehkonen

Drouin on a 3rd line is a huge waste of $$$$.... You have to trade him for a young top-four d-man. Same with Byron at over 3M$ on a 4th line.

IF Skinner is signed, Drouin must go. OR you play Shaw way lower.

Reactions: bsl

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Drouin on a 3rd line is a huge waste of $$$$.... You have to trade him for a young top-four d-man. Same with Byron at over 3M$ on a 4th line.

Who cares. Pretty sure Julien don't care how much Drouin makes. And your are not looking at the bigger picture which is our team strategy of rolling 4 lines and keeping the tempo and speed up all game. Drouin gets his ice time on the PP.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Skinner isn’t what we need. Lee is exactly what we need. Kreider is exactly what we need. Big body who can skate up and power to the net and score goals. We have almost nothing but small skilled wingers. Enough. We need some meat in this lineup who can create havoc and score goals.
How much would you give Lee, Ladd's contract + a bit higher?

Jul 6, 2016
Who cares. Pretty sure Julien don't care how much Drouin makes. And your are not looking at the bigger picture which is our team strategy of rolling 4 lines and keeping the tempo and speed up all game. Drouin gets his ice time on the PP.

Play Drouin on a 3rd line and you will get the same pouting kid we saw in the second half of the season.

Reactions: bsl and habsfan891

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Skinner and Kreider yes. Lee? I think he comes with risks. I rather go after guys that create offensive on their own vs a guy like Lee. Be careful with trying to address our size issue through UFA. It has potential to back fire. Lee could turn into Lucic. I like Lee but the cost to acquire and the production you get has me concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad