Free Agency Schedule

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Just wondering if the agents have a timetable in mind yet for when free agency will happen.

Teams have till tomorrow to submit Qualifying Offers. Once the deadline is passed than I can compile the list and hopefully Free Agency can be targeted around July 7th, 2010.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Teams have till tomorrow to submit Qualifying Offers. Once the deadline is passed than I can compile the list and hopefully Free Agency can be targeted around July 7th, 2010.

Did the offices get my acceptance of John Mitchell's demands? I just wanted to make sure. I know its been crazy.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North

Just to be clear, does that deadline extend to offers on pending UFAs as well? For those of us looking to negotiate last-minute deals, can we expect any back-and-forth today on those discussions, or is it a take-your-best-shot, single change scenario?

Sorry to pile expectations on the Swingsteins - it's not like you guys don't have real jobs or lives to be getting on with...

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Just to be clear, does that deadline extend to offers on pending UFAs as well? For those of us looking to negotiate last-minute deals, can we expect any back-and-forth today on those discussions, or is it a take-your-best-shot, single change scenario?

Sorry to pile expectations on the Swingsteins - it's not like you guys don't have real jobs or lives to be getting on with...

I won't be able to check the email until I get home and given it is a holiday tomorrow, I don't think I will have an opportunity to go back and forth. The best bet is to offer higher of NHL/HFNHL contract for pending UFA and include QO for all pending RFA.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I won't be able to check the email until I get home and given it is a holiday tomorrow, I don't think I will have an opportunity to go back and forth. The best bet is to offer higher of NHL/HFNHL contract for pending UFA and include QO for all pending RFA.

Understandable, Hasnain - thanks. Everyone should be able to enjoy their holiday - even you!

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
One more clarification -- if a player who is a pending UFA in both the NHL and HFNHL re-signs with his NHL club prior to noon tomorrow, will the HFNHL GM have a chance to "auto-sign" that player at the new salary (assuming the team has already made an offer to the player that has not yet been accepted?).

Default101

I re-sent my confirmation of Yandle's and Brookbank's contract requests, but other than those 2 all the 0's on my roster i don't plan on re-signing

Default101

I'm wondering if we're going to do something about offer sheets after what happened last year. Since no actual team would ever sign like 40 offer sheets, maybe we can make it so that...

Unlimited offers for offer sheets WITH compensation (if you have 10 2nd round picks, then you can sign 10 offer sheets worth a 2nd round pick, but you have to have the picks to make the offer)

And limit offers with NO compensation to 3 per team. No team can offer more than 3 if the contract is low enough to give zero compensation to the team losing the player. That way no one GM can send the whole offer sheet thing into insanity like what happened last year.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
I'm wondering if we're going to do something about offer sheets after what happened last year. Since no actual team would ever sign like 40 offer sheets, maybe we can make it so that...

Unlimited offers for offer sheets WITH compensation (if you have 10 2nd round picks, then you can sign 10 offer sheets worth a 2nd round pick, but you have to have the picks to make the offer)

And limit offers with NO compensation to 3 per team. No team can offer more than 3 if the contract is low enough to give zero compensation to the team losing the player. That way no one GM can send the whole offer sheet thing into insanity like what happened last year.

We limit total roster/prospect to 80 players so I don't see any issue with a team offering contracts 40 contracts as long as they have capacity.

Default101

We limit total roster/prospect to 80 players so I don't see any issue with a team offering contracts 40 contracts as long as they have capacity.

It was just an incredible pain last year when we had a ridiculous amount of RFA's being offered just below the compensation line.. i'd assume if we put it to a vote we'd be able to find some kind of suitable cap put on the amount of people we can sign under that line.. if just 3 teams decided to do what Carolina did (former GM, not new one), 14% of the league would be untradeable

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
It was just an incredible pain last year when we had a ridiculous amount of RFA's being offered just below the compensation line.. i'd assume if we put it to a vote we'd be able to find some kind of suitable cap put on the amount of people we can sign under that line.. if just 3 teams decided to do what Carolina did (former GM, not new one), 14% of the league would be untradeable

RE offers only where teams have compensation: This rule already exists. Dion did bid on and have players sign offer sheets where he didn't have compensation. Not only did he not get the player but he was heavily fined.

RE no comp offer sheets: we did discuss in the admin team but chose not to adjust this rule. It also looks to me like there are far fewer RFA's this year because of last year (and the auto sign).

With regards to free agency there will be some other changes in the way you make your offers and the number you can make. Look for the announcement very soon.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver

I didn't really see the big deal last year and still don't now. If GMs let their players get to that point then they are fair game. If you don't think someone is worth $993k (or whatever it was) then don't match. If they were worth signing in the first place you probably would have done so.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007

I likely missed some announcement on this somewhere but has July 7th been set as the official FA start date? If so who are offers being sent too?

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Speaking of free agency, is this the worst hfnhl free agency in HFNHL history? I cant find any big name available but Paul Martin. If you are on the hunt for a goalie, good luck :)

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Speaking of free agency, is this the worst hfnhl free agency in HFNHL history? I cant find any big name available but Paul Martin. If you are on the hunt for a goalie, good luck :)

Agreed. We had a few good years when we first introduced the rule about not being able to trade resigned UFA's until the All-Star break. Unfortunately we then allowed the interim loophole about being able to pay a penalty to get around that rule permanent and the past 2 free agency periods have been non-events again. Time to revisit that loophole me thinks.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Agreed. We had a few good years when we first introduced the rule about not being able to trade resigned UFA's until the All-Star break. Unfortunately we then allowed the interim loophole about being able to pay a penalty to get around that rule permanent and the past 2 free agency periods have been non-events again. Time to revisit that loophole me thinks.

I don't think it is the loophole, I think it is the auto signing. As long as any GM is willing to meet the NHL contract that player will not hit free agency. I know just from my team I traded Legwand to a team that signed him and traded for Clemmensen and White. Without the rule, all three players are probably UFAs.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I don't think it is the loophole, I think it is the auto signing. As long as any GM is willing to meet the NHL contract that player will not hit free agency. I know just from my team I traded Legwand to a team that signed him and traded for Clemmensen and White. Without the rule, all three players are probably UFAs.

This.

And trading UFA rights more than will ever be seen in the NHL because of the auto-sign rule.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Yeah, it's worth a look. For the auto-sign, perhaps the idea of not letting a team use this provision when the player has only be with the team a short period (i.e. traded rights in off-season, or even trade deadline acquisition). Team's who keep the player the whole year however, perhaps can still use it. Just a thought. That way rentals, really are rentals, for the most part.

Interesting to note, that pretty much the only quality free agents coming out are those whose HFNHL contracts were too high and the GM's rightfully didn't want to overpay versus their NHL deals (but even then, we had a ton of General managers saying that was a stupid rule and that players should autosign for less money to avoid free agency, even to take a pay cut! :shakehead)

Anyways, something to look at for next year and we'll try and make a call on it by August so everyone knows the rule going into the year and before anyone considers resigning potential UFA's for 2011.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
not a bad idea at all with auto sign not available for offseason trades or trade deadline trades. Maybe even go as far as that the player has to have been on the team for a full year before the auto-sign can be used?

The possibility to trade a re-signed UFA before the all star game could also be removed. They're not many, but there are usually a few that get signed and traded instead of going on the free market.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Yeah, it's worth a look. For the auto-sign, perhaps the idea of not letting a team use this provision when the player has only be with the team a short period (i.e. traded rights in off-season, or even trade deadline acquisition). Team's who keep the player the whole year however, perhaps can still use it. Just a thought. That way rentals, really are rentals, for the most part.

What about a deadline for auto-sign - perhaps the trade deadline. After that date you can't auto-sign a player?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I have been in a few leagues where a dice roll was implemented. Each number representing a different outcome. That takes the "human element" out of an arbitrator making the decision as well. There are scripts like randomize.org you can use to do this and it can be live streamed. Another event that would be interesting for us as GMs to attend to see who hits the market live to create our own July 1st frenzy.

The system they used was something like:

1 - Player will test free agency
2 - Player will accept term but for only 1 year
3 - Player accepts contract
4 - Player will test free agency
5 - Player wants 25% more money per year
6 - Player will test free agency

I will also add that each team had ONE exemption or "franchise tag", they could use per offseason either on an RFA or UFA player that made him available to sign via auto signing or conventional contract offer.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
I have been in a few leagues where a dice roll was implemented. Each number representing a different outcome. That takes the "human element" out of an arbitrator making the decision as well. There are scripts like randomize.org you can use to do this and it can be live streamed. Another event that would be interesting for us as GMs to attend to see who hits the market live to create our own July 1st frenzy.

The system they used was something like:

1 - Player will test free agency
2 - Player will accept term but for only 1 year
3 - Player accepts contract
4 - Player will test free agency
5 - Player wants 25% more money per year
6 - Player will test free agency

I will also add that each team had ONE exemption or "franchise tag", they could use per offseason either on an RFA or UFA player that made him available to sign via auto signing or conventional contract offer.

Actually I had set something like that up several years ago. It had 2 variables ... how soon you submitted your offer, how much your offer was versus a pre determined fair market price and each place in the grid had a chance value of that player resigning (the random element). The old table is still in the Yahoo files actually (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/hfnhl/files/xxx Miscellaneous Files and Info/).

If I recall correctly we also allowed discounts if the player had been with the team for a long time such that the fair market value would be lowered when being applied against the aforementioned table.

You could only submit 1 offer per month and if you failed 3 times to sign the player they hit free agency.

Back then it only ran for 1 year or so and broke down over arguments of what the fair market rate should be.

Since then there's been lots of changes in how we measure fair market price and so could theoretically revist such a model.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad