Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
A little salty over Marino now.

OTT gives: Thomson + 2nd

Chabot - Marino
Sanderon - Zub
Holden - Brannstrom/Hamonic

I'm a little miffed we missed out on Marino and Weegar, however:

Zub was and is NOT going to play with Sanderson regardless of who else we add to the team.

Based on comments about how little english Zub knows (and admittedly making an assumption here) and how little Russian Sanderson knows, they are not going to use that pair this year, at least not for any real time.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic/Marino/Weegar/Chychrun

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

Worth keeping in the back of the mind for when we are approaching the trade deadline. Kane will be a UFA at the end of this season. He also has a full no movement clause so he has complete control over whether or not he will accept a trade.

We likely look to improve the defense more than anything but if we are in a good spot at the deadline, Kane could decide he wants to reunite with DeBrincat.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I'm a little miffed we missed out on Marino and Weegar, however:

Zub was and is NOT going to play with Sanderson regardless of who else we add to the team.

Based on comments about how little english Zub knows (and admittedly making an assumption here) and how little Russian Sanderson knows, they are not going to use that pair this year, at least not for any real time.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic/Marino/Weegar/Chychrun
Wait for the Islanders free fall this season and trade for Scott Mayfield.

Reactions: Loach and bicboi64

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa

Worth keeping in the back of the mind for when we are approaching the trade deadline. Kane will be a UFA at the end of this season. He also has a full no movement clause so he has complete control over whether or not he will accept a trade.

We likely look to improve the defense more than anything but if we are in a good spot at the deadline, Kane could decide he wants to reunite with DeBrincat.

No interest in Kane personally. He would cost an arm and a leg to bring in and we would never be able to sign him past this season. We aren’t a Patrick Kane from a cup so I’d rather skip him all together.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
No interest in Kane personally. He would cost an arm and a leg to bring in and we would never be able to sign him past this season. We aren’t a Patrick Kane from a cup so I’d rather skip him all together.
Not to mention the cap would need to be over $87 million as well unless of course we add Kane and also subtract some large contracts from our roster. We are already at $76.8 m this year at this current time.

With regards to 2023-24, refer to post #2522.

Last edited:
Reactions: xVolchenkov

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Haven't done this in awhile, so here is 2023-24 roster with salaries = $81.7 m.

If we added Chychrun salary ($4.6 m AAV) to this (see below) roster, our total cap would be $86.175 m (moved JBD to 7D).

Notes:
Pinto and Formenton/replacement @ $2.0 m which seems pretty conservative. Overall, the salary assumptions are pretty conservative, and might be a little light.

JBD & Thomson on blueline and Søgaard in net.

22 player roster.

Tkachuk 8.205
Norris 7.950
Batherson 4.975
Total Line 1: $21.13 m

Debrincat 9.0 (qualifying offer)
Stutzle 8.35
Giroux 6.5
Total Line 2: $23.85 m

Joesph 2.95
Pinto 2.0 (resigned)
Formenton or XXX 2.0
Total Line 3: $6.95 m

Kelly .763
Gambrell/replacement .950
Motte 1.35
Total Line 4 $3.063 m

Chabot 8.0
Zub 4.5 (new contract)
1st pair total $12.5 m

Sanderson .925
JBD .925
2nd pair total $1.850

Thomson .863
Brannstrom 1.2 (resigned to short term contract)
3rd pair total: $2.063 m

Forsberg 2.75
Sogaard .925
Goalie total: $3.674 m

Murray retained 1.562
Buyout:
B Ryan 1.833
C. White .875
MDZ .750
Total retained/buyouts $5.02 m

Forward #13 .800
Defender #7 .800

TOTAL $81.7 M

NOTES:

22 player roster
Signing bonuses NOT included
I m not sure I want to go with Forsberg and Sogaard next year. I hope we extend Talbot two more years

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Ryan Ellis done for the year, possibly career. Flyers should grab Zaitsev so he can help them get Bedard.

They don't really have much room on the blueline for him, but they don't have 2nd round picks in either of the next two years and have the cap space to fit him in for this year, so maybe they could be a team willing to take on his contract for two 2nds.

Reactions: DrEasy

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Haven't done this in awhile, so here is 2023-24 roster with salaries = $81.7 m.

If we added Chychrun salary ($4.6 m AAV) to this (see below) roster, our total cap would be $86.175 m (moved JBD to 7D).

Notes:
Pinto and Formenton/replacement @ $2.0 m which seems pretty conservative. Overall, the salary assumptions are pretty conservative, and might be a little light.

JBD & Thomson on blueline and Søgaard in net.

22 player roster.

Tkachuk 8.205
Norris 7.950
Batherson 4.975
Total Line 1: $21.13 m

Debrincat 9.0 (qualifying offer)
Stutzle 8.35
Giroux 6.5
Total Line 2: $23.85 m

Joesph 2.95
Pinto 2.0 (resigned)
Formenton or XXX 2.0
Total Line 3: $6.95 m

Kelly .763
Gambrell/replacement .950
Motte 1.35
Total Line 4 $3.063 m

Chabot 8.0
Zub 4.5 (new contract)
1st pair total $12.5 m

Sanderson .925
JBD .925
2nd pair total $1.850

Thomson .863
Brannstrom 1.2 (resigned to short term contract)
3rd pair total: $2.063 m

Forsberg 2.75
Sogaard .925
Goalie total: $3.674 m

Murray retained 1.562
Buyout:
B Ryan 1.833
C. White .875
MDZ .750
Total retained/buyouts $5.02 m

Forward #13 .800
Defender #7 .800

TOTAL $81.7 M

NOTES:

22 player roster
Signing bonuses NOT included

I m not sure I want to go with Forsberg and Sogaard next year. I hope we extend Talbot two more years
Well, yes this would be a concern. I agree.

Perhaps you understand why I go through this exercise now? If you add expensive players to the roster, the team will need to find ways of reducing salary/AAV in other areas.

So if you want to extend Talbot even at the same salary AND keep players like Debrincat and Zub, our total AAVs would be $84.44 m in the 2023-24 season. So, that would put us over the cap ceiling next year unless they decide to increase the cap more (than what was specified in the CBA/Bettman) which is something Daly suggested might happen.

All I'm doing is showing the math with my post.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Well, yes this would be a concern. I agree.

Perhaps you understand why I go through this exercise now? If you add expensive players to the roster, the team will need to find ways of reducing salary/AAV in other areas.

So if you want to extend Talbot even at the same salary AND keep players like Debrincat and Zub, our total AAVs would be $84.44 m in the 2023-24 season. So, if that would put us over the cap ceiling next year unless they decide to increase the cap it more (than what was specified in the CBA/Bettman) which is something Daly suggested might happen.

All I'm doing is showing the math with my post.
Daly said on a podcast I listened to yesterday, if things go well this year, there’s a good chance 23/24 the 1 million increases would be over. But not likely a big bump first year, as escrow would be barely paid off as it was anticipated to be the year after.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Daly said on a podcast I listened to yesterday, if things go well this year, there’s a good chance 23/24 the 1 million increases would be over. But not likely a big bump first year, as escrow would be barely paid off as it was anticipated to be the year after.
OK, and thanks for the update. I was out for a few days (father in hospital) so missed it.

Having said that, I am not at all surprised by this as common sense would dictate that after losing money for a couple of years due to COVID, the owners will want to become more solid financially before spending again.

To highlight again, I was talking about, and have been talking about 2023-24 in my posts which is next year. People keep talking about the cap going up in future years. That's OK and I won't be surprised if it happens, but we still need to meet cap next season. First things first.

Plus, everyone seems to be assuming we spend to the cap ceiling. But, that's just an "assumption".

As a footnote, we are currently $5.7 m under the cap ceiling with a 22 player roster.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Chychrun to LA makes more sense than him coming here.

Should try to make a 3-way trade where Chychrun goes there, Roy comes to Ottawa, Zaitsev and a bunch of futures to Arizona.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Still in it

Chychrun to LA makes more sense than him coming here.

Should try to make a 3-way trade where Chychrun goes there, Roy comes to Ottawa, Zaitsev and a bunch of futures to Arizona.
I would hope that Arizona would prefer to get him out of the conference but that may not be as important to them. I hope in the end we get him for a reasonable price but not too encouraged with all the injuries

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I would hope that Arizona would prefer to get him out of the conference but that may not be as important to them. I hope in the end we get him for a reasonable price but not too encouraged with all the injuries

Chychrun is better but Roy would cost less and plays RD.

LA has a ridiculous amount of talented RD in their organization, even after dealing Faber:

NHL: Doughty, Roy, Durzi, Walker
Pipeline: Clarke, Spence, Grans

Their left-side is a lot weaker with Bjornfot and Anderson being the only quality young LD of note.

Makes sense for them to trade a RHD for a LHD. Don't even think they'll re-sign Roy in a couple years when he's a UFA.

Meanwhile we have a loaded left-side and need a quality RHD. Swap would make sense for a number of reasons.

Reactions: DrEasy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

LA has a ridiculous amount of talented RD in their organization, even after dealing Faber:

Their left-side is a lot weaker with Bjornfot and Anderson being the only quality young LD of note.

Makes sense for them to trade a RHD for a LHD. Don't even think they'll re-sign Roy in a couple years when he's a UFA.

Meanwhile we have a loaded left-side and need a quality RHD. Swap would make sense for a number of reasons.
Chychurn also plays his strong side on the Left.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

I've been beating this drum for a while.

Schmautz11

Oct 5, 2007
They don't really have much room on the blueline for him, but they don't have 2nd round picks in either of the next two years and have the cap space to fit him in for this year, so maybe they could be a team willing to take on his contract for two 2nds.
While Philly is a team in need for a D-Man today, i would never ever offer two 2nds to take Zaitsev. I like the concept of waiting for a team in need looking for a RD so why not sit tight and see what happens. Vancouver got a 3rd for a guy who was on waivers earlier in the year. I think a lot of people in here think Z is not even ECHL fodder but there is an NHL coaching staff that gave him 19 minutes a game last year. Be patient.. wait for a desperate team to blink. Maybe they will, maybe they wont but two 2nds is a ton to pay for a salary dump who is still an NHLer, borderline as he may be.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
While Philly is a team in need for a D-Man today, i would never ever offer two 2nds to take Zaitsev. I like the concept of waiting for a team in need looking for a RD so why not sit tight and see what happens. Vancouver got a 3rd for a guy who was on waivers earlier in the year. I think a lot of people in here think Z is not even ECHL fodder but there is an NHL coaching staff that gave him 19 minutes a game last year. Be patient.. wait for a desperate team to blink. Maybe they will, maybe they wont but two 2nds is a ton to pay for a salary dump who is still an NHLer, borderline as he may be.
Are you sure?

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I thought Sanderson could play right side as well…anyone know if he ever got reps in college/wjc?
Did the topic switch? I was talking about Chychrun and responded to another poster who was talking about Chychrun.

Or maybe you just want to talk about Sanderson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad