GDT: Free agency madness, brought to you by the letter G - PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
While Philly is a team in need for a D-Man today, i would never ever offer two 2nds to take Zaitsev. I like the concept of waiting for a team in need looking for a RD so why not sit tight and see what happens. Vancouver got a 3rd for a guy who was on waivers earlier in the year. I think a lot of people in here think Z is not even ECHL fodder but there is an NHL coaching staff that gave him 19 minutes a game last year. Be patient.. wait for a desperate team to blink. Maybe they will, maybe they wont but two 2nds is a ton to pay for a salary dump who is still an NHLer, borderline as he may be.

I wouldn't pay two 2nds to dump Zaitsev either, but if Dorion wants to do it that's likely the price, having been set by the Nemeth trade.

Zaitsev will be fine if he's played strictly in a 6/7 D role. At 2.5M salary for the rest of this year he's still overpaid for doing that job but it's not worth trading an extra 2nd to dump him early. Should wait until next off-season and at that time it would probably only cost a 2nd or so to dump the last year, and that's if he has another bad season. If he doesn't suck in the role it probably costs less due to the lack of decent RD available.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
We are apparently linked to Ethan Bear.

I suggested him a couple months ago and got berated for it, but I don't think he'd be a bad option

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Bear feels like another stopgap to me but the defense would be a bit better.

Doubt we can dump Zaitsev at the same time though.

Reactions: armani

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
We are apparently linked to Ethan Bear.

I suggested him a couple months ago and got berated for it, but I don't think he'd be a bad option

I would do it to be honest. And I would still keep the door wide open on a Chychurn trade at the same time - something that sends over Branny + Zaitsev + the big assets (whatever it ends up being).

Dare I say this team would actually be a stacked D-corps?

Chabot-Zub
Chychurn-Bear
Sanderson-Hamonic
Holden

JBD-Thompson anchor the 1st pairing in Belleville and battle it out to be the 1st callup.

If the deal is possible with AZ I would say go for it myself, no brainer because the team improves by leaps and bounds. We would have options to shuffle the deck on the blueline again in the offseason if need be.

Last edited:

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
To add Chychrun and Bear, while signing Debrincat ($9.0 m), that would be about a $88.5 m (22 player) roster in 2023-24.

The current cap (2022-23) would be $83.6 m -> not cap compliant.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
To add Chychrun and Bear, while signing Debrincat ($9.0 m), that would be about a $88.5 m (22 player) roster in 2023-24.

The current cap (2022-23) would be $83.6 m -> not cap compliant.

I said Zaitsev comes off the books in the AZ trade. Hamonic also expires after next season. So does Holden. Cap is going up soon. Massively according to some.

The numbers can absolutely work if we play it right.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I said Zaitsev comes off the books in the AZ trade. Hamonic also expires after next season. So does Holden. Cap is going up soon. Massively according to some.

The numbers can absolutely work if we play it right.
Zaitsev, Hamonic and Holden were already subtracted from the roster for the 2023-24 numbers that I stated. The complete breakdown of the salary (AAV) for each player was provided in post # x.

Cap is not expected up to go up a lot next year according to even the most recent statements from Daly. This was also a subject of a recent post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad