Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
If me somehow mentioning it on a dying message board in 2024 in response to other stories it is relevant to getting brought up somehow results in him getting traded when he otherwise wouldn't, then I must be a lot more influential than I ever perceived.
I guess I should have put an /s on my post? Maybe the lol wasn't enough. Ah well.

For what it's worth, I don't think this place is dying, and you definitely mentioned considering moving Chucky because of his NMC/lack of playoffs way before I saw it from any sports reporter... like, at the end of last year.

I don't think you're ultimately responsible for the current hubbub, but it's not lost on me that you've mentioned it every chance you get either for the last 6 months.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What everyone seems to forget about Silovs is that he played absolutely out of his mind for Latvia at the 2023 Worlds, helping Latvia earn their first ever bronze medal in IIHF history. (And set off a days long drunken party in the streets of his home country.) It's not like he came completely without credentials. Sneaky good pick for the Canucks...

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Wonder if Nashville could be a potential destination for Chychrun now that McDonagh is gone.

Unlike Tampa they certainly have the assets to acquire him. 8 picks in the top 2 rounds over the next couple years.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Offer what is needed for cernak now as this might be the most available he will be for a trade

Hate to rain on the parade, but he has a full NTC clause and we're almost certainly on it. Same goes for Sergachev.

As stupid as it would be to fit in a 35 year old McDonagh, maybe Tampa trades Cernak/Sergachev, but it certainly won't be to Ottawa.

Nevermind

Lebrun was talking about Duchene's buyout being a factor

Even factoring in the dead money they have 26M in cap space with Carrier being the only significant UFA they need to re-sign.

They would have to be in significant financial difficulties for that to be a factor.

More likely they just took advantage of a great deal. Even if it opens up a need at LD you take a 2nd and 6.75M in cap space by trading McDonagh and laugh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Hate to rain on the parade, but he has a full NTC clause and we're almost certainly on it. Same goes for Sergachev.

As stupid as it would be to fit in a 35 year old McDonagh, maybe Tampa trades Cernak/Sergachev, but it certainly won't be to Ottawa.
Not yet he doesn't. The absolute earliest he would be eligible for a NTC is May 28th, 2024 (his 27th birthday) and there's a reasonable chance his NTC doesn't kick in until some time between June 15th, 2024 & July 1st, 2024.

If Tampa is certain they will trade him, they have at least a week to do so with no restrictions.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Not yet he doesn't. The absolute earliest he would be eligible for a NTC is May 28th, 2024 (his 27th birthday) and there's a reasonable chance his NTC doesn't kick in until some time between June 15th, 2024 & July 1st, 2024.

If Tampa is certain they will trade him, they have at least a week to do so with no restrictions.

Interesting. CapFriendly is showing his NTC being active but given this they probably should have put it as starting in 2024/25.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Interesting. CapFriendly is showing his NTC being active but given this they probably should have put it as starting in 2024/25.
I think Capfriendly clicks over to a new season as soon as the regular season ends. One of the few minor kinks/approximations in their system

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Trade Chychrun to Nashville for Tampa's first next year, Fabbro, and Sissons. We get some depth for our middle 6, a legit top 4 RD in Fabbro, and draft capital that we can use to keep restocking the cupboards.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Trade Chychrun to Nashville for Tampa's first next year, Fabbro, and Sissons. We get some depth for our middle 6, a legit top 4 RD in Fabbro, and draft capital that we can use to keep restocking the cupboards.

I'd be happy to get the 1st alone.

If we were dealing him to Nashville I'd expect a couple 2nds in return.

Not a ton of demand out there for a left-handed offensive D right now.

Reactions: DrEasy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I’m wondering if Nashville was clearing some cap room to take a stab at Marner with some small retaining on leafs.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
You have to consider the following for any Ullmark trade:
  1. There are very few goalies available on the market.
  2. The team NEEDS to make the playoffs.
  3. If the team is in a position to trade an unsigned Ullmark at the deadline, that means they failed to make the playoffs, and they will have much bigger problems than losing assets on a 1 year rental goalie.
Add in that Chychrun was the one speculated to go for Ullmark, and he is a pending UFA as well. It makes sense to swap one pending UFA for another who is in a position of greater need.

Who else is out there? Markstrom? Gustavsson? There aren't a lot of reasonable options. This season is very important. Giroux is a UFA. I doubt Brady is going to want to stay if we're a shit show again. Even know this team is not a strong team, they are in an awkward spot where they have to balance the need to win now (which basically means make the playoffs and don't get embarrassed), with fixing the poor foundation that Dorion left in terms of ridding the team of picks/prospects.

Odds are, if we win, Ullmark signs here in January. That's usually how it works out. If he doesn't re-sign but we make the playoffs and go on a run because of his goaltending, when the lesser options were questionable at best, that is well worth burning what would be a mid or late first in return for Chychrun (or giving them the Boston pick). If we stink, we'll recoup a lesser asset for him at the deadline and move on to much bigger problems anyways (Brady leveraging his NMC to ask out, Giroux possibly not re-signing, solar flares causing EMP like events, etc).

Heard Ulmark is going to Detroit - makes sense

Senovision

May 23, 2011
What would happen if some team or teams made us an offer on Sanderson that was too good to refuse?

I wonder what teams would be interested and what players would we get back in that trade?

Out of Chabot, Chychrun and Sanderson, Sanderson would be the most sought after by other teams.

Last edited:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
What would happen if some team or teams made us an offer on Sanderson that was too good to refuse?
I wonder what teams would be interested and what players would we get back in that trade?

I’m not interested in trading Sanderson, but if it were to happen it would have to be for another young top defenseman but who fits the roster better. Minnesota offering up Faber + would get my interest for example.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
What would qualify as "can't refuse" for Sanderson?

I'd turn down almost anything. Three 1sts? No thanks, we need to stop sucking yesterday. Marner? No thanks, we can't suck more defensively. Hedman? I'll keep the younger asset since we are basically back to rebuilding (just not from scratch).

It is a fair question, I don't mean to belittle it. It is just, I don't think anyone could make a realistic "can't refuse" offer for Sanderson. Even the 1st overall I would have to think about; that one I'd probably do but I wouldn't immediately say yes.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Out of Chabot, Chychrun and Sanderson, Sanderson would be the most sought after by other teams.
Honestly I can't even imagine what a trade like that looks like.

Like if Dallas wanted him, they have to start the conversation with Harley (who is older than Sandy), Stankoven, and another worthwhile piece, but that trade messes with Dallas' wave of youth.

Minnesota has to start the conversation with Faber and a 1st, which not sure they'd wanna do (they don't have the capspace either lol)

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
where are you getting these made up rumours from?

this one made sense because Ulmark on Ottawa would be solid so of course snooping Detroit comes and in scoops him up.

But I do find it weird Detroit attracts so many Free Agents

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad