Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He was a name brand, he was never really that good in Arizona. He had 1 season where he scored a lot of goals, that's about it.

He's a 40ish point guy that's not physical and weak defensively, and many teams won't even have room on their PP1 for him.
So, he had that breakout year at 22 which is pretty normal for D. He also put up 7 g 28 pts in 36 games before getting traded here, and was a plus player that year. Even in his down year between those he was still a ~40 pts pace guy.

He's been used a lot on his offside, both here and at times in Arz, and frankly, he shouldn't have been, but in the right circumstance, hes a solid top 4 offensive Dman verging on top pair which should hold good value, though his health was certainly a concern,

Reactions: bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
So, he had that breakout year at 22 which is pretty normal for D. He also put up 7 g 28 pts in 36 games before getting traded here, and was a plus player that year. Even in his down year between those he was still a ~40 pts pace guy.

He's been used a lot on his offside, both here and at times in Arz, and frankly, he shouldn't have been, but in the right circumstance, hes a solid top 4 offensive Dman verging on top pair which should hold good value, though his health was certainly a concern,
Honestly, I'd put Chychrun and Chabot in a similar class. They both need a good steady partner to excel. Chychrun is stronger and can pot a few more goals, but won't show any physicality or use his hockey IQ. Chabot can handle the puck better and has more defensive awareness, but just doesn't score as many goals as Chychrun. I'd look at them each as solid top 4 offensive defenders, that can be a #2 on most teams.

Reactions: BigRig4

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

I wouldn't want him on my 2nd pairing if I was looking to compete

Reactions: DrEasy and BigRig4

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Understatement of the century. Andersen has significant value Forsberg has negative. Andersen had a bad period, he has been stellar in the playoffs otherwise look at his numbers this year. He has a career .915 save percentage. Was .932 this season.

Maybe a deal around Andersen and Kotkaniemi for Forsberg where they take back that atrocious contract.
Anderssen has a 15 team NTC.

If they are regretting Kotkaniemi contract maybe we could unload Korpisalo straight up for him.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
Anderssen has a 15 team NTC.

If they are regretting Kotkaniemi contract maybe we could unload Korpisalo straight up for him.
I would love nothing more than getting Anderssen, making the playoffs, and beating the Leafs with him in net.

Maybe that's the pitch to him to convince him to come to Ottawa?

• Love
Reactions: bicboi64

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I wouldn't want him on my 2nd pairing if I was looking to compete
The way he played for us this year, I'd agree, I'm not convinced that's his norm. He seemed to check out after the team showed that it wasn't going to meet expectations.

Idk, I watched arizona a bit earlier on his his career and thought he looked much more engaged defensively in the past. Maybe he's changed his game as a result of all the injuries, but based on his past level of play, I think he has more value than Sens fans think. But hey, I'm far from an expert, and a dozen games a year while in Arz is what I'm basing my opinions on, so it's quite possible I'm off my rocker.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
So based on Bruce’s latest article

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Toffoli-Norris-Batherson
Greig-Pinto-xxxx
Kelly-Kastelic-xxxx

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Tanev
Klevin-xxxx

xxxx
Korpi

-He basically confirms that Joseph is on the trade block,
-they are trying to get rid of Brannstrom and might not qualify him
-Not gonna resign Katchouk.
-They tried to trade Korpi at deadline but no takers.
-Forsberg is easier to move
-Hamonic might be bought out
-They will resign Kelly and Pinto
-Mentions Toffoli and Tanev as FA targets
-Chychrun will be moved
-Chabot staying put
-They targeted Ullmark and will try again in summer.
-Klevin basically confirmed a spot unless he has a horrible training camp.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Toffoli-Norris-Batherson
Greig-Pinto-xxxx
Kelly-Kastelic-xxxx

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Tanev
Klevin-xxxx

xxxx
Korpi

-Chychrun will be moved
-Chabot staying put
What I don’t get is why Joseph is on the trade block. He just had a career year at decent money. Unless he’s one of the bad eggs in the dressing room ?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
What I don’t get is why Joseph is on the trade block. He just had a career year at decent money. Unless he’s one of the bad eggs in the dressing room ?
He really wasn’t very good since New Years. I’d move him for a bottom pairing D with size to be our 6/7/8.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I don't think Ottawa and Colorado are good trade partners if it involves Rantanen.

Unless a huge trade happens like Boston's 1st, Norris, Kleven, Forsberg, Brannstrom, and Hamonic for Rantanen and Georgiev (I fully acknowledge that this trade is absurd and wouldn't even work in an NHL hockey game lmao)

Completely fair, I personally think there could be a trade that doesn’t involve any of the Sens main pieces (Brady, Stu or Sanderson). However if that package is the best offer I would think the Avs would decline. I do appreciate you taking a stab at it.

From my perspective I would hope for the Avs to get Pinto and Batherson. However if Norris was who the Sens would prefer, to deal I wouldn’t say it would be an absolute no. However Norris likely would require a reasonably large add just given his injury history and large contract.

Again, it seems like in general Sens fans have no interest in Mikko for what his cost is so I get not wanting to consider making a big move for him.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Trading Joseph only makes any sense if he is able to return a blue chip piece or if he's a guy that basically every team we spoke to had interest in

Completely fair, I personally think there could be a trade that doesn’t involve any of the Sens main pieces (Brady, Stu or Sanderson). However if that package is the best offer I would think the Avs would decline. I do appreciate you taking a stab at it.

From my perspective I would hope for the Avs to get Pinto and Batherson. However if Norris was who the Sens would prefer, to deal I wouldn’t say it would be an absolute no. However Norris likely would require a reasonably large add just given his injury history and large contract.

Again, it seems like in general Sens fans have no interest in Mikko for what his cost is so I get not wanting to consider making a big move for him.
If we could speak to Rantanen and extend him at a reasonable amount, his value to us would be substantial.

But that seems super unlikely, so his value to us is rental value... and there are at least 10-20 teams who would place greater value on him even just as a rental.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Trading Joseph only makes any sense if he is able to return a blue chip piece or if he's a guy that basically every team we spoke to had interest in

If we could speak to Rantanen and extend him at a reasonable amount, his value to us would be substantial.

But that seems super unlikely, so his value to us is rental value... and there are at least 10-20 teams who would place greater value on him even just as a rental.

I would say the only way the trade happens is with a deal in place as Colorado may as well keep him till the deadline as their own rental if they were going to trade him at rental price.

So if you’re fine with dealing with that hypothetical, I would love to hear what your offer would be.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
w
He really wasn’t very good since New Years. I’d move him for a bottom pairing D with size to be our 6/7/8.
I think he may have just been too good for the first half. Second half he was always a threat and being alright defensively. Usually what you get for 2.75.

You’d move him for an 8th d man? Really

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I would say the only way the trade happens is with a deal in place as Colorado may as well keep him till the deadline as their own rental if they were going to trade him at rental price.

So if you’re fine with dealing with that hypothetical, I would love to hear what your offer would be.
I dont think its realistic to the point where its not really worth it to pretend

Reactions: Perratrooper

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Chychrun Joseph Brannstrom Forsberg Norris (maybe) and Bostons 1st may all be on the move

Combine that with a decent middle 6/bottom 4 D UFA Class we could have an effective off season

Reactions: Dionysus

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I can see the logic in trading Joseph.
  • He has been an all-tools no toolbox type of guy for the majority of his career. He was fantastic for parts of this season, and for smaller portions of his time in Tampa, but the consistency career wise has not been there. If they don't think he is the player he showed this season, they could "sell high".
  • Pierre Dorion locked up a lot of players and made it very difficult for them to change the personnel because of how many big and long contracts were given out. Sometimes, teams just need turnover for the sake of turnover after a bad season. He is someone they can move who would probably bring back a different good player who can change things up.
That isn't to say I would trade him, but if their position was that they think they are selling high and that the roster needs some change for the sake of change to make people uncomfortable and create a storming effect in the room, I would at least understand their logic.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Toffoli-Norris-Batherson
Greig-Pinto-xxxx
Kelly-Kastelic-xxxx

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Tanev
Klevin-xxxx

xxxx
Korpi

-Chychrun will be moved
-Chabot staying put

I wonder if several former players that Green coached in Vancouver possibly being available played a role in his hiring.

Toffoli, Tanev and Markstrom all were rumoured to want to stay in Vancouver when Green was still head coach, but Benning had other ideas and mismanaged the cap, so they all went elsewhere as UFAs.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Don't get moving Joseph. He is a solid bottom 6 option who brings speeds. Toffoli is too slow for an already not so fast team. I get the heavier side of the coin but I think we need a center

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I can see the logic in trading Joseph.
  • He has been an all-tools no toolbox type of guy for the majority of his career. He was fantastic for parts of this season, and for smaller portions of his time in Tampa, but the consistency career wise has not been there. If they don't think he is the player he showed this season, they could "sell high".
  • Pierre Dorion locked up a lot of players and made it very difficult for them to change the personnel because of how many big and long contracts were given out. Sometimes, teams just need turnover for the sake of turnover after a bad season. He is someone they can move who would probably bring back a different good player who can change things up.
That isn't to say I would trade him, but if their position was that they think they are selling high and that the roster needs some change for the sake of change to make people uncomfortable and create a storming effect in the room, I would at least understand their logic.

He's always been a smart hockey player, so the no toolbox talk is silly.

What he has never been able to do is shoot the puck hard, which has prevented him from taking the next step forward production-wise.

Up until this past season, that is. His shot power looks to have improved significantly and it made him more effective offensively.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wow, this thread has come full circle, page one is taking about trading Josep, and 276 pages later, we are once again talking about trading him...

If we trade him, we'd need to replace his role. I'm not against trading him, he's a secondary piece that you expect to see change with, but if we move him it need to be because we have a better option.

We absolutely need his, or an alternatives, penalty killing.

We absolutely needhis, or an alternatives, speed in the lineup.

We could improve on his two way play, he's ok in that regard but an upgrade would be nice

We could improve on his two physicality, he's willing but not particularly physical.

Joseph isn't a bad piece, there should be no rush to trade him, but he also is by no means a core piece.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sens need to replace his speed or close to it. Hard to say that JM would give him a ringing endorsement for the time he was behind the bench.
I do not know the breakdown of his line mates and usage 1st half compared to 2nd half. He certainly started the year on fire... probably punched above his weight in terms of production. He has elements of his game the Sens would miss depending on who his replacement would be. I never thought he was the smartest player on the ice but his speed can be disruptive even with little physicality and he was good on the PK for the most part.

1715964678815.png

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Joseph was bound to bounce back from his previous year, but even if he 'regresses' to a 20 point guy, he's fast, kills penalties and isn't a liability. This team needs a lot of change, but trading Joseph isn't going to move the needle much.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

A nice two for one deal for Steve The Greek Staios, get at 'er! Tanev (warrior), Pesce and Necas are upgrades over any of the veteran defencemen this team has signed in the last...decade? Last key UFA D signing was Gonchar two decades ago..holy f***amole!

Key veteran signings on D would allow someone like Tyler Kleven to learn effectively on the job. Looks like he will be given every opportunity to make the team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad