Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It seems like a fairly ideal trade could be had with the St Louis Blues. The main component of the deal would essentially be Josh Norris and Jakub Chychrun for Brayden Schenn and Colton Parayko.
Norris is untradeable at the moment.

It was a bad contract the second it was signed (good player but health concerns and not enough sample size) and it is worse now since it sounds like he is done at C.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
So he's been linked to the Sens a few times; we've inquired about him last off season and if he gets fully cleared to play again I bet we inquire and SJS says hell ya. They can't retain though so it means you're moving out a Chabot OR Norris type piece to fit him in (he's also a C). If we delt Norris to BOS for say Ulmark it would make sense.
Norris is owed like 52 million, I don’t see SJ taking that on during a time where they are tanking. Not a cap issue so much as a real dollars issue.

I don’t think there’s a trade out there for Norris that makes us better anyway. We just have to hope he gets healthy and can bounce back. It’ll be like 3 years before the contract poses a real issue, and by then you’ll at least know if he’s back on track or couldn’t recover and go from there.

Reactions: Icelevel and DrEasy

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
I can't see a trade for Couture that makes sense without retention, unless Norris is completely baked and they think he will be useless.

We're not trading for Couture of 5+ years ago, we're trading for a veteran presence who might be able to contribute but might not.

Free agency is different because we could do something like 1 year at a few million, with some of it being diverted to next year via paper performance bonuses. 8Mx3Y is too much.

Korpisalo for Couture is the closest thing, but even then, that's not something I would want to do.
I'd do that in a heartbeat he's +35 so what's a buyout look like?

Norris is owed like 52 million, I don’t see SJ taking that on during a time where they are tanking. Not a cap issue so much as a real dollars issue.

I don’t think there’s a trade out there for Norris that makes us better anyway. We just have to hope he gets healthy and can bounce back. It’ll be like 3 years before the contract poses a real issue, and by then you’ll at least know if he’s back on track or couldn’t recover and go from there.
Norris isn't going to SJS he'd go to Boston. I could see a large hockey trade with Boston, Chychrun+Norris for Ulmark, Carlo and maybe a pick.

Norris is untradeable at the moment.

It was a bad contract the second it was signed (good player but health concerns and not enough sample size) and it is worse now since it sounds like he is done at C.
Untradeable gets thrown around too much.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Norris isn't going to SJS he'd go to Boston. I could see a large hockey trade with Boston, Chychrun+Norris for Ulmark, Carlo and maybe a pick.
I doubt Boston would do this. Carlo has three years of term on his contract at $4.1 m/year. Chychrun has one year and will likely require a raise. Then you are adding a pick on top of this. Boston would have to be convinced that Norris is completely healed and unlikely to be re-injured again just to get the process going of even considering this.

If they decide they want to move Ullmark, they could do this a separate deal just for him and likely get a return of some interest to them.

Couture’s contract is not pretty. $8 m for another three years. If its a post buyout scenario, and it was a short term contract heavily focused on bonuses, then maybe, assuming that the Senators did in fact have any interest in Couture. A buyout is something that the Senators should be avoiding as cap space is valuable.

Last edited:

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Re: Couture & trading Chabot or Norris

I would hope they use their draft capital on positions of greater need e.g., RD, goalie.
Who said anything about draft capital? Norris and Chychrun ain't helping with that, nor getting your RD (Other than getting a 1st for Chych) but dream on. FA or trading an in demand forward would but anyways...

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
I doubt Boston would do this. Carlo has three years of term on his contract at $4.1 m/year. Chychrun has one year and will likely require a raise. Then you are adding a pick on top of this. Boston would have to be convinced that Norris is completely healed and unlikely to be re-injured again just to get the process going of even considering this.

If they decide they want to move Ullmark, they could do this a separate deal just for him and likely get a return of some interest to them.

Couture’s contract is not pretty. $8 m for another three years. If its a post buyout scenario, and it was a short term contract heavily focused on bonuses, then maybe, assuming that the Senators did in fact have any interest in Couture. A buyout is something that the Senators should be avoiding as cap space is valuable.
That's fair and is a gamble but remember, Bos was willing to trade Ulmark for PLD. Would you rather have Norris at a shade under 8 or PLD @8.5. I know which I'd rather, and you can't judge Norris until he has a full year post rehab.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Who said anything about draft capital? Norris and Chychrun ain't helping with that, nor getting your RD (Other than getting a 1st for Chych) but dream on. FA or trading an in demand forward would but anyways...
Sorry. Not sure why I said "draft capital". I meant trade chips/trade bait or some words to that effect.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
That's fair and is a gamble but remember, Bos was willing to trade Ulmark for PLD. Would you rather have Norris at a shade under 8 or PLD @8.5. I know which I'd rather, and you can't judge Norris until he has a full year post rehab.
If I were Boston, I wouldn’t want either and would be more patient and wait for a better/less risky player in a trade.

I agree, teams will wait a year to see how Norris shoulder behaves before thinking of trading for him. This is exactly what I said in my post. But your proposal had Norris going to Boston now (this summer/fall/season or whatever). Chychrun and Ullmark will both be free agents the season after this season, so you have to have meant the trade would go down this summer/fall/season.

I’m sure the thinking is that Boston wants a center, but they don’t need to take a risk on a player who may potentially have injury issues. They have other options.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Norris is a 50 plus pt two way 200' centre who is defensively responsible & very good at faceoffs, who can play on the PP or the PK, why the hell would you want to trade him? You're not getting a better player in return, lots of young NHL players have had injuries & shoulder injuries specifically & recovered to become great players & Norris has that potential.

Reactions: Samboni

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Here's a crazy idea: maybe we just wait to see how Norris plays after a full recovery+training camp before trading him?
Not even training camp, Norris probably needs a whole season to get back on track. Not only to recover from the injury, but I think people forget how much development time he’s lost to these injuries. He hasn’t even played 200 NHL games.

I’ll consider next season a win if he can get through it without any major injuries and actually have a summer to train normally as opposed to rehabbing his shoulder. I still think he can be a great player but we’ll have to be patient.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Norris 100% needs a full season before he might get back to his old self. Just like Batherson did. If he can.

My point is that the core needs a change but no one wants to trade a core piece besides Chabot or Chychrun. Sry guys gotta trade something that you don't want to if you want to get something you need.

We also need the cap room.

Reactions: NB613

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Norris 100% needs a full season before he might get back to his old self. Just like Batherson did. If he can.

My point is that the core needs a change but no one wants to trade a core piece besides Chabot or Chychrun. Sry guys gotta trade something that you don't want to if you want to get something you need.

I think it’s enough to change the coaching staff, the goaltending, plus Chychrun/Brannstorm/Hamonic who are all likely to be gone, and a couple bottom six guys.

Then you see how the core responds. If we still suck, it’s probably them. You don’t HAVE to move someone this off-season, the only reason to do it is if there’s a great return. Selling low on Norris or Chabot doesn’t get you that.

People fantasize about what we’d do with more cap room but it may not look like you’d expect given our challenges in getting players to come here.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and DrEasy

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
During last offseason, we were worried about the probability of Chychrun missing time out of habit. Instead he ended up playing 82 games.

Definitely open to standing pat on Norris for now and seeing if he can bounce back. Worst case he ends up injured again and goes back on LTIR.
Didn't I read somewhere that the latest surgery was with the same surgeon Tarasenko used previously and he hasn't had any problems since? Fingers crossed that the other surgeon(s) didn't do the job properly and this one did.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I think we should just value getting a veteran C between Stützle and Pinto. They are our 1-2 punch going forward so supporting them is the priority and you’re not going to do that with Norris/Kastelic

We can go about this two ways:
1) trade Norris directly for a veteran center who has top 6 experience
2) trade for a cheap veteran centre (3C) and move Norris to wing

Guys I see fit: Schenn, Couturier, Couture, Kadri, Jenner, Laughton

Most of these guys can play wing as well, so you’ll have options with Greig at centre or moving Norris back to c when proven healthy/effective ( if you go option 2 )

Last edited:
Reactions: Duncstar

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'd be very open to trading Norris. Not sure we ever see the the player we once had in his 1st couple of seasons.
His contract is pretty untradeable until he can show he can stay healthy and be more than the perimeter player he was last year.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Winnipeg a good spot for Chychrun?

Chychrun for Appleton, Tyrel Bauer, +?
I had thought about Winnipeg as an option when I was trying to figure out who would even want Chychrun. I was looking at Morgan Barron and a draft pick as the return.

Problem is - surely Chychrun is going to have the Jets on his NTC, right?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I had thought about Winnipeg as an option when I was trying to figure out who would even want Chychrun. I was looking at Morgan Barron and a draft pick as the return.

He only has a 10 team list, so does he prioritize playoffs or location?

I'd say it's 50/50 but idk.

Emerica

May 29, 2010

The guy eats elk hearts. Think he could be one of the few who enjoys being in Manitoba

Reactions: Duncstar

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

We could do something like this:
  1. Move Chychrun & sign a good RD like Pesce, Roy (or someone else)
  2. Move Forsberg and sign Brossoit
  3. Buyout Hamonic
  4. Add a middle winger; and,
  5. Give Pinto a new contract that is not a bridge contract.
If you bridge Pinto, save a little elsewhere, and don’t buy out Hamonic, we might have enough to buyout Korpisalo and replace him with another goalie (and keep Forsberg). I’d have to run those numbers though.

1715576496546.png

Attachments

• 1715570675604.png
    1715570675604.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I’m sold on Zadorov, that’s the guy i want holy jumpin’ he’s been good these playoffs! Super physical!
There is going to be a crazy bidding war for him and he is probably going to get overpaid, but man I would rather overpay Ivan Drago here as opposed to Chychrun ten times out of ten. Zadorov is exactly what we have been missing - a big, nasty piece of business who makes opponents nervous as they cross your blue line. Have you seen the size of this dude's melon? I swear that his helmet barely fits...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad