Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Would definitely do Chychrun + BOS 1st for Cernak

Too much.

Chychrun on the low end is worth a late 1st and a few B or C pieces. In a worst case scenario, Debrincat went for a 1st and a 4th. I don't think Cernak is worth multiple first round picks.

There should be a premium on Cernak because of his size, handedness, and how he plays big - but he still isn't a top pairing defenseman. He's signed for the next 7 seasons, well into his mid-30s. With how he plays, and his size, there is some risk to taking him on.

I'd be fine with an extended Chychrun for Cernak, but us throwing in another first is too much.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I would personally try and target Carlo in a Chychrun trade. And then in a separate deal try for whitecloud

I think the window of opportunity has closed on acquiring Carlo. Would have had to have happened when he was coming back from concussions.

Reactions: Icelevel

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I actually wonder if all the Chychrun to Boston smoke/talk is done now that Mason Lohrei has really stepped up in the playoffs and shown he can be an option in that top-four.

They'll probably still bring in a LS defenceman, but I question whether they think they need to shell out big money and term for Chychrun when they already have Lindholm on the left side and Lohrei making a more immediate impact than they likely anticipated. They might be happy with a short/term low money 2nd/3rd pair veteran.

If the Bruins commit to Swayman for big money and bring DeBrusk back as an FA they'll already be up against the cap, they might be happy to have Lohrei and Wotherspoon playing a big role on the cheap.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I wonder about Minnesota as a destination for Chychrun. His relatively low cap hit would appeal to them. They've got a need for a top 4 LD unless they think Middleton is one. And they've got picks, prospects, and possibly a (former Senator) goalie available to trade.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
It’s Weager or Parayko and either Dumba or Tanev this off-season. Book it. What the pieces are lord knows. But that’s what it’ll be. One long term vet and one short term vet.

Reactions: NB613

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I wonder about Minnesota as a destination for Chychrun. His relatively low cap hit would appeal to them. They've got a need for a top 4 LD unless they think Middleton is one. And they've got picks, prospects, and possibly a (former Senator) goalie available to trade.
Chych at half retained for Gus, Johansson, and a 2nd

• Wow
Reactions: senswon

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Chych at half retained for Gus, Johansson, and a 2nd

We don't have cap space to retain on Chychrun and adequately address our needs.

I also think that if we're trading for a goalie, we need more of a sure thing than Gustavsson. I'm not a goalie guy, so maybe there are things in his technique or skill that lead people to believe he is closer to what he showed in his breakout season - but we're not really in a position where we can bring in a maybe in net. We don't even need a stud or a star, we just need a known quantity who can be dependable for 50 games.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It’s Weager or Parayko and either Dumba or Tanev this off-season. Book it. What the pieces are lord knows. But that’s what it’ll be. One long term vet and one short term vet.
I highly doubt Weegar will be made available. If he is, he will cost way too much. Coming off a hell of a season, they just thinned out their D core, and he's on a good value contract with no pressure points atm.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Would definitely do Chychrun + BOS 1st for Cernak

That would be an insane overpayment for Cernak.

How is that an overpayment. That’s not likely enough.

I would personally try and target Carlo in a Chychrun trade. And then in a separate deal try for whitecloud

I highly doubt Weegar will be made available. If he is, he will cost way too much. Coming off a hell of a season, they just thinned out their D core, and he's on a good value contract with no pressure points atm.
Off-season expectations for player acquisitions seem to be quite high in here. We’ll have to see how this plays out, but I can imagine a scenario where a chunk of the fan base is going to be disappointed. I’m guessing some are underestimating how hard it is to get a good RD. Hope for the best of course.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Only if the Leafs take Forsberg off us for Samsonov's signing rights and we sign him to like $2 million one year lol

You’re thinking too small. Leafs need a veteran G. They need a G who has won a playoff series. They need a G like Korpisalo (no retention) for a 4th.

Just don’t look at his stats…

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Off-season expectations for player acquisitions seem to be quite high in here. We’ll have to see how this plays out, but I can imagine a scenario where a chunk of the fan base is going to be disappointed. I’m guessing some are underestimating how hard it is to get a good RD. Hope for the best of course.
For better or for worse, Dorion liked going big game hunting. I'm not sure what Staios' approach is like. Will he be Treliving (involved in the conversation for very big name but always gets outbid)?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Also worth pointing out about Weegar that even though he's right handed, he's better on the left, so hard to say if he'd be a solution. He'd still be our best D man on day 1 though.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
For better or for worse, Dorion liked going big game hunting. I'm not sure what Staios' approach is like. Will he be Treliving (involved in the conversation for very big name but always gets outbid)?
Yes, I agree. We don’t have a book on Staois, so pretty hard to guess or know he might do.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Sign Stephenson.

On a more serious note a player like him would be vital for us down the middle. Most likely via trade

Also Chychrun is getting at max a late 1st and some throw in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad