Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He sucks, produce of a good team. They just started Dave Rittich over him. Technically poor loses his net same issue as when he was here.

Brossoit is who I want them to go for.
Suck or not, he's still a marked improvement over Korpisalo and Forsberg this year.

That said, we did try to extend him, he wasn't interested at whatever we offered.

Reactions: gab6511

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
He sucks, product of a good team. They just started Dave Rittich over him. Technically poor loses his net same issue as when he was here.

I'm not saying he's good, I'm saying we should have just stuck with the evil we knew for another year rather than splurging for Korpisalo.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You don’t not trade for Ullmark because we have Korpi.

That’s just dumb.

We NEED goaltending to start winning games. If you can get the guy for Chych then you do it and you worry about Korpi later.

Worrying about cap allocations all the way to rolling out the same glaring issue for another season would be insane.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
He doesn't fill any current need aside from vet, we're far better off spending that money on a RHD and middle six two way physical presence.
Doesn't fill a need??? lol

Dude just put up over 40 goals.. again.

He's a proven winner. Clutch. Amazing captain. The type of person you want around the kids. On a team that over passes and tries to be too cute, and when they do shoot, they miss the net, it would be nice have a pure sniper.

SensFanInMTL

Apr 25, 2020
Been watching a lot of the Jets/ Avalanche & Oilers/ Kings series. Whatever changes Staios & company have in mind, is not even going to phase teams like COL & EDM when we face them during the regular season. The tasks are completely overwhelming and much work to do to even be considered to be taken serious. The amount of work the Sens management is so insurmountable it's not even understandable.

Reactions: Senovision

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

He's a proven winner. Clutch. Amazing captain. The type of person you want around the kids. On a team that over passes and tries to be too cute, and when they do shoot, they miss the net, it would be nice have a pure sniper.
It's not hard to understand, we have limited resources and actual needs that take priority. You can't just sign every good player, you need to base who you target on the wholes in the lineup.

Stamkos doesn't make us better defensively, doesn't add toughness, isn't a RHD, and isn't a starting goalie, if we were to sign him we'd waste away another season because we didn't address what is actually wrong with the team, it's a classic Dorion move of going after a big name with zero overarching plan, only completely unrealistic since we likely can't afford him anyways.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Been watching a lot of the Jets/ Avalanche & Oilers/ Kings series. Whatever changes Staios & company have in mind, is not even going to phase teams like COL & EDM when we face them during the regular season. The tasks are completely overwhelming and much work to do to even be considered to be taken serious. The amount of work the Sens management is so insurmountable it's not even understandable.

lol calm down, it’s the playoffs. of course every team has another gear.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Suck or not, he's still a marked improvement over Korpisalo and Forsberg this year.

That said, we did try to extend him, he wasn't interested at whatever we offered.
Mike smith would have been an improvement over korpisalo

I thought we actually played Colorado alright. Not great but didn’t look like different level. Sogaard shit the bed in the second game

Reactions: SensFanInMTL

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

He’s also in a great team that covers for him. Put him here and I bet we won’t be saying a lot of this. Time comes for us all

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This is an average at the very best team, it's going to take years to become a contender, lots and lots of work needs to be done by Staios

We lost out on 3/4 years of traction, we're about that many years behind where we'd like to be

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
This is an average at the very best team, it's going to take years to become a contender, lots and lots of work needs to be done by Staios

We lost out on 3/4 years of traction, we're about that many years behind where we'd like to be
I’m thinking playoffs next year is the goal and maybe contender status in 3 years, not favourites but contenders. All dependant on the right moves of course.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I’m thinking playoffs next year is the goal and maybe contender status in 3 years, not favourites but contenders. All dependant on the right moves of course.
Playoffs next year... Is something we can have on rinse repeat... Eventually it will happen. Squeak in bow out quick. Feel a sense of achievement.
Definitely not convinced we squeak in next year .. with the right moves as you say we could.
Not even going to touch the contender status and how long that takes at this point. 3 years is ambitious

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Playoffs next year... Is something we can have on rinse repeat... Eventually it will happen. Squeak in bow out quick. Feel a sense of achievement.
Definitely not convinced we squeak in next year .. with the right moves as you say we could.
Not even going to touch the contender status and how long that takes at this point. 3 years is ambitious
3 years is ambitious but I’m basing it on having Brady, Stu, Batherson, Pinto, Sanderson all locked up meaning we should be able to add each off season. Again, we need the smart moves.

As for next year, I’m fully expecting a hard TC which hopefully leads to a reasonable start. I’m optimistic since Dorion can’t do anything stupid this offseason.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

We should have been in a position to squeak in this year. 82 games with Pinto instead of 41, slightly below average goaltending instead of atrocious (I'm thinking the type we got last year), and a bit better health from Chabot, Norris and Stutzle, and maybe this season feels significantly different.

Now, are any of those expectations unrealistic? Well, I doubt Pinto continues to get suspended for half seasons, so I think we can pencil in more games from him. Chabot had his worst health year of his career, we probably can't expect 82 games, but 65-70 would still be helpful. Stu's wrist seemed to bug him all year, I hope he looks more like the end of 2023 version that put up 90 pts, maybe he's "only" a pt per game, instead of a 70 pts guy, but that's not unrealistic.

The roster clearly has issues, there's no debating that, but those issues are why the expectation this year was grabbing a wild card spot, I'd argue the discrepancy between results and expectations this year were based at least in part on some anomalous factors that shouldn't be expected to repeat if we ran it all over again, aside from the goaltending and with the benefit of hindsight, norris' shoulder surgery not being entirely successful last round.

Reactions: DrEasy

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
3 years is ambitious but I’m basing it on having Brady, Stu, Batherson, Pinto, Sanderson all locked up meaning we should be able to add each off season. Again, we need the smart moves.

As for next year, I’m fully expecting a hard TC which hopefully leads to a reasonable start. I’m optimistic since Dorion can’t do anything stupid this offseason.

I think it's reasonable to have this optimism. We've had idiocy at the GM role and complacency and next to nothing from the head coach.

I think the team learned quite a bit from the Martin "era" 2.0. Certain players, Batherson and Pinto being prime examples, showed real signs of "getting it" and the team played much more cohesively. A new coach with more of a long term plan can build on that.

They need a few smart moves, as you pointed out. Not earth shattering but they need to move out Chychrun and bring in a RHD who plays a similar style to Zub. But, IMO, the biggest thing is the 2020 draft guys. Does Stü right the ship next year and be the superstar in the making that he was in early 2023? Does Sanderson take the next step that many think he will? And to a lesser degree does Greig grow into an early-career Marchand type player? If two of those happen I think we're a playoff contender.

Of course we're going to need a save here and there but I think we'll see some regression to the norm in nets even if we keep the same two goalies.

We're far from being a dominant team but I think we're 50/50 to make the playoffs next year.

Reactions: bicboi64

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
How about a deal around Tage Thompson and Tim Stutzle. Both on long term, cap friendly deals with no trade protections this year.

Buffalo adds speed and playmaking, and can play JJ and Tim together up front with instant chemistry.

Ottawa adds size and goal scoring, with an all American trio of Brady, Tage, and Drake averaging 6’4+ and combining for 90ish goals.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
How about a deal around Tage Thompson and Tim Stutzle. Both on long term, cap friendly deals with no trade protections this year.

Buffalo adds speed and playmaking, and can play JJ and Tim together up front with instant chemistry.

Ottawa adds size and goal scoring, with an all American trio of Brady, Tage, and Drake averaging 6’4+ and combining for 90ish goals.
5 year age disparity and Thomson really had a down year. I think there needs to be a big add from Buffalo.

Stutzle + Chabot for Thompson + Power.

Reactions: Cosmix

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend

No chance. That's a Dorion type of deal.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
What you are saying in this post is spot on but I do find that people take that probability (on average, we are a below average or even bottom 5 destination) and overstate it or even apply it as a cold, hard rule.

In the case of Ullmark, if he knows he's going to be moved either way, his top choice may well be the team that offers him security. Changing teams as an impeding UFA goalie, especially one leaving Boston, carries a lot of risk. Mitigating that risk would be extremely attractive to many people.

I don't think Boston will trade Ullmark to us anyways but the point I'm making is a general one
If you pay an extra million per year, and the term offered is one year longer, who knows? Maybe that’s enough.

Example:
5 years x 6 million per year = $30 million
4 years x 5 million per year = $20 million

This is a difference of $10 million (plus additional security due to term). Its just an “example” versus trying to identify market value of Ulmark’s next contract.

I get the pessimism based on history, but the self-defeating, inferiority complex gets so depressing after a while.

Oct 10, 2010
Ullmark has to be our # 1 target you don’t win without good goaltending

I’m glad Boston keeps using Swayman, keep Ullmarks value down.

Masterplan

May 9, 2022
He sucks, product of a good team. They just started Dave Rittich over him. Technically poor loses his net same issue as when he was here.

While I like Brossoit, he hasn't proven himself to be a No. 1 or even a 1B. That's the kinda move that will land the Sens with to Korpisalo's.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

I’d think the word is “priority” versus “need”. We have several needs, but given cap constraints, the organization will need to figure out what the “priorities” are.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad