Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
ya...no

Sounds like the Kubalik can be almost as good as DBC talk around here last summer
Really not comparable players. Laughton is better at every facet of the game than Kubalik, he would be sought after by literally every team in the league.

In fact, I can almost guarantee that if he's on the trade market this year, there will be more teams in on him than those in on Chychrun. But no, you're right, an above average offensive DMan who cant defend, PK, or hit is in a whole other stratosphere than a solid all-around 40 pt C. What an idiotic comment I made.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I wonder if Jeannot would be a good buy low candidate. TJ was crap this year, especially in the playoffs. If Brisebois decides its time to move on, I wonder if he can be had for cheap

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Really not comparable players. Laughton is better at every facet of the game than Kubalik, he would be sought after by literally every team in the league.

In fact, I can almost guarantee that if he's on the trade market this year, there will be more teams in on him than those in on Chychrun. But no, you're right, an above average offensive DMan who cant defend, PK, or hit is in a whole other stratosphere than a solid all-around 40 pt C. What an idiotic comment I made.
I am not comparing Kubalik to Laughton

I am comparing the comments of saying Laughton would have a bigger impact than Chychrun here therefore its worth trading Chychrun for him is just delusional imo

I agree we won't get value for Chychrun but there is no need to dress it up as a potential win for Ottawa

Reactions: Bileur and bicboi64

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Have you watched the Vancouver games. You think Nashville isn’t playing as well as Vancouver?

If you haven’t watched the games then it proves my point lol.
Yes, I have. I made a general comment applicable to ALL regular season and playoff games versus one playoff series. Surely you can comprehend the difference.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley

I am comparing the comments of saying Laughton would have a bigger impact than Chychrun here therefore its worth trading Chychrun for him is just delusional imo

I agree we won't get value for Chychrun but there is no need to dress it up as a potential win for Ottawa
With the way Chychrun tanked his value this season we'll be lucky to get someone like Laughton for him now.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

I would be very surprised if we get Laughton (or a better asset) for Chychrun.

Chychrun was a huge mistake that could leave us totally empty handed. If we end up with a player who is similarly impactful as Chychrun - which Laughton is, pretty objectively - that will probably be our best case scenario. They are both middle of the lineup players for us… Laughton brings something we almost completely lack whereas Chychrun brings maybe the only thing we have in spades (and lacks what we lack). If you wanna overrate Chychrun or underrate Laughton, go ahead.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Maybe Briere thinks Torts can round out Chychrun's game.

If not Laughton, if we can turn Chychrun into Sanheim, that'd be dope

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Maybe Briere thinks Torts can round out Chychrun's game.

If not Laughton, if we can turn Chychrun into Sanheim, that'd be dope
I think they're pretty fine with Sanheim at 6 million for the next 7 years, don't think they'd want to make what they'd probably see as a lateral, at best, move for an unsigned player when they have a guys who played 24 mins a night and put up 45 points for them

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I think they're pretty fine with Sanheim at 6 million for the next 7 years, don't think they'd want to make what they'd probably see as a lateral, at best, move for an unsigned player when they have a guys who played 24 mins a night and put up 45 points for them
If only Dorion was able to fleece Hextall while he was still there

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yes, I have. I made a general comment applicable to ALL regular season and playoff games versus one playoff series. Surely you can comprehend the difference.
I’m talking about right now. I think. I forget the convo. But yeah right now. Canucksnare frauds

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Please sign stamkos to help giroux and maybe cooper too?
Would be amazing to get Stamkos but you would have to think TBL will look to bring him back and if he does test the market, you would have to think that everyone is going to be lining up for him.

That said, was just over on the Lightning board and as expected, they are calling for lots of changes.
Lots of names being thrown around over there as potential trade bait this off-season, including Nick Paul, Cernak (RD) Cirelli, Sergachev (LD/RD), Perbix (RD), Sheary & Jeannot.

Their fans are calling for a top-4 RHD this off-season as well, so don't think Chychrun would really be in their plans. Cernak seems to have fallen out of favour with a number of those fans which is a little surprising but have to think he could be a target for us?

Cernak is turning 27 in a month's time. 6'3" & 230lbs. Big, physical stay at home type D.
Seems like a good fit for what we are looking for?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Would be amazing to get Stamkos but you would have to think TBL will look to bring him back and if he does test the market, you would have to think that everyone is going to be lining up for him.

That said, was just over on the Lightning board and as expected, they are calling for lots of changes.
Lots of names being thrown around over there as potential trade bait this off-season, including Nick Paul, Cernak (RD) Cirelli, Sergachev (LD/RD), Perbix (RD), Sheary & Jeannot.

Their fans are calling for a top-4 RHD this off-season as well, so don't think Chychrun would really be in their plans. Cernak seems to have fallen out of favour with a number of those fans which is a little surprising but have to think he could be a target for us?

Cernak is turning 27 in a month's time. 6'3" & 230lbs. Big, physical stay at home type D.
I think Cernak is a convenient scapegoat as one of their few big $ guys who isn't a high-skill, obvious impact player, but I doubt their management feels the same way. As you said, they are probably looking for a top 4RHD on top of Cernak.

He would be an amazing fit but I don't think he will be dealt. I would be very reticent to discuss Grieg but would have to consider it for Cernak.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

I’d wonder what Stamkos next contract looks like?

We have about $12.1 m of projected cap space (per CapFriendly). Even if you move Chychrun with no salary coming back and buy-out let’s say Korpisalo, we’ll have less than $20 m of cap space. These are quick calculations & rough numbers that includes the Korpisalo buyout btw.. It doesn’t go that far when you are talking about adding players like Stamkos, planning to add & pay a good RD (Cernak is $5.2 m btw, but we could be spending more in free agency perhaps), and replacing the goalie that has been bought out. Then there’s a new contract for Pinto.

Besides the competition for good assets from other teams, there is the constraint of cap space that seems to be (?) under estimated.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Don't want Stamkos he would cost atleast 6mill and don't think he brings what we need

hes going to sign in Tampa anyways. His value due to his legacy is more valuable to Tampa than anyone else

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
Don't want Stamkos he would cost atleast 6mill and don't think he brings what we need

hes going to sign in Tampa anyways. His value due to his legacy is more valuable to Tampa than anyone else
What if you could get him for 5 mill?
He also wore leafs jammies growing up and its just down the road. Could be part of another good thing if we can make the changes.
Lord knows we could use his compete, skill and experience.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
So who do we target when the leafs overreact and blow up their roster after another loss?

I kinda want nick robertson. His underlying numbers are good for his modest usage and he's still really young with time to round out his game.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Stamkos isn't coming here. It makes no sense. We don't have the cap to overpay him. We aren't a contender. We are a shit-show until proven otherwise. We have nothing to offer him. Even Rib Fest hasn't been very good the past few years.

Someone like Tanev might come here because the ceiling to overpay him is much lower, so we could actually do it. If we offer Tanev 5M x 3-4 years, we're probably ahead of every other team just based on the additional term.

If I am a team like Salt Lake City, maybe I would offer Stamkos a massive 1 year contract because cap doesn't matter over 1 year for them. They will have loads of it. It's more real money at that point. You give Stamkos 1 year at a hugely inflated salary with a NMC and a 3-team NTC starting at the TDL. It brings in a big name offensive superstar for the first year of the team. If he's a fit, they can always sign a market-value extension in January. If he isn't a fit, they either keep him as an own-rental or flip him for a draft pick at the deadline (depending on if they get Tarasenko'd).

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Stamkos isn't coming here. It makes no sense. We don't have the cap to overpay him. We aren't a contender. We are a shit-show until proven otherwise. We have nothing to offer him. Even Rib Fest hasn't been very good the past few years.

Someone like Tanev might come here because the ceiling to overpay him is much lower, so we could actually do it. If we offer Tanev 5M x 3-4 years, we're probably ahead of every other team just based on the additional term.

If I am a team like Salt Lake City, maybe I would offer Stamkos a massive 1 year contract because cap doesn't matter over 1 year for them. They will have loads of it. It's more real money at that point. You give Stamkos 1 year at a hugely inflated salary with a NMC and a 3-team NTC starting at the TDL. It brings in a big name offensive superstar for the first year of the team. If he's a fit, they can always sign a market-value extension in January. If he isn't a fit, they either keep him as an own-rental or flip him for a draft pick at the deadline (depending on if they get Tarasenko'd).
Not sure if we could even get Stammer signed in Chell. It's one of the biggest pipe dreams I've ever seen on these boards. I could see us trading for Sheary lol

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010

Would cost a lot more than 6 million lol. He'd be perfect for the Sens, but it's a pipe dream.

Reactions: Senovision

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Would cost a lot more than 6 million lol. He'd be perfect for the Sens, but it's a pipe dream.
He doesn't fill any current need aside from vet, we're far better off spending that money on a RHD and middle six two way physical presence.

Reactions: xVolchenkov

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
NHL Trade Rumours came up on my FB feed with rumours of a “blockbuster” between DRW and Ottawa, Brady on the table… I had to laugh. No substance to a possible trade of course outside of dropping the best player’s names from both teams and general team circumstances justifying the phantom trade, pure click bait. I clicked, so I guess I’m a fish sometimes…

• Haha
Reactions: Bileur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad