Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Think we’d regret that contract pretty quick tbh. On top of that 7 million is gonna limit us from doing other things this summer.

Tanev is my ideal choice. I get the risk of it since he’s 35 but he’s still really good and I like the idea of a three year term vs others that we’ll have to commit more money to for longer. Ideally you slide him to the bottom pairing in that final year and you’ve got some time to draft or find a top 4 guy.
Pesce isn't the most physical guy, and can skate well. I'd rather give him $7 million than pay Chabot his salary or extend Chychrun at all. It'd be nice to lock up a legit top4 RD so we can have two of them. I'd rather try to fill holes on the forward lines with ELCs or cheap signings than on the backend. Unless of course the cost of Pesce means we can't get a proper goalie

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Think we’d regret that contract pretty quick tbh. On top of that 7 million is gonna limit us from doing other things this summer.

Tanev is my ideal choice. I get the risk of it since he’s 35 but he’s still really good and I like the idea of a three year term vs others that we’ll have to commit more money to for longer. Ideally you slide him to the bottom pairing in that final year and you’ve got some time to draft or find a top 4 guy.

There's better and cheaper options out there.
Roy, Carrier, Miller, Demelo

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Pesce isn't the most physical guy, and can skate well. I'd rather give him $7 million than pay Chabot his salary or extend Chychrun at all. It'd be nice to lock up a legit top4 RD so we can have two of them. I'd rather try to fill holes on the forward lines with ELCs or cheap signings than on the backend. Unless of course the cost of Pesce means we can't get a proper goalie
I like Pesce a lot, but I’m not a big fan of locking ourselves into guys that are almost 30 for big money at this stage. It would be different if we were in the midst of our window, but he’s likely to have his best days behind him by the time we’re competing.

Plus, you already have Chabot, it’s not like you’re replacing him with Pesce. I understand some want him gone but I don’t think he’s going anywhere and if he did, we’d get back a player most people would probably dislike even more.
There's better and cheaper options out there.
Roy, Carrier, Miller, Demelo
Roy isn’t gonna be cheaper. And I don’t think the other three are better, though I wouldn’t be opposed to Demelo or Carrier if it comes down to it.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I like Pesce a lot, but I’m not a big fan of locking ourselves into guys that are almost 30 for big money at this stage. It would be different if we were in the midst of our window, but he’s likely to have his best days behind him by the time we’re competing.

Plus, you already have Chabot, it’s not like you’re replacing him with Pesce. I understand some want him gone but I don’t think he’s going anywhere and if he did, we’d get back a player most people would probably dislike even more.
Valid point, but I'm also hoping Chabot is moved this summer. I'd rather take a chance on Branny playing 2LD than keep any of Chabot or Chychrun

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

Roy isn’t gonna be cheaper. And I don’t think the other three are better, though I wouldn’t be opposed to Demelo or Carrier if it comes down to it.

Roy might be more expensive dollar wise, but considering ages the value of the contract will be worth more over time.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Ohh, I thought you were talking about Pesce and Roy, seeing as the post you quoted seemed to mostly revolved around Pesce and never directly mentioned Tanev, I missed that the last para of that quoted post was a response to a Tanev post.

Yeah, honestly both Pesce and Roy will be a hot commodity. Don't see either choosing Ottawa barring an overpay. Tanev will also have plenty of suitors and apparently wants to go back to Vancouver.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Yeah, honestly both Pesce and Roy will be a hot commodity. Don't see either choosing Ottawa barring an overpay. Tanev will also have plenty of suitors and apparently wants to go back to Vancouver.
Ottawa isn't a desirable destination, but you'll probably be able to sell a top 4 dman that they'll get to play next to either Chabot or Sanderson, and players do consider getting to play with good players when deciding who to play for. A lot of teams better than Ottawa already have set partners for their #1 dman, so the one thing Ottawa can sell is a big opportunity.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Worth pointing out at 29 they may no longer be valuing party nightlife over good place to raise your family. If we're offering a guy with a wife and kids a 6 or 7 year deal, the suburban life might have some appeal where his wife can get a job (maybe continue their career) and they can feel safe about where there kids are.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa

Apparently he's interested in Vancouver and they like him

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
We are going to get Tanev.

He will try to use us as leverage to get more term somewhere else, but no one will bite.

Winning this year is very important, and he fills a primary need. We will offer him more term without caring about what the third year or whatever will look like because we are desperate to turn things around in the short term and there aren't a lot of options.

Even via trade, we don't have a lot of assets to work with.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We are going to get Tanev.

He will try to use us as leverage to get more term somewhere else, but no one will bite.

Winning this year is very important, and he fills a primary need. We will offer him more term without caring about what the third year or whatever will look like because we are desperate to turn things around in the short term and there aren't a lot of options.

Even via trade, we don't have a lot of assets to work with.
Tanev is a good short term solution.

I'd love to get a longer term solution like Pesce but if we do end up with Tanev I'm happy.

Sanderson-Tanev
Chabot-Zub
Kleven-Brannstrom/JBD

That seems like a pretty competitive backend (assuming we trade Chychrun to round our other spots). I'm not sold Brannstrom will be back, but we own his rights for now so I've included him.

I could see us going after a vet for the third to fill the role Hamonic was supposed to fill if we move on from Brannstrom

Up front, it sounds like they want someone to push Joseph down to the third line.

Tkachuk-Stu-Giroux
xxx-Pinto-Batherson
Greig-Norris-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-Katchouk

I'd like to get a wrecking ball for that 4th line, but I do think they played really well to finish the year, so I also like the idea of rewarding that.

Reactions: NB613 and DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Really hoping for Carrier. Perfect guy to play 19/20 minutes a night of responsible defensive hockey for a respectable salary.

Very good defensively, very smart. Not a banger, but perfect in a role for a defensively responsible compliment.

I’d much rather get him at a cheaper deal than spend a lot more salary and years to get some of the other guys.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Ottawa isn't a desirable destination, but you'll probably be able to sell a top 4 dman that they'll get to play next to either Chabot or Sanderson, and players do consider getting to play with good players when deciding who to play for. A lot of teams better than Ottawa already have set partners for their #1 dman, so the one thing Ottawa can sell is a big opportunity.

Worth pointing out at 29 they may no longer be valuing party nightlife over good place to raise your family. If we're offering a guy with a wife and kids a 6 or 7 year deal, the suburban life might have some appeal where his wife can get a job (maybe continue their career) and they can feel safe about where there kids are.

My post wasn't to dig at Ottawa being an undesirable location, I actually think it's middle of the pack maybe slightly lower.

What I meant was there will be teams who are as good if not better than Ottawa throwing offers at these top free agents.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Might as well bring back CC

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad