Free Agency and Trade Thread: Off-season alive and well ... for some!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I dont understand why everyone is pinning this loss on Gardiner? Yeah he was on for a lot of there goals...But were they really his fault? Maybe the second goal he had a shit breakout pass and then a turnover which eventually lead to a slot shot that should have been bozaks assignment. Yeah the 6th goal he got caught behind the net but where was the Centre or any forward covering the slot area? If there is 3 guys behind the net thats the forwards fault not Gardiners. The 5th goal was totally on Andersen Gardiner played it fine. The 4th goal was also totally on Andersen.

I dont think he had a great game with the breakouts but i mostly blame Zaitsev the guy is a giveaway machine. I just dont understand why we are linching Gardiner and keeping Zaitsev around when Gardiner is clearly the far superior player and had a much better series.

Reactions: Duckrider and Mork

Lethalsniper007

Aug 2, 2005
Lol yea right no way don’t give me that shit. Listen you got to be the best to play against the best I don’t care if your 20 or 30 years old. Washington really bunch of Russian players of course he played better.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Lou is still GM I can maybe see Polak getting another one year deal, but other than that I expect all UFAs to walk July 1st.

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
Here are the guys who didn’t show up. Jvr , bozak, Mathews, Nylander, Gardner... how are we supposed to win ?
Put the blame Wear it belongs I
couldn’t put that any better myself you’re stars don’t show up you don’t win and it’s the same as every year blah blah blah blah blah

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Bozak jvr leo are gone for sure
Their agents won’t receive a single phone call from the leafs.
Hopefully they take this opportunity to convince Mathews marner and nylander to lower extensions to spend some money on the back end.
Marner is the only one that could legit warrant a huge payday after this series.
Perhaps the taste of defeat will motivate them.

How sweet would doughty and Reilly look on the pp?
I’d sign doughty over Tavares

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I dont understand why everyone is pinning this loss on Gardiner? Yeah he was on for a lot of there goals...But were they really his fault? Maybe the second goal he had a **** breakout pass and then a turnover which eventually lead to a slot shot that should have been bozaks assignment. Yeah the 6th goal he got caught behind the net but where was the Centre or any forward covering the slot area? If there is 3 guys behind the net thats the forwards fault not Gardiners. The 5th goal was totally on Andersen Gardiner played it fine. The 4th goal was also totally on Andersen.

I dont think he had a great game with the breakouts but i mostly blame Zaitsev the guy is a giveaway machine. I just dont understand why we are linching Gardiner and keeping Zaitsev around when Gardiner is clearly the far superior player and had a much better series.
You had to copy and paste this trash post from the Gardiner thread to here? He was complete and utter trash tonight. I hope to never see Simple Jake in the Leaf jersey ever again. #TradeGardiner

dosages

Oct 16, 2017
Leafs need to start getting a cycling game, Matthews can't really do that when he has someone like hyman on his line unless hyman has a unreal summer where he becomes a heavy possession beast and develops consistant hands.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I highly doubt someone will take Zaitsev without the Leafs adding a something really nice to it. Keep him, see how he does next year, and if he's still bad, look to dump him to seattle. He'll have less term so the sweetener probably wont be as significant.

Ideally, Zaitsev is penciled in on your bottom pairing. They NEED to find a steady top 4 rhd that can make the first pass and play on the pk.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I highly doubt someone will take Zaitsev without the Leafs adding a something really nice to it. Keep him, see how he does next year, and if he's still bad, look to dump him to seattle. He'll have less term so the sweetener probably wont be as significant.

Ideally, Zaitsev is penciled in on your bottom pairing. They NEED to find a steady top 4 rhd that can make the first pass and play on the pk.

If Zaitsev is 3rd pairing we'd need 2 top 4 RHD then.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I dont understand why everyone is pinning this loss on Gardiner? Yeah he was on for a lot of there goals...But were they really his fault? Maybe the second goal he had a **** breakout pass and then a turnover which eventually lead to a slot shot that should have been bozaks assignment. Yeah the 6th goal he got caught behind the net but where was the Centre or any forward covering the slot area? If there is 3 guys behind the net thats the forwards fault not Gardiners. The 5th goal was totally on Andersen Gardiner played it fine. The 4th goal was also totally on Andersen.

The thing about Gardiner is not just this one game. It's his entire body of work. It's been his past 5+ years. He's extremely talented, but he's not reliable nor really that smart, and we need more reliable defensemen on the back end. We need more reliable players in general. We have a better, long term Gardiner in Rielly. And Dermott is looking like he could entering that territory in the next few years as well. Zaitsev may not have had the best year, but he handles a lot of tough minutes and even when he struggled, he was still able to find ways to be effective. We have nobody who can come even close to replacing even what he did in his off year. It's not on Zaitsev... It's on Gardiner.

It's time the Leafs consider moving on from him, because even if the Leafs find someone much better than Hainsey to put beside Rielly, Gardiner is still going to have the same problems he's always had and that's going to be a problem going forward... If he even lasts past next year. He may not even be here anyways.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
If Zaitsev is 3rd pairing we'd need 2 top 4 RHD then.
They could probably get away with Hainsey being on the 2nd pair RH side.

Ideally, you would get two top 4 rhd, but its super unrealistic. I mean, they've struggled to even get one for the last couple years.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

That's fine, because the Leafs won't be moving him anyways. Zaitsev is not going to be penciled in on the bottom pairing because he's capable of playing top 4 minutes. He's a 22+ minute player, and once he gets a more reliable partner than Gardiner, he probably will be loved by fans.

Gaelman

May 1, 2014
Scarborough
Bozak jvr leo are gone for sure
Their agents won’t receive a single phone call from the leafs.
Hopefully they take this opportunity to convince Mathews marner and nylander to lower extensions to spend some money on the back end.
Marner is the only one that could legit warrant a huge payday after this series.
Perhaps the taste of defeat will motivate them.

How sweet would doughty and Reilly look on the pp?
I’d sign doughty over Tavares
Doughty has 1 more year before he's a UFA.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
If anything positive is to come from this, it is that it will be beyond question that our defence isn’t good enough and that we need to upgrade to have any success.

Hainsey is overextended, Gardiner can’t be relied upon, zaitsev needs to get his act back together, and neither Polak or Carrick can get us where we need to go.

Would love to see Holl and/or Liljegren take a spot but we can’t afford to sit back and wait on it. We need at least 1 true top 4 RHD for next season.

Let’s see what the Leafs brass can get done.

It’s going to be a long offseason. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad