Free Agency and Trade Thread: Off-season alive and well ... for some!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I question how much value AG would have in bringing back a quality C or D with any kind of team control. 2 years to UFA, no real demonstrated ability to handle a C's defensive responsibility... doesn't scream core asset to me.

And then given that internally the Habs didn't see him as a C + his likelihood to walk in two years this is a recycling move on the wing, buying cap space, team control, and playstyle/defense at the cost of proven offense

Yes, I wouldn't see him re-signing with the Habs, when he wants to be a center and Julien doesn't want to give him that opportunity. TSN article talks about how Schenn moved into a center position in St. Louis after not getting that same opportunity in Philadelphia.

We know coaches have their own agenda's and that sometimes it doesn't align with the player's.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I question how much value AG would have in bringing back a quality C or D with any kind of team control. 2 years to UFA, no real demonstrated ability to handle a C's defensive responsibility... doesn't scream core asset to me.

And then given that internally the Habs didn't see him as a C + his likelihood to walk in two years this is a recycling move on the wing, buying cap space, team control, and playstyle/defense at the cost of proven offense
No I don't see him being a primary piece going back in such a deal, but he would be a good value add to a primary piece. It's not like they have that much disposable assets of good value for that purpose.

It just doesn't feel like a move made according to a plan and a vision, more something born from the desperation to get a surprise win.

horner

May 22, 2007
Not sure where you see a Patches/O'Reilly trade is imminent, but I'd love for that to go down.

O'Reilly in Montreal doesn't make enough of a difference for them to be a factor, and Buffalo gets significantly worse. Please happen.
If O'Reilly is available .
I would like us to make an offer.
Kadri + 2 prospects

Great 2nd line center

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

As @Nithoniniel eluded to, AG alone may not fetch much more in a trade but if you packaged him with a couple of those 2nd rounders the Habs have or other prospects/assets - they could go land a bigger fish.

Your explanation on contract status is correct and makes sense though. But at the end of the day Montreal did take a lesser player (currently) who hasn't shown much progress in his second and third year within the league. Furthermore it doesn't really address any of their concerns, and actually takes something away from what they need (goal scoring).

I'd be pretty underwhelmed if this were the Leafs in the Habs place.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
@BertCorbeau when it comes down to it I think that Domi is going to end up the more valuable player relative to cap hit than AG for the balance of their careers. I see Domi becoming a 15+goal 55+ point sparkplug on the low end. I see AG as either a JVR or a centre JVR, a guys whose offense commands more money than a winning team can afford to pay him due to his defensive deficiencies.

Reactions: leospaceman3434

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I have to guess the Canadiens are not done and that their picks are in play.

Talk here is how are the Flames going to get a pick in the 2nd. round? Thought is a 1st. would be too difficult to acquire without giving up a good young player.
Flames don't pick until the 4th. round. I think they're going to move a defender.
I could see Bennett being available as well. He was supposed to be a center, but that hasn't seemed to work out either. There's another experiment the Habs could try!

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
@BertCorbeau when it comes down to it I think that Domi is going to end up the more valuable player relative to cap hit than AG for the balance of their careers. I see Domi becoming a 15+goal 55+ point sparkplug on the low end. I see AG as either a JVR or a centre JVR, a guys whose offense commands more money than a winning team can afford to pay him due to his defensive deficiencies.

Well cap space is an asset.

Kind of like Kadri could end up being more valuable relative to cap hit than Tavares. Tavares is going to make twice as much, but isn't likely to produce twice as many points.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Kadri + 2 prospects

Great 2nd line center

O'Reilly is a favorite of mine, but not at that cost.

He's better than Kadri, but also comes with an extra 3 million worth of cap hit. Plus 2 prospects? No thanks.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Kadri + 2 prospects

Great 2nd line center

You could probably get O'Reilly for Kadri close to a 1 for 1.

PPG Career
O'Reilly .648
Kadri .641

Kadri a year older, but 3 million less per year.

Both have baggage, but one's baggage extends beyond the ice surface.

I'll take Kadri though.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It doesn’t feel like we are less than a week away from the draft.

The next few weeks are my favourite time of the year - tons of NHL/Leaf action. More excitement that stress. Fun to watch all of the roster moves unfold.

Will really start getting hyped up mid-week next week. That's when rumours will really heat up.

Reactions: garce and Menzinger

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The next few weeks are my favourite time of the year - tons of NHL/Leaf action. More excitement that stress. Fun to watch all of the roster moves unfold.

Will really start getting hyped up mid-week next week. That's when rumours will really heat up.

Yeah, there’s usually a decent amount of movement the week of the draft, so Monday-Friday should be fun.

Next 3 weeks will be fun, and then everything goes quiet.

Kinda sucks that the Leafs are doing their development camp the week between draft and free agency. They typically do it July, sorta extends some hockey coverage.

Guess Dubas wants his summer vacation sooner :sarcasm:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

JVR is exactly who I think of when I look at Galchenyuk. Not stylistically, but production wise.

I think Domi has the potential to be a lot better than that. He's already a very good playmaker.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
If we can't get Carlson, other than 1 or 2 year, low dollar contracts, no one really interests me

I'd be more open in the trading market considering we have a solid asset base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad