Free Agency 2009 SECOND PHASE Results

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Gentleman,

The normal regular season free agent signing rules are now in effect. If you want to bid on a player then please forward your offers to your respective agents.

Here are the results of the second phase of free agency:

UFA's

Juraj Mikus - Colorado Prospect
Corey Elkins - VANCOUVER - 1 x 650,000
Brian Connelly - VANCOUVER - 2 x 650,000
Ben Eaves - ANAHEIM - 1 x 600,000
Maxim Noreau - DETROIT - 2 x 900,000
Raistis Ivanans - NEW JERSEY - 2 x 500,000
Georges Laraque - PHOENIX - 2 x 650,000
Landon Wilson - PHOENIX - 2 x 450,000
Chris Porter - NY RANGERS - 1 x 510,000
Darren McCarty - NY RANGERS - 1 x 460,000
Scott Munroe - NEW JERSEY - 4 x 500,000
Wyatt Smith - NEW JERSEY - 3 x 475,000
Richard Petiot - NEW JERSEY - 4 x 475,000
Geoff Kinrade - NEW JERSEY - 1 x 475,000
JP Lamoureux - NEW JERSEY - 1 x 500,000
Zach McKelvie - NEW JERSEY - 1 x 500,000
Jordan Owens - NY RANGERS - 2 x 460,000
C Lalonde-McNicoll - DETROIT - 3 x 750,000
Matthew Pistilli - Signed in Phase One
Patrick Mullen - FLORIDA - 2 x 700,000
Alain Goulet - MONTREAL - 3 x 500,000
Denis Gauthier - Signed in Phase One
Curtis Joseph - PHOENIX - 2 x 500,000
Anders Eriksson - PHOENIX - 2 x 500,000

RFA

Teams have until Saturday, August 22, 2009, Midnight to Match the following offers signed by these players:

Brent Seabrook (PHI) - ST. LOUIS - 4 x 4,510,000 - Not matched in time - Compensation will be to PHI (1st & 3rd Round Pick)
Tim Gleason (PHI) - DETROIT - 4 x 3,700,000 - Not matched in time - Compensation will be paid to PHI (1st & 3rd Round Pick)
Brandon Bochenski (CAR) - DETROIT - 1 x 990,000 - Not matched - No compensation
Erik Christensen (LAK) - CAROLINA - 4 x 2,500,000 - Not matched - Compensation will be paid to LA (2nd Round Pick)
Rotislav Olesz (COL) - CAROLINA Offer has been nullified (lack of compensation) and the Hurricanes will be fined ($500,000 & 7th Round Pick in 2010)
Jeff Taffe (VAN) - CAROLINA - 1 x 990,000 - Matched

RFA _ Unsigned

Jason Pominville - Best Offer: ANAHEIM - 4 x 4,400,000
* Pominville did not sign the Anaheim offer sheet as it is still below his perceived market value.

* Roti Olesz did not receive any other 2nd Phase Offers and continues to be an RFA.

Leopold
Jordan Leopold (CAR) - Leopold was a UFA - and signed by Colorado.

OTHER BUSINESS

The following email offers were accidently missed and should have been included with the second ROUND of bidding in the FIRST PHASE -

RFA

Pierre-Marc Bouchard - 4 years x $3,950,000 - Re-Signs with the NYR

UFA

Cory Potter - NYR - 1 x 550,000
Chris Bourque - NYR - 2 x 580,000
Stefan Meyer - NYR - 1 x 525,000

Last edited:

Default101

What about the other players that were offered contracts? i know personally i had offers places on a few defencemen and a few goaltenders separate from the two forwards i offered contracts to?

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
What about the other players that were offered contracts? i know personally i had offers places on a few defencemen and a few goaltenders separate from the two forwards i offered contracts to?

Sorry, I just missed them in the post. Fixed now.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Ouch. Really? I can't imagine paying more for a player who has been that inconsistent... especially if it's costing me picks in compensation.

4.4 is 900K (20 percent) below what he makes in the NHL. His present NHL cap number is 5.3 million. Of course, now that we've passed through the NHL free agency all unsigned RFA's are now more likely to look at their respective teams (of which Pominville is of course owned by ANA) and are according to the rules more likely to accept a lower offer on a one year deal, but all thats speculation on my part because this is now between the player, his agent, and the GM's to negotiate. Whew.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
4.4 is 900K (20 percent) below what he makes in the NHL. His present NHL cap number is 5.3 million.

Double-ouch! Underscores the danger of singing a player to a new contract after one good year. Heaven spare me flash-in-the-pan successes - slow and steady improvement is the way!

Your explanation of the process makes good sense, just glad it's not my problem. (Although I'd gladly trade Zherdev for Pominville!).

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Double-ouch! Underscores the danger of singing a player to a new contract after one good year. Heaven spare me flash-in-the-pan successes - slow and steady improvement is the way!

Your explanation of the process makes good sense, just glad it's not my problem. (Although I'd gladly trade Zherdev for Pominville!).

My first reaction, you ask?

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :pullhair::pullhair::pullhair:

After all, two rounds of free agency and I was the high bidder in both rounds. On my own player. But the numbers Matt presented are on the money.

The sticky wicket with Pominville isn't just that he hit the lottery after an 80-point season. It's that his $5.3M cap hit in the NHL covers almost entirely UFA years. In the HFNHL, he's four years away from becoming a UFA. Big difference. It's around this point that I'm sure the Swingstein boys and I will be able to iron out our differences.

On a completely unrelated note - Drew, you're a bugger for scooping me on Maxim Noreau, who I tried to sign (a little too late) all the way back at the regular season trade deadline. ;)

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
The sticky wicket with Pominville isn't just that he hit the lottery after an 80-point season. It's that his $5.3M cap hit in the NHL covers almost entirely UFA years. In the HFNHL, he's four years away from becoming a UFA. Big difference. It's around this point that I'm sure the Swingstein boys and I will be able to iron out our differences.

I totally get it. It was a tough decision to reject and not one done without careful review and consideration. But in the end 20% was just too much on a 4 year deal. And knowing that the agents have been sticklers about getting contracts in the NHL range it would be unfair to have ignored that precedent.

I'm sure you'll end up with a better deal with the Swingsteins where you can negotiate and argue your point. I'm just glad I'm not a full time agent.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Gentleman,

The normal regular season free agent signing rules are now in effect. If you want to bid on a player then please forward your offers to your respective agents.

Here are the results of the second phase of free agency:

UFA's

Juraj Mikus - VANCOUVER - 2 x 750,000
Denis Gauthier - PHOENIX - 3 x 500,000

RFA

Teams have until Saturday, August 22, 2009, Midnight to Match the following offers signed by these players:

Erik Christensen (LAK) - CAROLINA - 4 x 2,500,000 (OFFER UNDER REVIEW)
Rotislav Olesz (COL) - CAROLINA - 4 x 3,000,000 (OFFER UNDER REVIEW)

Re-Signed RFA

Jordan Leopold (CAR) - CAROLINA - 1 x 1,750,000 (PENDING REVIEW)

4 things:

1) Juraj "The Forward" Mikus is my prospect. Drafted in 2005, 51st overall. Hands off!

2) Denis Gauthier was signed by Buffalo in the first phase of the FA's.

3) What does "offer under review" mean? Carolina has only 1 2nd round pick in 2010.

4) Leopold was a UFA and was signed in round one by Colorado to a 4 year deal at 1,5m per season.

Last edited:

Default101

4 things:

Since i had pick highest defenceman on the list and Gauthier turns out to be gone, would that mean i would get Anders Eriksson (not picked already checked all results) and was offered the same contract?

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Interesting tactical offer on Seabrook there Nick adding 10,000 in the bid. I offered $4.5M myself.

Last edited:

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Ville,

Check the Free agents list, Leopold is classified as a RFA. I have qualified him. I have the email to prove it. Therefore, I have the right to match if that is the case, which i wasn't given the opportunity to.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
4 things:

1) Juraj "The Forward" Mikus is my prospect. Drafted in 2005, 51st overall. Hands off!

3) What does "offer under review" mean? Carolina has only 1 2nd round pick in 2010.

4) Leopold was a UFA and was signed in round one by Colorado to a 4 year deal at 1,5m per season.

Thanks Ville.

1) Yes, he is a Col prospect.
2) Phoenix now signs Anders Eriksson as the 2nd player on his priority list.
3) The"under review" was because there was some debate about unclear intention in his email (were the players listed in a priority sequence but mislabeled?)
4) I believe that Leopold should have been, and was, an unrestricted free agent (he is 29) and not an RFA. However the league will continue to review in case he was mistakenly handled and look into Dion's claim that he received a valid acceptance of a qualifying offer.

Last edited:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Interesting tactical offer on Seabrook there Nick adding 10,000 in the bid. I offered $4.5M myself.

Yeah, I made that change at the very last second in thinking about some other like-minded GM who realized the idea of getting Seabrooke for a 1st and a 3rd was pretty darned good value (even if my 1st is Tampa's, which makes it a bit more of a risk perhaps). Good to know it was you I jumped ahead of :D

Might end up being moot either way, depending on how Philly see's things. Tampa's 1st might be just be too much for him to pass on...

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
The LA Kings will not match the offer to Erik Christensen:

Erik Christensen (LAK) - CAROLINA - 4 x 2,500,000

Why Carolina would give up a 2nd rounder and 10 million over 4 years for a 7-goal perimeter player is beyond me.

:clap:

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Canucks match Jeff Taffe, although not enthusiastically so. Have to admit I was hoping he'd stick as an RFA and head up to the prospects list for a bit until I see where he's playing this year.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
With the deadline passing what happened with Seabrook and Gleason? Did Philly really not respond in time? That would be a pretty big blow to lose both those guys! :amazed:

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Flyers

I thought my previous intention to match the offers was still in effect but I will restate that the Flyers match all offers, including the ones to Seabrook and Gleason.

BTW, I have had no time for any extra activities after our company's recent acquisition so I apologize on responding late to some of the trade requests that have come down the turnpike lately.

Claudio

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad