Value of: Frank Vatrano

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Checking box scores and I see that Vatrano is having himself a hell of a year for the Ducks and will likely flirt with 40 goals.

Also notice he's on a sweet heart deal (3.65) with another year remaining after this one.

Curious to hear from Duck fans where the org stands with him. He's 29 years old. Are you guys comfortable thinking he's a late bloomer goal scoring wing a la Verhaeghe and paying him as such to stick around or is it better to sell high on him if he's not part of the future?

Looking at the value Monahan got and the value being talked about for Guentzel, have to think teams would pay nicely to add that kind of production right now.

Is he available? If so, what is his value?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Checking box scores and I see that Vatrano is having himself a hell of a year for the Ducks and will likely flirt with 40 goals.

Also notice he's on a sweet heart deal (3.65) with another year remaining after this one.

Curious to hear from Duck fans where the org stands with him. He's 29 years old. Are you guys comfortable thinking he's a late bloomer goal scoring wing a la Verhaeghe and paying him as such to stick around or is it better to sell high on him if he's not part of the future?

Looking at the value Monahan got and the value being talked about for Guentzel, have to think teams would pay nicely to add that kind of production right now.

This has been a regular point of contention on HFDucks lately. I think it's a classic sell high situation, given where the team is at and Vatrano's age/contract/performance. There are some Ducks fans who have been quite vocal about how a team never improves if it keeps selling off performing players - I can't pretend there isn't some merit in that.

I'd say that for Anaheim to trade him now, they have to be pretty comfortable that the return is significantly greater than what he would fetch at next year's deadline as a rental.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

ANA needs Ws.
Not untouchable but requires overpay.
Maybe not massive, but real and prob significant.
No reason to move now.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Anahheim needs players... They don't want to end up like Buffalo or Ottawa. They really should start trying to win games so the loser attitude doesnt seep in. I'd only move him if its an overpayment. Just keep him going into next year, see how he does, and if hes still producing and wants to stay see if you can work out a deal. If not send him.

Hollel

Jun 15, 2019
As a ducks fan I have a hunch he stays. They have clearly been willing to bring in long term vets (he, gudas, killorn) to start the end of the rebuilding phase. He was also recently vocal about loving Anaheim and staying put. I think it makes perfect sense to keep him as they see how ready Gauthier is in a top 6 role, and how healthy guys like zegras can be. and if another extension isn’t in the cards he can be a rental trade next deadline.

As for value? I mean I’m assuming the ducks would want a 1st and good prospect they reallly like at a minumum, especially with his “playoff built style” and sweetheart cap hit

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
Anaheim will keep him. And I don't say that because I think they should. It's just that the Ducks don't make any trades at all.

It's coming up on 2 years since their last meaningful trade. In March 2022 they sold Kessler, Lindholm, and Rakell. Since then they've only made 2 deals, with just AHL players and future considerations. Seriously, only one trade in all of 2023.

Anaheim won't trade Vatrano, because the GM is asleep at the wheel and won't do anything.

Edit: That linked source was proven to be wrong immediately.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Anaheim will keep him. And I don't say that because I think they should. It's just that the Ducks don't make any trades at all.

It's coming up on 2 years since their last meaningful trade. In March 2022 they sold Kessler, Lindholm, and Rakell. Since then they've only made 2 deals, with just AHL players and future considerations. Seriously, only one trade in all of 2023.

Anaheim won't trade Vatrano, because the GM is asleep at the wheel and won't do anything.
Maybe he has the same nap schedule as Holland?
I would offer up 2025 1st,(unprotected) Xavier Bourgault, and Warren Foegele

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This is a player we know for a fact that Dubas tried to bring to Toronto, now he's not the GM anymore but most of his staff is still there.

I bet Treliving takes a run at him, and he should this team needs depth scoring,I 'm not saying it will be Toronto but I do think he gets dealt and for a fairly big price especially with that extra year.

I think they should trade him because he has that extra year and his value is at It's absolute Apex

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

did you forget the Drysdale trade we made, that was a pretty big trade for the franchise? and last year we didn't have much to actually move out besides Klingberg. and in 2023 he made 9 trades...

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY

Uhhh, does Drysdale/Gauthier ring any bells?

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
Uhhh, does Drysdale/Gauthier ring any bells?
did you forget the Drysdale trade we made, that was a pretty big trade for the franchise? and last year we didn't have much to actually move out besides Klingberg. and in 2023 he made 9 trades...

I'll admit, I was wrong. Apparently the first trade tracker I found on google was garbage. Sorry, I had a bad source, you're right. I'll be sure to just stick to capfriendly.

It's still a sad small number of impact moves for a team that needs to pick a direction.

Reactions: dracom and Rec T

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Anyway, I hope that the Ducks keep Frank around. He's quite productive (at least compared to the rest of the team), he seems to have very good chemistry with both his linemates and the rest of the team as a whole, he just seems to be one of those vets you want around to teach the new kids what they need to do to be successful. Those you hang on to. And even as a 'veteran', he's young enough to be productive while the young core figures things out & then make a serious run towards contention.

Maybe next year at the deadline if he's still doing really well and they can get some enticing pieces back (preferably with a handshake deal for him to come back over the summer - go take a run at The Cup somewhere & then come back knowing you helped out the team which should count for something with the new contract (Rico could even fall into this slot for this year, I wouldn't mind him back for another 4ish year contract - but it is a business & if he can cash in elsewhere...best of luck & thanks)).

Reactions: lwvs84

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
ANA needs Ws.
Not untouchable but requires overpay.
Maybe not massive, but real and prob significant.
No reason to move now.

Anahheim needs players... They don't want to end up like Buffalo or Ottawa. They really should start trying to win games so the loser attitude doesnt seep in. I'd only move him if its an overpayment. Just keep him going into next year, see how he does, and if hes still producing and wants to stay see if you can work out a deal. If not send him.
I agree with the sentiments that the Ducks have loaded up enough with young talent that the goal now should be to build around it with veterns and try to win. Seems they've been doing exactly that with Killorn and Gudas but what if Vatrano wants 6.5-7 million?

This is a player we know for a fact that Dubas tried to bring to Toronto, now he's not the GM anymore but most of his staff is still there.

I bet Treliving takes a run at him, and he should this team needs depth scoring,I 'm not saying it will be Toronto but I do think he gets dealt and for a fairly big price especially with that extra year.

I think they should trade him because he has that extra year and his value is at It's absolute Apex
We need to go for a Tanev or a Hanifin. Can't blow our assets on goal scoring wingers.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I agree with the sentiments that the Ducks have loaded up enough with young talent that the goal now should be to build around it with veterns and try to win. Seems they've been doing exactly that with Killorn and Gudas but what if Vatrano wants 6.5-7 million?
market will decide, also is he looking max $$$$ for max term
or
will he compromise, settle, take fewer yrs for max $$$ ?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

We need to go for a Tanev or a Hanifin. Can't blow our assets on goal scoring wingers.

We need scoring depth too.

As fun as it is to see Matthews, Marner and Nylander go off every night, and make no mistake It's great.

We need another guy and as well as he's played recently I'm not convinced Bobby Mcmann is that dude long term.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
It's still a sad small number of impact moves for a team that needs to pick a direction.
Yes & no.

They've sucked so badly for so long that they've managed to develop a nice pool of young guns who should hit the NHL/are already here as rookies figuring things out over the next couple of years. Bringing in impact players/trading assets for them when the team is 'nowhere' near ready to run would just be dumb/a bad allocation of assets.

So, PV's actions/or lack thereof prior to this calendar year are understandable/justified. Now if he's not busy this trade deadline/offseason, then yes, there is potentially something really rotten in the state of Denmar...er...Anaheim.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Edit: That linked source was proven to be wrong immediately.

I see the edit to where you mention the link is wrong, but this take is way off in its entirety.

They traded essentially all of their players on expiring deals last year. They didn't have any major pieces to trade off because Verbeek did so the year prior (Lindholm, Manson, Rakell). Verbeek has also made a pretty big foundational trade in the Drysdale deal. I don't love all of Verbeek's moves, but he is definitely not "asleep at the wheel".

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I'll admit, I was wrong. Apparently the first trade tracker I found on google was garbage. Sorry, I had a bad source, you're right. I'll be sure to just stick to capfriendly.

Please enlighten us on how Verbeek didn't pick a direction. He tore the team down to where we finished last in the league last year. He sold off every veteran we had that could be dealt. We finished last in the league last year and destined for a bottom 5 finish again. It's pretty clear he wanted to start a clear rebuild. The one who lacked direction was Bob Murray.

Oct 18, 2011
My opinion

They should trade him.

Career year
Great contract
Can fit anywhere in the lineup
Playoff teams get 2 runs with him cheap

Problem is his next contract, he's gonna want alot and Anaheim has to pay McTavish, Carlsson, and Mintyukov over the next few seasons and they could maximize return for him now

Reactions: Rasp

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Oilers 2nd and Bourgault
Unless you also have pictures of PV doing obscene things with farm animals, I can't see him doing anything but laughing and hanging up... That's just bad, especially when compared to the other offer upthread for Bourgault, unprotected 1st, 'and' Foegele.

My opinion

They should trade him.

Career year
Great contract
Can fit anywhere in the lineup
Playoff teams get 2 runs with him cheap

Problem is his next contract, he's gonna want alot and Anaheim has to pay McTavish, Carlsson, and Mintyukov over the next few seasons and they could maximize return for him now
'If' they're going to trade him, I'd rather that they do it next year. Yeah it's a roll of the dice that he won't produce near as much...but the Ducks need his production for at least the next year/next TDL. Also by then they should have a much better idea what he wants/what he's worth for his next contract. And, if he does fit into their long term plans, he may be willing to take a little less AAV for a bit longer term to be able to get the others paid too (with the unspoken understanding that if he falls off a cliff in a few years he'd be bought out/sent to Robidias Island).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad