Frank Corrado

leafsrule123

Apr 28, 2010
Castleton
I forgot about this kid, anyone know why the Leafs haven't had him in a single game to see what he's got? I mean I know he played a couple games for the Marlies on a conditioning stint but that was 2 months back it seems. I can't see him not playing at all being good for his development, Jim Benning waived him because he said he wanted him to play for his development

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
waiving him likely means we lose him. They don't think he's a better option then Polak I guess so he doesn't play. He's a RHD so he won't replace Marincin.

I mean it could be better for his development if we waived him but he would probably be claimed so that doesn't help us any so it probably won't happen.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
waiving him likely means we lose him. They don't think he's a better option then Polak I guess so he doesn't play. He's a RHD so he won't replace Marincin.

I mean it could be better for his development if we waived him but he would probably be claimed so that doesn't help us any so it probably won't happen.

If we waive him and no one claims he goes back to Vancouver anyways... right?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If we waive him and no one claims he goes back to Vancouver anyways... right?

no he would go to the Marlies. The only way he could go back to Vancouver is if we waived him and they were the only team to claim him and the waive was within 30 days of when we claimed him(which has passed).

If we waive him, if Vancouver wants him they have to claim him and then keep him in Vancouver.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
no he would go to the Marlies. The only way he could go back to Vancouver is if we waived him and they were the only team to claim him and the waive was within 30 days of when we claimed him(which has passed).

If we waive him, if Vancouver wants him they have to claim him and then keep him in Vancouver.

Gotcha, didnt know about a 30 day rule. Funny the player doesn't even have to play a game!

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

That's incorrect.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That's incorrect.

prove it.

I was actually wrong initially, if we waive him and Vancouver is the only club that claims him they can then put him in the AHL for up to 30 days after that, not 30 days after when they initially waived him. But only if they're the only claiming club of the other 29 teams.

Here's a CBA exert that another poster posted when it was discussed regarding Corrado in the trade thread

When a Club claims a Player on Regular or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently, in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled
to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative) and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful claim.

So basically this says if Vancouver claims Corrado on waivers in the same season they waived him, and they're the only club to place a claim they can send him to the AHL within 30 days of the time that they claimed Corrado(or 10 games)

so we're sort of both right, you're right that they can send him to the AHL if they claim him, but I'm right on the fact they can only do this is they're the only team to place a claim, if any team ahead of them in the standings places a claim but none behind them the Vancouver gets him but can't send him down.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
The way I see it is that he has not proven himself in practice to be more then the #7 or #8 dman. The TML are now playing guys based on merit and he has not shown to be worthy of playing yet.

If we waive him they think he will be claimed and we don't want to lose him. At some point injuries are bound to happen (knock wood) and he will then be in place to step onto the roster.

I'm sure that once he shows that he is one of the top 6 dmen he will play.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
prove it.

I was actually wrong initially, if we waive him and Vancouver is the only club that claims him they can then put him in the AHL for up to 30 days after that, not 30 days after when they initially waived him. But only if they're the only claiming club of the other 29 teams.

Here's a CBA exert that another poster posted when it was discussed regarding Corrado in the trade thread

So basically this says if Vancouver claims Corrado on waivers in the same season they waived him, and they're the only club to place a claim they can send him to the AHL within 30 days of the time that they claimed Corrado(or 10 games)

so we're sort of both right, you're right that they can send him to the AHL if they claim him, but I'm right on the fact they can only do this is they're the only team to place a claim, if any team ahead of them in the standings places a claim but none behind them the Vancouver gets him but can't send him down.

I just answered the original question, if "no one claims" him, then Vancouver would have the right to claim him & send him down. I just didn't bother getting into the further details.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=110252193#4

If they don't send him down for the 30 day, 10 games. They can still send him down again, but the whole waiver process starts over again.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
if no one claims him he goes to the Marlies so your answer there is incorrect.

Vancouver would have to claim him, and they would have to claim him not knowing whether someone else would or not. And then if someone else does then Vancouver has to waive him again to send him to the minors, at which point either Toronto, or that other claiming team claims him again.

It's not a "hey Vancouver, nobody claimed him you can send him to Utica", it's a "hey Vancouver, you put in a claim, good news, nobody else did you can send him to Utica"

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
if no one claims him he goes to the Marlies so your answer there is incorrect.

Vancouver would have to claim him, and they would have to claim him not knowing whether someone else would or not. And then if someone else does then Vancouver has to waive him again to send him to the minors, at which point either Toronto, or that other claiming team claims him again.

It's not a "hey Vancouver, nobody claimed him you can send him to Utica", it's a "hey Vancouver, you put in a claim, good news, nobody else did you can send him to Utica"

Your just being silly now. Your original answer was completely inaccurate. If Leafs try to waive him Vancouver would automatically put in a claim unless they have zero interest in him or no contract space. To think otherwise is idiotic. Next time I'll make sure I add "if they want to claim him".

Being wrong is okay, don't be afraid to be wrong, you can learn from mistakes. Now you know how waivers work a little bit better.

BTW, your quote,

And then if someone else does then Vancouver has to waive him again to send him to the minors, at which point either Toronto, or that other claiming team claims him again.

Is incorrect.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I admitted I was wrong in my post, don't act all high and mighty here :shakehead

Vancouver will claim him in hopes nobody else does so they can send him to the AHL, if you would have said that I wouldn't have said anything, you said if nobody claims him, which the last time I checked includes Vancouver not claiming him.

as for the last part how is that not right? If Vancouver and say Montreal puts in a claim, Vancouver gets him but can't send him straight to the AHL because Montreal put in a claim as well, therefore if they want to send him down they have to waive him again, at which point anyone including Montreal or Toronto could put a claim in.

Or do they just have to offer him to the Habs only? and then either the Habs take him or he goes to Utica?

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Ya it's pretty well assumed that Vancouver would put in a claim automatically. Simply for the chance to send him back down.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I forgot about this kid, anyone know why the Leafs haven't had him in a single game to see what he's got? I mean I know he played a couple games for the Marlies on a conditioning stint but that was 2 months back it seems. I can't see him not playing at all being good for his development, Jim Benning waived him because he said he wanted him to play for his development

http://www.tsn.ca/babcock-management-divide-leaves-corrado-in-limbo-1.396608

"A disconnect between Babcock and team management seems like the most plausible explanation for Corrado’s state of limbo."

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
There's a movement to vote this guy into the All-Star game so he finally get's some playing time. :laugh:

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
There's a movement to vote this guy into the All-Star game so he finally get's some playing time. :laugh:

That's genius.

If I were coach, I'd sit down one of Rielly or Polak and get Corrado some TOI. Even Gardiner and Hunwick's play has dipped. Of all players, Marincin shouldn't be sat--Babcock praised him Saturday saying he had his best game... and I think if he adds some more sandpaper to his game, he can make Polak even more expendable.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
It's unfortunate for him but I think management was expecting an injury by now so he could slot in for a few or for someone on the right side to get sat.

Our D on the right side have been: Phaneuf (not getting sat), Hunwick(has been good up until recently, Babcock loves him) and Polak ( I think they were expecting him to be sit by now but he's been pretty steady and haven't given them a reason to sit him)

But it's the NHL, injuries happen, he'll get in eventually.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
It's unfortunate for him but I think management was expecting an injury by now so he could slot in for a few or for someone on the right side to get sat.

Our D on the right side have been: Phaneuf (not getting sat), Hunwick(has been good up until recently, Babcock loves him) and Polak ( I think they were expecting him to be sit by now but he's been pretty steady and haven't given them a reason to sit him)

But it's the NHL, injuries happen, he'll get in eventually.

Yes, agreed, I think it is mostly this.

Also, if and when he gets in, if he plays hard (even if he makes the expected mistakes), but, keeps playing hard, MB won't want to take him out; it's really MB MO. For all Marincin's warts and all, he plays hard and he's doing what he has been asked to do and learning - yes, making mistakes is necessary but he's a HUGE dman with potential who played a couple of seasons with the Oilers in a pretty much non-existent defensive system, so, yes, he's going to make mistakes. MB really has a lot of trust and loyalty to his players and doesn't like taking players in and out of the line-up unless he has to.
If Corrado gets in and works hard - WHEN HE GETS HIS CHANCE - he will be treated fairly by MB.

In the meantime, he's just got to be patient and know he'll get his chance; not that players care about the money (???lol) but figure out how much money he's made in the NHL while practicing with the team and waiting for his chance compared to what he would of made if he was down in the AHL for the same period of time. Without looking up his salary, my guess is that he's already made as much as he would for the entire year in the AHL; could be wrong, but, that's my guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad