France may host 2030 Winter Olympics. Probable return to SLC in 2034

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

France named preferred host for 2030. SLC also considered for 2030 but thought more time might benefit.

2026 Italy (Feb 6-22).
Honestly, need to stop trying to get some many different countries to host. Just pick 4 sites for each and go back there every 20 years. No issues if SLC goes again after 28 years.

Costs too much to build new everything. In the millennium, Greece, Brazil, Sochi, what is still standing from those ones?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Honestly, need to stop trying to get some many different countries to host. Just pick 4 sites for each and go back there every 20 years. No issues if SLC goes again after 28 years.

Costs too much to build new everything. In the millennium, Greece, Brazil, Sochi, what is still standing from those ones?

I worked the Sochi Olympics in the athletes village and went back there a few years ago and only the Ice arena is used by the KHL team that got put there because of the games. Greece nearly went bankrupt because they thought there would be a huge upswing in tourism---not realizing Greece was already on the list of places people wanted to go

Reactions: Rob

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
France did a poor job of the World Championship a few years back because they held the games in Paris which is not a hockey town compared to where it is a hot bed mainly east. I wonder how this will go.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
I was a bit surprised that French Alps got 2030’s top slot over Switzerland and Sweden

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Last thing SLC needs is another Olympics...the environment can barely sustain the exisiting population (water, receding great salt lake). Another influx of development and population from the post olympic fallout is untenable

joelef

Nov 22, 2011

They need to not award places that don’t at least 80 percent of venues in place and use as many temporary venues as it can.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
SLC won't be limited to venues just in the nearby area, as a cost savings move; perhaps some (indoor?) events might be in Denver and Las Vegas.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Odd that the 2026 games are in Italy and the 2030 would in France; just the other side of the same mountain range.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Odd that the 2026 games are in Italy and the 2030 would in France; just the other side of the same mountain range.
They don’t like doing that but a lot of Olympic hosting has gone from being ‘who wants to do it’ to ‘who is willing to do it’

Reactions: Voight

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
According to local news outlet Nice Matin, the city council is looking to have the men's hockey tournament in a temporary facility within the Allianz Riviera, a soccer stadium where Ligue 1 side OGC Nice plays, instead of getting a brand new multipurpose arena built.

I actually love how the newspaper is more worried about how the soccer team will be impacted than not seeing built a needed facility for the rest of the local sports scene at large despite knowing state subsidies would be available for it for the occasion.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
For Olympic hockey that would be a terrible solution, but obviously for the hosts that's not a competition they care about. Any of the preexisting hockey venues in the region would be better despite a smaller capacity.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I'd be concerned with an "outdoor" venue that would have no rain/weather protection nor humidity control. And as there are 4+ games/day that means that there would be concerns about the sun on the ice.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
The "arena" would be covered and seating 15,500 people, using one end of the stadium.
For Olympic hockey that would be a terrible solution, but obviously for the hosts that's not a competition they care about. Any of the preexisting hockey venues in the region would be better despite a smaller capacity.
The smaller permanent rink for the women's tournament would still supposedly be built and would replace the small aging fifth-floor one, located in a multistorey sport facility on prime real estate and currently used by the Aigles de Nice in Ligue Magnus, once the Games are over (I read somewhere it would be used as a training facility during the event).

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Well, hold it!

Now they are talking about having two rinks in the stadium. One for the men's and one for the women's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad