Four years later: the Roy Olympic snub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
What is your thoughts on remembering Patrick Roy's snub for the '02 Olympic team. We all remember his "reasons" he gave for not going to the Olympics, he wanted to rest up for the playoffs and he wanted to see his son play in a peewee Hockey tourny in Quebec. By the way in the playoffs Roy had one of the worst Game 7s ever by a goalie against Detroit in a 7-0 shellacking. So there goes THAT theory!

My opinion on this was similar to everyone else's. Roy wasnt among the first 8 original selections. But no one in their right mind didnt have him on the 23 selections. It most likely would have been Roy, Brodeur and Joseph. My thoughts are that Roy wasnt guaranteed the #1 goalie spot at the time, nor should he have since Brodeur was just as good at the time. This of course hurt his BIG ego, but what Roy didnt think about was that since he was arguably the best goalie in the world he would have at least had the chance to earn his #1 spot in that first game against the Swedes.

Also I remember when the first part of that team was announced, a name that was missing was Al MacInnis. He wasnt part of the original 8 named, namely because of an eye injury at the time, but no one ever thought he wouldnt be on the team. Even Gretzky said at that press conference: "Al MacInnis fans need not worry!" I remember that quote. So if MacInnis was a lock wouldnt Roy have been. And you didnt see MacInnis sulk and then withdraw his name in November of 2001 just in case he wasnt named. Maybe Roy should have thought about that. Well we did fine without him thats what I say.

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
Well first things first, Patrick Roy was by no means my favorite player EVER, but he was a DAMN good goalie. The best goalie to ever play in the NHL actually. He played in the Olympics in 1998, maybe he didnt enjoy it? They didn't win a medal I know, but the guy has a family. If I never was given the opprotunity to see my son play hockey, and I knew that my company (NHL) was giving 90% of there players a 2 week holiday in the middle of the season, I would jump on that opprotunity as well! Family first, any player will tell you that. Secondly, he has accomplished so much already and he was getting old. He needed the rest to try and make one more cup run. That is just all my opinion.

wildone26*

Roy had an enormous ego, there is no doubt. Was he the best goalie in the World at the time? Well Hasek had won 6 of the last 8 Vezinas, and was the dominant goalie of the 98 Olympics, so that is highly questionable at best. He was pretty clearly established as the best goalie in Canada at the time though, even though Brodeur, Joseph, Burke, Luongo, and that year Theodore, were also excellent. He was never in jeapordy of not making the team, or even being the #1 goalie, and how he handled the whole thing really revealed his huge ego IMO. Great goalie, probably the best Stanley Cup playoffs goalie ever, but never liked his personality or sportsmanship at all.

Burnaby_Joe*

Roy was the best Canadian goalie at that time. I wish he would have went, but we still won. :handclap:

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
It most likely would have been Roy, Brodeur and Joseph. My thoughts are that Roy wasnt guaranteed the #1 goalie spot at the time, nor should he have since Brodeur was just as good at the time.

At the start of the 2001/2002 season, Brodeur was having one of his worst years in recent memory. It would have been between Joseph and Roy for the #1, had he been selected.

Namso

Aug 25, 2005
roy isnt the first player to opt out the olympics, but just because he did, its because of his ego and because he wasn't one of the top 8. Stop spreading ur fallacies please.

Remember, when a lot of ppl questioned Lemieux, after he sucked against sweden and had to skip the germany game? well lemieux and roy are the EXACT same age to the day. Maybe Roy thought his body couldn't take it, especially since he wanted to win another stanley cup and to most canadians, stanley cup>>>gold medal ring.

Heck, why don't we say the same thing to kiprusoff or all the other players who don't go?

Maybe it was because of his ego, maybe it wasnt. We have no idea, and i think after all that Roy has done for hockey he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Ogopogo*

IBleedOil247 said:
Well first things first, Patrick Roy was by no means my favorite player EVER, but he was a DAMN good goalie. The best goalie to ever play in the NHL actually. .

Actually, we wasn't even the best goalie of his time. He was excellent but there are others that were better.

joe_shannon_1983*

Garbs said:
At the start of the 2001/2002 season, Brodeur was having one of his worst years in recent memory.

Not only was Brodeur having a bad year, Roy beat Brodeur in the 2001 Stanley Cup Finals the year before.

At the time of the 2002 Olympics, Roy was the goaltender on the defending Stanley Cup Champions.

He wasn't guaranteed the #1 position, and that is why he pulled out of the Olympics. He didn't want to have to compete for the #1 job.

Saying that, he would have most certainly gotten the first crack at winning the #1 job in the first game against Sweden, and would have kept the #1 job if he managed to play well against Sweden.

The problem was that he couldn't be 100% guaranteed that #1 job throughout the whole tournament.

wildone26*

Ogopogo said:
Actually, we wasn't even the best goalie of his time. He was excellent but there are others that were better.

I agree in a way, I think Hasek at his best was the better goalie personally, but on the other hand nobody of Roy's time, perhaps of all time, was better in crunch time in the playoffs, his embarassing game 7 vs Detroit and Hasek in the 01-02 season notwithstanding. Both Hasek and Roy were unbelievable in the Canada-Czech semifinal game in 1998, it would be hard to blame either for losing.

joe_shannon_1983*

Ogopogo said:

The only goaltender in Roy's era that competes with Roy is Hasek.

But then again, you quoted someone who claimed Roy was the best of all-time, and Hasek too is worthy of consideration as the greatest of all-time.

They are both top 5 all-time, that is for sure.

wildone26*

I so wish I had gotten to see Terry Sawchuk some way, even if on video tape. I have been told by many of my older friends or family members who have seen him that he was unbelievable, like something they had never seen before. Obviously his career stats speak for themselves as well.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Didn't he not go because he wasn't pre-named to the team? If thats the case then I'm glad he didn't go.. what a suck that guy was sometimes

Sammy*

Namso said:
roy isnt the first player to opt out the olympics, but just because he did, its because of his ego and because he wasn't one of the top 8. Stop spreading ur fallacies please.
How do you know its a fallaccy? It was widely reported at the time that was one of the key reasons
Remember, when a lot of ppl questioned Lemieux, after he sucked against sweden and had to skip the germany game? well lemieux and roy are the EXACT same age to the day. Maybe Roy thought his body couldn't take it, especially since he wanted to win another stanley cup and to most canadians, stanley cup>>>gold medal ring.
Maybe, but total speculation, & imo,to most Canadians, Olys are >>>>>>Stanley Cup. For a Stanley Cup, you have 1 city, Olys are a whole country whose behind you.Ask who cares more, the country of Italy in the World Cup or Milan in the Euro Championship.

Heck, why don't we say the same thing to kiprusoff or all the other players who don't go?
We do.

Maybe it was because of his ego, maybe it wasnt. We have no idea, and i think after all that Roy has done for hockey he deserves the benefit of the doubt.
What all has Roy done for hockey?

Well?

Last edited by a moderator:

joe_shannon_1983*

Siberian said:
There are might be other reasons for refusing to play in Olympics - drugs.

You are saying that Roy was doped up on performance enhancers?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Namso said:

Hey look I'm not Finnish, but I'd be equally as pissed at Kipprusoff as well. He has a little bit more of an excuse though with his groin. But can you honestly tell me it wasnt Roy's ego? This was just before the team was to be mentioned, he was on the team for sure no doubt. And even if he is the greatest goalie of all-time to some, I still wouldnt give him the benefit of the doubt. Hey there's a differene when your injured or not playing up to par like Yzerman or Lemieux, that's apples and oranges, but Roy was the best goalie in the game and was perfectly healthy. You tell me your theory then!

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
The bottom line is he wasn't named number one and told he probably wasn't going to be number one. Gretzky wanted Brodeur as the starter, Quinn wanted Cujo. Cujo shat the bed in game one and Gretzky got his wish. In Olympic hockey the goalie needs to be able to handle the puck. For those who don't remember, there has never been a worse puck handling goalie than Patrick Roy. Every time he left his net he created scoring chances for the other team. His ego got in the way because he refused to ride the pine and Gretzky let him make up his excuses.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
guzzy said:
The bottom line is he wasn't named number one and told he probably wasn't going to be number one. Gretzky wanted Brodeur as the starter, Quinn wanted Cujo. Cujo shat the bed in game one and Gretzky got his wish. In Olympic hockey the goalie needs to be able to handle the puck. For those who don't remember, there has never been a worse puck handling goalie than Patrick Roy. Every time he left his net he created scoring chances for the other team. His ego got in the way because he refused to ride the pine and Gretzky let him make up his excuses.
For the stickhandling part:

Im sure Irbe would have something to say to that :sarcasm:.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
guzzy said:
Or Mike Richter. :sarcasm:

Roy didn't "create a scoring opportunity everytime he left the net." He'd have a spectacular mishandle every few games. I don't see how that hurt him in the 98 shootout either.

Roy has the right to be insulted that Quinn wanted CuJo ahead of him.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Hasbro said:
Or Mike Richter. :sarcasm:

Roy didn't "create a scoring opportunity everytime he left the net." He'd have a spectacular mishandle every few games. I don't see how that hurt him in the 98 shootout either.

Roy has the right to be insulted that Quinn wanted CuJo ahead of him.

Of course he does. Roy was a spectacular goalie. At that point in his career was he better than Cujo or Brodeur? I don't think so. They were all pretty equal. The difference was puck handling capability. Everyone said, coming up to the games, that you need a sixth player on the big ice, which Canada got in Brodeur. I was glad ROy wasn't there. I never liked him.

joe_shannon_1983*

guzzy said:
Of course he does. Roy was a spectacular goalie. At that point in his career was he better than Cujo or Brodeur? I don't think so. They were all pretty equal. The difference was puck handling capability. Everyone said, coming up to the games, that you need a sixth player on the big ice, which Canada got in Brodeur. I was glad ROy wasn't there. I never liked him.

I think Roy was a better goaltender than both Brodeur and Joseph at that point in time.

In 2002, Roy was having a far better year than both Brodeur and Joseph (2002 was perhaps Roy's best season, in terms of statistics; only Theodore's unbelievable season prevented Roy from winning the Vezina Trophy in 2002, however Roy was still the First-Team All-Star in 2002).

Plus, Roy had won the Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe the year before, when he badly outplayed Brodeur in the Finals.

illogic

Apr 12, 2005
Sammy said:
to most Canadians, Olys are >>>>>>Stanley Cup. [/QUOTE]

Most kids playing hockey dream about winning the Stanley Cup, not winning Olympic gold.

Namso

Aug 25, 2005
Sammy said:
You're questioning how i know whether it was a fallacy or not? let me see...ROY SAID IT HIMSELF. Now you can make up ur own reasons why he didn't go to further ur hatred of him but the bottom line is that YOU HAVE TO BRING THE PROOF, not me. until then, what u say is a fallacy...btw roy isn't stupid...every paper from here to russia had him as the n.1 goalie, however roy wanted a cup more, and he made a personal decision...

What has roy done for hockey??? how about popularize the butterfly??? how about inspire hundreds of quebecer goalies including brodeur, theodore, giguere etc..??? how about carry all of Montreal on to TWO miracle stanley cups??? how about having the most wins ever??? how about all the awards???

Roy has done just as much for the goalie position as Mario Lemieux did for the forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad