Four new element names announced

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
http://iupac.org/elements.html

Following earlier reports that the claims for discovery of these elements have been fulfilled [1, 2], the discoverers have been invited to propose names and the following are now disclosed for public review:

Nihonium and symbol Nh, for the element 113,
Moscovium and symbol Mc, for the element 115,
Tennessine and symbol Ts, for the element 117, and
Oganesson and symbol Og, for the element 118.

The IUPAC Inorganic Chemistry Division has reviewed and considered these proposals and recommends these for acceptance

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Tennessine just sounds so out of place with all the other higher elements. Tennessium would better fit the naming mold up there.

But, pretty minor complaint.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
These elements are good for.......not very much. They've probably only made enough of each that you could count on your hands.

They are on the road to a theoretical "Island of Stability" though. Key word being theoretical as they need to develop new isotopes just to smash together.

member 51464

I am ignorant. Tell me of this Island of Stability concept.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
The Island of Stability is a region of predicted more-stable nuclei. Instead of the typical millisecond or less half life were talking minutes or days. This is plenty of time to do chemistry with and test theories.

It requires a specific number of protons and neutrons, though. Element 120 may be one as may 126. For whatever reason, excluding hydrogen, the most stable isotopes (longest half life) have EVEN protons and EVEN neutrons. While the number of protons is pretty straight forward to define an atom as an element, there can be numerous variations of that element due to the number of neutrons so it would still be very difficult to create one in an accelerator.

In fact, I wouldn't be too shocked if the next isotope they make is a version of element 120 due to this inherent stability and then 119. If you think about it, 114 and 116 were named years ago yet 113 and 115 were just named.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Technically my post was nuclear physics :sarcasm:

But indeed I am and I teach it.

Thankfully we are adding nuclear chemistry to the curriculum.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Oganesson just seems...out of place.

And yes, I know it gets the -on for being a noble gas, but still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad