Forward depth=Pathetic

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
You know what's absolutely pathetic..... How many god damn years has this team had a nucleus of Simmonds, G, Voracek and Couts at forward. How many years and the team has not been able to develop, trade or sign anyone that can help these 4 players.... In fact were so inept that we traded the only other guy that actually did anything in the past 3 years for basically a bag of pucks with a huge salary and 2 late first round picks. If that isn't an indictment on how poor a job this management group has done that I don't know what is

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Makes you wonder why he didn't play like that here. Coaching.
Hilariously enough Schenn was one of the players who openly criticized Hak's system in the second half of the year. He complained about how basic it was and that shooting from the point constantly wasn't doing enough to generate chances. When he and Couturier turned it on down the stretch, you could tell there was an effort to really attack the dangerous areas.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Schenn’s line in St. Louis just attacks. His ES goal tonight was Schwartz forcing an offensive zone turnover & setting Schenn up streaking down into that high danger area in front of the net.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Hilariously enough Schenn was one of the players who openly criticized Hak's system in the second half of the year. He complained about how basic it was and that shooting from the point constantly wasn't doing enough to generate chances. When he and Couturier turned it on down the stretch, you could tell there was an effort to really attack the dangerous areas.

It is seriously hilarious considering the amount of jokes about Schenn's head being made out of cement - yet he was the one to actually point out important flaws of the "system"

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
It is pretty ridiculous...

here are their current point paces and their paces the last 2 combined seasons... and the difference in current pace vs that:

Simmonds: 47 pts (57 pts) -10
Filppula: 43 pts (39 pts) +4
Konecny: 31 pts (33 pts) -2
Weal: 27pts (27 pts) +0
Laughton: 20 pts (24 pts) -4
Weise: 14 pts (26 pts) -12
Lehtera: 12 pts (32 pts) -20
Raffl: 0 pts (26 pts) -26

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Somehow the system isn't flawed when the first line is on the ice.
Maybe it's the talent?

Weal - Filppula - Simmonds finished last year strong but have been MIA.
Patrick and Konency have started slow, more understandable with Patrick.
Leier - Laughton - Raffl have zero offensive skills (well, Laughton can shoot).

But I can't really blame Hextall, he was just trying to patch his way until the young forwards were ready.

He's looking at 2018-19:
G - C - V
Lindblom - Patrick - Konency
Martel/Weal - Vorobyev - Simmonds/trade
Laughton - MV - NAK/Leier

and 2019-20:
G - C - V
Rubtsov - Vorobyev - Allison
Laughton - MV - Bunnaman/NAK

Now you're the GM, what deal do you make to shore up this year's team that won't cost you serious assets or block young players the next two years?
Maybe package Hagg and a 2nd rd pick for a young third line forward who can give you 20 goals a year?

Reactions: JXC

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Somehow the system isn't flawed when the first line is on the ice.
Maybe it's the talent?

Weal - Filppula - Simmonds finished last year strong but have been MIA.
Patrick and Konency have started slow, more understandable with Patrick.
Leier - Laughton - Raffl have zero offensive skills (well, Laughton can shoot).

But I can't really blame Hextall, he was just trying to patch his way until the young forwards were ready.

He's looking at 2018-19:
G - C - V
Martel/Weal - Vorobyev - Simmonds/trade
Laughton - MV - NAK/Leier

and 2019-20:
G - C - V
Rubtsov - Vorobyev - Allison
Laughton - MV - Bunnaman/NAK

Now you're the GM, what deal do you make to shore up this year's team that won't cost you serious assets or block young players the next two years?
Maybe package Hagg and a 2nd rd pick for a young third line forward who can give you 20 goals a year?

A system that only works with top-notch talent seems like a bad system.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
You know what's absolutely pathetic..... How many god damn years has this team had a nucleus of Simmonds, G, Voracek and Couts at forward. How many years and the team has not been able to develop, trade or sign anyone that can help these 4 players.... In fact were so inept that we traded the only other guy that actually did anything in the past 3 years for basically a bag of pucks with a huge salary and 2 late first round picks. If that isn't an indictment on how poor a job this management group has done that I don't know what is
Spot on dude.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
It is pretty ridiculous...

here are their current point paces and their paces the last 2 combined seasons... and the difference in current pace vs that:

Simmonds: 47 pts (57 pts) -10
Filppula: 43 pts (39 pts) +4
Konecny: 31 pts (33 pts) -2
Weal: 27pts (27 pts) +0
Laughton: 20 pts (24 pts) -4
Weise: 14 pts (26 pts) -12
Lehtera: 12 pts (32 pts) -20
Raffl: 0 pts (26 pts) -26

if that doesn't scream the system is flawed then i don't know what does. only reason Hakstol hasn't been fired already is Hextall's pride. i guess he's hoping by some miracle they'll turn it around so he won't have to admit what a massive mistake it was in hiring Hakstol in the first place.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hakstols system is an abhorrent failure. The top line just has too much skill let it stop them.

Something that bothered me last year was that we lacked the wing and D talent to force in from the perimeter, which his system naturally prefers as a means of involving the D. If you don't have the talent to make it work at this level, why f***ing do it?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Something that bothered me last year was that we lacked the wing and D talent to force in from the perimeter, which his system naturally prefers as a means of involving the D. If you don't have the talent to make it work at this level, why ****ing do it?

He's a saltine mannequin - he doesn't know what the **** he is doing. He is so far out of his depth, it's ridiculous.

Reactions: Rebels57

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
this team has been changing coaches every 2 to 3 years, at some point when is the responsibility going to fall on the gm? i mean it's the same problems over and over again and every gm we bring in is a former flyer and not gm from the outside that knows how to build a championship team. major changes have to start from the top, until that happens, it's going to be the same dance every year, no playoffs, no cups.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I'm still pretty new here, and I'm not familiar with some of the techniques that make a successful offensive drive, but what I see the offensive lines doing too often is dropping blind passes which are instantly turn-overs of puck possession. Why are they doing so many drop passes?
I think the opposing coaching staffs know this trait, so the other teams looks patient when playing the Flyers, because they expect the turn over opportunities will be presented. When will the coaching staff discipline this team away from such a lethal move on the ice.
Brian Elliott has kept them in most of his games. It's time for the rest of the team to pay him back by pumping in more goals and giving him a cushion.
I have also noticed a lack of emotion from the entire team. When will they find some passion again?

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
In football (Americans refer to it as soccer), I can remember my coach (when I played years ago),telling my team not to kick at the goalie but to kick at the net behind him.
I see the Flyers amassing a ton of shots on goal recently, with very few goals. In hockey terms they're called low percentage shots, therefore this is a low percentage offence.
It's time for Hextall to correct what's wrong. Outside of the top line there are very few top quality players there, so far.
The defence is very young, but some of them look promising.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad