Fort Wayne Komets

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Be warned, they're usually the first team we make fun of because their local beat writer whines about having no control over the roster and pines for the good old days of winning titles with no competition.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
They were all on ITB lol. I honestly forget about them now. Now that they aren't running the league they are in they are just like everybody else.

I wonder if that yahoo Justin A. Kohn is still around lol

ac9er

Jan 9, 2015
Be warned, they're usually the first team we make fun of because their local beat writer whines about having no control over the roster and pines for the good old days of winning titles with no competition.

I can expect that. I figure the transition will take much longer than in the previous leagues. As long as they keep rivalries and make new ones, I think they'll be fine.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
They were all on ITB lol. I honestly forget about them now. Now that they aren't running the league they are in they are just like everybody else.

Ah yes! ITB. That forum eventually went the way of the IHL2, and disappeared completely. ITB was also full of Mallards superfans who were dismayed that the Quad Cities was no longer the epicenter of minor league hockey. Komets and Mallards superfans would frequently spar over which city was the better hockey town. It was a joke.

I laughed when "Joe" finally decided to pull the plug on ITB.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
ITB was a lot o' fun. There seemed to be a thread every weekend about someone disrespecting another team or group of fans and looking for a fight either in the Midwest with Rockford/QC/Ft Wayne, or out west with San Diego, Bakersfield, and Stockton.

And that one QC fan who always posted "Congrats on your win" in every GDT thread. LOL.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Komets were ridiculously superior to the Cyclones last night. The 4-1 final made it look closer than it was. Cyclones could be outside the playoffs for a second straight season.

3318 announced crowd-I actually thought it was closer to 4000. Cyclones do $1 beer night on Wednesdays (12oz cans of PBR or Miller) and it draws a ton of 20 and 30 somethings. It's basically a $15 cover charge for the right to buy beer for a buck and, oh, there's a hockey game going on as well. LOL. The Cyclones are owned by the same group which owns the arena, so they can do the $1 beer pricing.

Last edited:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Ah yes! ITB. That forum eventually went the way of the IHL2, and disappeared completely. ITB was also full of Mallards superfans who were dismayed that the Quad Cities was no longer the epicenter of minor league hockey. Komets and Mallards superfans would frequently spar over which city was the better hockey town. It was a joke.

I laughed when "Joe" finally decided to pull the plug on ITB.

Why did he anyway? He said that he never would. It was a surprising turn of events. I miss those days. It was fun watching the two fanbases spat. The funny thing is I've heard when QC was on top of the league they were cheating the cap. I guess it wouldn't surprise me. I'm guessing Muskegon did the same. There's no other explanation how the same teams were the contenders every year. Its not like the league really cared. They ran a carefree ship that let a mobster run a successful hockey team for a few years.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
ITB was a lot o' fun. There seemed to be a thread every weekend about someone disrespecting another team or group of fans and looking for a fight either in the Midwest with Rockford/QC/Ft Wayne, or out west with San Diego, Bakersfield, and Stockton.

And that one QC fan who always posted "Congrats on your win" in every GDT thread. LOL.

Only QC fan I recall on there outside of mfrerkes(who always got blasted for being real)was this chick Quacky who bullied people but if they pushed back she made a big deal about it. I miss the QC threads the most lol

Gibbie42

Aug 5, 2011
Evansville, IN
In the IceMen's first CHL year, they still played at Swonder Ice Arena, the rec rink here in town. Fans were right on top of the broadcaster, literally. One of our fans stumbled over the ITB boards and saw that the QC fans were complaining mightily about the fact that IceMen fans liked to "WOOOOOOO" after goals. He conveniently found the postings right the before we played QC at home. So we turned up the WOOOOs. We wooed at goals, for saves, at faceoffs, at icings. Anything. Got home from the game, that night, surfed over to the boards and found QC fans asking "what the hell is up with the WOOOs tonight?" :D :D

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
I think a lot of minor league teams fudge with it. I guess its not wrong to count tickets sold...I mean they were sold so...I mean its lost concession revenue.

A lot of teams don't even get a cut of concessions so that's not an issue. The main thing people should consider when moving from drop/tickets out to lost revenue is merchandise.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
Only QC fan I recall on there outside of mfrerkes(who always got blasted for being real)was this chick Quacky who bullied people but if they pushed back she made a big deal about it. I miss the QC threads the most lol

Ah, yes. Quacky and I had some epic internecine battles. Those were back in the Dark Ages of QC Hockey, when ownership was changing hands every 9.5 months. It was a truly awful time to be a Flames/Mallards fan.

Things are significantly better now, but I'll never be wearing the rose-colored glasses most QC fans on ITB seemed to have on at all times. Some of them couldn't admit that Fort Wayne simply had a better organization and a more stable history in minor league hockey. It absolutely killed them to show even the smallest bit of respect to the Komets, and their fans.

I like the fact Fort Wayne and QC are battling for the division lead right now. It was a good rivalry back in the UHL days. Mallards hockey isn't my 100% of my life (unlike some Mallards fans I could mention) so if the Komets do well, no big deal. I just hope QC can be competitive down the stretch.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Ah, yes. Quacky and I had some epic internecine battles. Those were back in the Dark Ages of QC Hockey, when ownership was changing hands every 9.5 months. It was a truly awful time to be a Flames/Mallards fan.

Things are significantly better now, but I'll never be wearing the rose-colored glasses most QC fans on ITB seemed to have on at all times. Some of them couldn't admit that Fort Wayne simply had a better organization and a more stable history in minor league hockey. It absolutely killed them to show even the smallest bit of respect to the Komets, and their fans.

I like the fact Fort Wayne and QC are battling for the division lead right now. It was a good rivalry back in the UHL days. Mallards hockey isn't my 100% of my life (unlike some Mallards fans I could mention) so if the Komets do well, no big deal. I just hope QC can be competitive down the stretch.

Haha I wonder what the QC and FW fans do now that they can't spar everyday. You cracked me up though. I remember there was this dude one time I can't remember his username but he had a picture of some old white dude holding the steering wheel of a boat and you took it and stuck a monkey indifr the yellow jacket.

I'm surprised QC is still around to be honest. They were in 3 leagues in 3 years with 3 different owners. I thought they'd last maybe 1 or 2 years at the most if lucky. They appear to be heading in a decent direction on and off the ice. I'd like to see more of those UHL teams battling in important games.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
I'm surprised QC is still around to be honest. They were in 3 leagues in 3 years with 3 different owners. I thought they'd last maybe 1 or 2 years at the most if lucky. They appear to be heading in a decent direction on and off the ice. I'd like to see more of those UHL teams battling in important games.

I'm pleasantly surprised as well. It seemed the QC was destined for the USHL, since everything in the UHL, AHL, IHL, and CHL was falling apart for us. The ECHL is working out really well, especially now that the new division alignments are in effect this season. Last year still felt like the CHL.

The Mallards are comfortably in second place behind Fort Wayne, had another good-sized crowd last night, and beat Kalamazoo in OT. You never know how long the good times will last in minor league hockey, but at least we're not going through all the ownership drama like we did several years ago.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I'm pleasantly surprised as well. It seemed the QC was destined for the USHL, since everything in the UHL, AHL, IHL, and CHL was falling apart for us. The ECHL is working out really well, especially now that the new division alignments are in effect this season. Last year still felt like the CHL.

The Mallards are comfortably in second place behind Fort Wayne, had another good-sized crowd last night, and beat Kalamazoo in OT. You never know how long the good times will last in minor league hockey, but at least we're not going through all the ownership drama like we did several years ago.

Yeah its good to see. Hopefully they outlast Fort Wayne. For all the drama they had with ownership the one owner using the back to the future theme was pretty cool even if he bailed quick. Atleast you can say you've seen every minor league pretty much. I can't think of another city that's endured just about everything.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
For all the drama they had with ownership the one owner using the back to the future theme was pretty cool even if he bailed quick.

You're referring to Chris Lencheski. He was my favorite of the post-Flames owners, but I don't think he really had the financial arsenal to fund minor league hockey in a struggling market like the Quad Cities. His heart was in the right place, he just didn't have the wallet to back it up.

Our current owners have massive financial resources. I doubt they're turning a big profit, but the iWireless Center is desperate to remain relevant, so the Mallards are getting use of the building dirt cheap. The arena was highly successful in the 1990s, and as a result, was able to pay for itself a long time ago. If Scott Mullen (the iWi's director) had insisted on a market-rate lease, we would have lost pro hockey after the Flames' epic collapse in 2009.

The iWireless Center became something of a graveyard for minor pro sports franchises. We lost the CBA Quad City Thunder in 2001, and the AF2 Steamwheelers in 2010. If the Mallards ever disappear, that building would be completely devoid of any sports tenant.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
You're referring to Chris Lencheski. He was my favorite of the post-Flames owners, but I don't think he really had the financial arsenal to fund minor league hockey in a struggling market like the Quad Cities. His heart was in the right place, he just didn't have the wallet to back it up.

Our current owners have massive financial resources. I doubt they're turning a big profit, but the iWireless Center is desperate to remain relevant, so the Mallards are getting use of the building dirt cheap. The arena was highly successful in the 1990s, and as a result, was able to pay for itself a long time ago. If Scott Mullen (the iWi's director) had insisted on a market-rate lease, we would have lost pro hockey after the Flames' epic collapse in 2009.

The iWireless Center became something of a graveyard for minor pro sports franchises. We lost the CBA Quad City Thunder in 2001, and the AF2 Steamwheelers in 2010. If the Mallards ever disappear, that building would be completely devoid of any sports tenant.

That's too bad to hear. Arena football is actually awesome to watch in person.

What happened to the QC Flames anyway? Why did they leave? Though I admit I thought them going there in the first place was an interesting move.

Wasn't Lencheski somehow involved in the NASCAR world?

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
What happened to the QC Flames anyway? Why did they leave? Though I admit I thought them going there in the first place was an interesting move.

Wasn't Lencheski somehow involved in the NASCAR world?

The QC Flames became the Abbotsford Heat for a few years, then after that Canadian city got sick of subsidizing the huge losses, the franchise was relocated to Glen Falls, NY as the Adirondack Flames, and now is playing in California as the Stockton Heat. One gets very dizzy trying to follow where Calgary's AHL team plays every season.

Lencheski did have NASCAR dealings on his resume through his company, SKI Motorsports. Here's a story about his involvement with a Smith & Wesson sponsorship back in 2005. His involvement with NASCAR predated his tenure as Quad City Mallards owner in 2009...

http://www.crash.net/nascar/news/89047/1/busch-smith-wesson-to-sponsor-team.html

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
Been living in Fort Wayne for 3 years now and have gone to maybe 8 Komets games now. Enjoy them and the city gives the team good support. (It gives the Tincaps in Single-A baseball good support too, only the D-League Mad Ants seem to struggle.)

First game I went to was a first date for me and my now-wife. 40 seconds into the game and the Komets score and then this unexpected-to-us shower of stuffed animals hit the ice. It was right before Christmas and was part of a toy drive the team was doing. :D

Questions for other locals: how good is the HS ice hockey in the city? I know there's 5 to 6 teams that play at the Ice Plex but didn't know if it's teams with good numbers or they're just scraping to get enough guys that know how to skate right.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad