In Memoriam Former pro hockey players/management/others deaths (Ron Ellis)

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
New Sharks GM Mike Grier, who was introduced in San Jose yesterday, remembered his former Edmonton Oilers teammate after today’s GM meetings: “Anyone who knew Bryan, you know the type of man he was, just an honest, down-to-earth loving person who just cared about everyone. He had time for everyone in the building.

“He was great to me my first few years in Edmonton, treated me with respect right away, made me feel at home, and if I ever needed anything, whether it was a home-cooked dinner instead of eating out every day, he and Kim would have me over.”

Reactions: Nick Hansen

byrone12

Aug 2, 2005

Joel Baillargeon​

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Was waiting for the "right" tribute to follow on with, and I love Mike McKenna's look at how Dave Dryden had a massive influence on goaltender equipment (continuing to this day):

At one point, I was involved in an SIHR effort on "the lesser sibling", and I had dibs on Dave - I've always claimed that there's a reasonable argument that Dave is the more interesting Dryden brother. I think the pandemic kiboshed the project but I should check on it.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Peter McNab, 955 games for Sabres, Bruins, Canucks and Devils. More recently remembered as a color commentator of Avalanche games on Altitude.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
peter mcnab is one of those guys i only know from sporcle quizzes. ridiculous shooting percentage numbers. he kust have been a great slot guy?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
peter mcnab is one of those guys i only know from sporcle quizzes. ridiculous shooting percentage numbers. he kust have been a great slot guy?

He's before my time, too, but I've always understood him to be be sort of Dave Andreychuk in the decade before Dave Andreychuk became an NHL player. Huge guy for the 1970s, soft hands.

And he peaked as a pretty top player and is probably underrated historically. In the 6-year stretch from 1976-82, he's 8th in the NHL in goals. The top 7 are in the HHOF.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
He was one of my favorites from childhood. You nailed it. He was a poor man's Espo or Andreychuk, a great low slot guy. He was also an above average playmaker when necessary. I can still picture O'reilly, sliding or kicking him the puck five or ten feet from the net.

Last edited:

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
When I was a kid I watched the Habs by far the most of any team....but Peter McNab was one of the most prominent non-Habs that i saw from that period. A big guy and a good player.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
When I was a kid I watched the Habs by far the most of any team....but Peter McNab was one of the most prominent non-Habs that i saw from that period. A big guy and a good player.
Liked Peter McNab and remember him too. I couldn't figure why the Kings didn't draft him. Also he was born in Vancouver and was Canadian as was his dad and family I believe so why was he inducted in USHHOf?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad