Former Leaf Jake Gardiner on Waivers

Mar 14, 2011
Along with Kadri and Kessel, Jake was definitely one of my favourite Leafs player from the Post Sundin era up until the drafting of AM. But I really couldn't get upset of the Leafs' management for not resigning Jake as that injury he suffered during his last season here really seemed to have taken a lot out of his game.

Either way, both underlying numbers and actual goals against numbers has always shown that Jake was one of the better "defensive" Dman during his time here, definitely one of the most underappreciated Leafs player in recent memory.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
has nothing to do with performance, he's just been injured and the canes want the flexibility to move him to the taxi squad when he can't play

y'all hold weird grudges
This is true, his underlying numbers are good and I note a lot of other teams fans seem intrigued. It’s a cap move not a performance move.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
It's hard to believe he's on waivers but it sounds like it's because of injuries and not his actual play on the ice.

Jake Gardiner was simultaneously the most underrated and overrated Maple Leaf during his prime years here. Underrated because a lot of people thought he was horrible from his occasional but extremely visible mistakes that often ended up in the net - overlooking all of his other positive contributions. Overrated because a group of fans used advanced stats to claim he was an elite defenseman in the league. His actual level was somewhere in the middle. He was better than a lot of the guys we've had on the blueline since he left. (At least until this season).

Reactions: The Cobra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad