Former Canucks: Players & Management (Kevin Bieksa retirement watch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
To be fair to Benning he said that McCann was going to be a top 6 center. So it's not like he traded for Gudbranson betting that McCann would bust.

Which is even worse because in his mind he traded a top 6 center + early 2nd rounder for Gudbranson. Which really tells you how much he valued Gudbranson who f***ing sucks.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Sigh. We had Edler's replacement all ready, could have learned under Edler and we let him go for a guy that's on his sixth NHL team.
what can he learn from Edler? how to shot pucks to shinpads, how to break sticks?, how to get injured?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
To be fair to Benning he said that McCann was going to be a top 6 center. So it's not like he traded for Gudbranson betting that McCann would bust.

Which is even worse because in his mind he traded a top 6 center + early 2nd rounder for Gudbranson. Which really tells you how much he valued Gudbranson who ****ing sucks.
Actually what REALLY sucks is that if Guds doesn't improve his play; the Panthers could very well get back the player they dealt FOR FREE. Not bad, renting out a player who was injured about 50% of the time for two seasons while getting back a former 1st round pick + very high 2nd round pick.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary

Which is even worse because in his mind he traded a top 6 center + early 2nd rounder for Gudbranson. Which really tells you how much he valued Gudbranson who ****ing sucks.

Look up Mascherin and Ang's stats in junior (McCann trade) , or ... Maybe don't.
I was/am HUGE Guds fan, but this trade is turning out to be a huge haul. McCann looks like different player so far this year.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
The Canucks' patented training program for kids (I believe it's officially called: "hurr durr get bigger ya know") really did a number with McCann and it was always going to take a while for him to recover from that and find correct balance again, not to mention the wrecked confidence from the first year.

Stecher seems the next victim of that, looks clearly slower and less dynamic this season after an offseason training under the Canucks supervision.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Forsling Mccann... Nylander Ehlers Pastaneck Larkin... Tkachuck Keller Mcavoy Brown... sigh.... this is getting depressing. Im starting to lose faith in hockey this sucks. How has benning lasted so long? Noone was at the game last night

Reactions: Nucker101

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
TSN could have a half hour special called, The Hugest Haul... that chronicles and ranks which team got from Benning the hugest haul for the price paid.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
cody hodgson--

Through those final years in his short career, he suffered from shortness of breath, blackouts and heart arrhythmia. Sometimes his body would shake for no apparent reason. He was tested for a wide range of ailments, including brain and lung cancer.

Finally, after what would be his final NHL season with the Nashville Predators, he underwent a muscle biopsy and was subsequently diagnosed with malignant hyperthermia, a genetic disorder that can be triggered by prolonged physical activity.

With the diagnoses, doctors told Hodgson that his career was over

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/retired-nhler-cody-hodgson-giving-back-game-loves/

whoa

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Wow, serious stuff. This really puts his career in a new light.

yeah.

an article from his last buffalo year, before they bought him out.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-cody-hodgson-on-awful-season-i-cant-explain-what-happened/

now we know what happened.

Yeah but it's still tough to forget how he (or rather his dad) wanted it before 'paying his dues'.

oh definitely, he was still a baby. but i think it changes the narrative on his career. i think most of us assumed that he quit because it was too hard and no one was kissing his rear end anymore like in junior... the same reasons that he left here. but turns out that wasn't the case.

but yeah, still a baby.

Reactions: Hit the post

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
That's incredible (and sad) about Hodgson, and if this was going on for awhile, I wonder if we should cut him more slack over his time with us — can easily imagine how having a mysterious illness secretly sapping your abilities could screw with your mind and attitude in all sorts of hard-to-predict ways. You think you're ready for a much bigger role because you think you know what you're capable of; your coaches are seeing something completely different.

I'm speculating, obviously. But it was always so bizarre that a player lauded by everyone for his character in junior turned into such an annoying prima donna in Vancouver. Hard to know for sure if this weird illness played a role in that, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if it was a factor.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That's incredible (and sad) about Hodgson, and if this was going on for awhile, I might cut him even more slack over his time with us — can easily imagine how having a mysterious illness secretly sapping your abilities could screw with your mind and attitude in all sorts of hard-to-predict ways. You think you're ready for a much bigger role because you think you know what you're capable of; your coaches are seeing something completely different.

I'm speculating, obviously. But it was always so bizarre that a player lauded by everyone for his character in junior turned into such an annoying prima donna in Vancouver. Hard to know for sure if this weird illness played a role in that, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if it was a factor.

Yeah, it's really interesting and really hard to know what it means.

I called him a soft quitter when he retired at age 26 and now obviously recant that. Obviously his decline from soft-but-productive primadonna circa 2013 to a guy who couldn't stick in the league at age 25 was caused by his illness, which seems to have become a major issue in the 14-15 season.

But how much of an issue was it from 2009-2012? Is this what caused his mysterious 'back injury' that our doctors couldn't find and led to a falling-out with the player? Is this why his defensive play seemed to spiral endlessly downhill? Hard to say. It doesn't account for his personality, though, and his icetime demands and the way he seemed to have rubbed the rest of the team in the wrong way.

What a weird journey for this player.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah, it's really interesting and really hard to know what it means.

I called him a soft quitter when he retired at age 26 and now obviously recant that. Obviously his decline from soft-but-productive primadonna circa 2013 to a guy who couldn't stick in the league at age 25 was caused by his illness, which seems to have become a major issue in the 14-15 season.

But how much of an issue was it from 2009-2012? Is this what caused his mysterious 'back injury' that our doctors couldn't find and led to a falling-out with the player? Is this why his defensive play seemed to spiral endlessly downhill? Hard to say. It doesn't account for his personality, though, and his icetime demands and the way he seemed to have rubbed the rest of the team in the wrong way.

What a weird journey for this player.
Yes no kidding.

i heard from a good source that Cody's camp was suggesting to the Canucks that they move Kesler to the wing to play with Cody. That would have been pretty hard to digest for AV and Gillis. Yes sound good let's move one of the best 2 way centres in the game to the your wing. Would you like to tell Kes or should we? lol

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
My two takeaways from the Hodgson story are:
  1. What started as a story of general disappointment now becomes a true "Canuck luck" special for the ages; and

2. When players' production drops off dramatically, it stands to reason that there is far more likely some physical reason for it (anyone who subscribes to clichés like "injuries are no excuse" in a line of work based on physical performance can politely leave at this point) rather than a creative "he didn't want it enough" or "he was mentally weak" or whatever TV-analysis soundbite is out there. I come back to it a lot, but I again think of the first round against Chicago in 2011. The team did not instantly get bad at hockey after winning the President's Trophy and claiming a 3-0 series lead. They were so, so obviously sick with some sort of virus.

Reactions: vancityluongo

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

i agree that maybe hodgson gets a bit more of the benefit of the doubt for at least the injury and not translating his by all accounts spirited and great all-round play from juniors to the NHL. but a shade of doubt is all he gets in my book.

from what it sounds like in that article, he was what he was in the NHL: a slow, one-dimensional, poor man's brad boyes. then after three years of scoring at a 20/45 pace, he falls off a cliff for reasons at the time no one could explain, due to his ailment.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
heh, that's nothing....

Leading in points currently for the Vancouver Canucks:
(multiple way tie for 1st place - 2 points in 4 games)

Luca Sbisa: 3 points in 5 games

It's Gillis' fault.....;)

Thats sad

But still Bennings fault

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Wow. Just read the article on Hodgson. I too thought he had made his millions and decided not to work his way back up from the AHL. I still remember Ferraro saying that Hodgson looked like a guy who didn't want to be there when he was in his final year in Buffalo. It's unfortunate that Hodgson's NHL career would end up this way.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Was perusing the KHL site to check on Tryamkin...

Discovered Linden Vey is rippin it up over there still.

Leads the league in ice time for forwards (22:10gm)
Leads the league in assists by like 9 over 2nd place
2nd in league scoring overall

He could literally be leading our Team Canada at the Olympics.... with Nigel Dawes who's 1st in overall scoring over there.

27040.jpg

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad