Former Canucks: Players & Management (Kevin Bieksa retirement watch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Looks like Jordan Schroeder is making a fight for one of the few "black ace" spots on the Blue Jackets opening day roster (they are a playoff team at the moment - so it's of SOME achievement if he manages to stick). Amazing that he MIGHT end up with a longer NHL career than Cody "The Franchise" Hodgson....

This should be an eye opening example of how teams around league are lacking depth in their forward corps. It might be an edge the Canucks will be able to take advantage of by being able to roll 4.

Seriously... take a look at some projected lineups around the league.
We actually look pretty good upfront. And on the 3rd pairing D.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Quite honestly I think Schroeder would be competing for top 9 spot on this team and certainly a 4th line role. Not looking to hang on as 13th or 14th forward like he is on a good team.

The canucks have lots of bodies. I don't think they have effective hockey player in the roles those players are expected to fill.

I don't expect much of a difference this year from the last couple. They will be on the losing end of the possession battle most nights and a an injury or two will expose the supposed depth.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Sbisa and Garrison BIG points in Las Vegas come from behind first ever victory tonight against the overhyped windbag Dallas Stars
Most minutes on the blueline for the Knights. Not to bad for a buyout candidate/washed-up player. Only game 1 though & it is an expansion club.

Jordan Schroeder placed on injured reserve for the Blue Jackets. Guess he's kind of just hanging on if he's not legit hurt (ie., Quinn's old "upper body injury" line).

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
McCann with a goal and a helper so far tonight.

Forsling with a helper and 15 minutes ice through 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: WTG

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Saw Mike Gillis at the vegan smoothie place here in Victoria yesterday. Still trying to make the full beard work.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
McCann with a goal and a helper so far tonight.

Forsling with a helper and 15 minutes ice through 2.

With these prospects developing and with Kassian/Tkachuk/Nylander flourshing, that super scout label for Benning has to take a hit with the general populace. At some point, it just has to sink in that he isn't anything special in this regard.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
With these prospects developing and with Kassian/Tkachuk/Nylander flourshing, that super scout label for Benning has to take a hit with the general populace. At some point, it just has to sink in that he isn't anything special in this regard.
Huh? He still drafted Forsling, Tryamkin, and McCann. Absolutely nothing wrong with his drafting (a far cry from previous regimes here). It's the managing of those players that is the issue (and why I think he's a poor GM but still a solid amateur scout).

Reactions: Diamonddog01

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Huh? He still drafted Forsling, Tryamkin, and McCann. Absolutely nothing wrong with his drafting (a far cry from previous regimes here). It's the managing of those players that is the issue (and why I think he's a poor GM but still a solid amateur scout).

I don't know, don't know for sure, but it definitely sounds like our Russian scout want Tryamkin and JB didn't know anything about him in interviews right after the draft. We know Forsling was a Gradin pick... McCann was picked out of the OHL where at the time Crawford was very good at.

So that leaves...

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Benning had been on the job for a couple months by the time the draft rolled around.

More important than those picks however, was the handling of the 6th overall pick in 2014, and the 5th overall pick in 2016. Those were 2 foot putts. And we double bogeyed the hole.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Benning had been on the job for a couple months by the time the draft rolled around.

More important than those picks however, was the handling of the 6th overall pick in 2014, and the 5th overall pick in 2016. Those were 2 foot putts. And we double bogeyed the hole.

And I'm sure teams don't just start talking about the draft a couple months until the draft either...he most certainly had his own list from his time in Boston.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Well let's just say HE was responsible for scouting and making those picks. If you are such a young talent guru why the hell would you trade them? They got traded not just because he was chasing the impossible but because he didn't see a future for a guy like a Forsling in the NHL. He was dead wrong.

The same skills used in amateur scouting are those used in young player evaluation after a draft. How does he have a supposed skill that manages to be obsolete as soon as that name is called at the podium?

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
I don't know, don't know for sure, but it definitely sounds like our Russian scout want Tryamkin and JB didn't know anything about him in interviews right after the draft. We know Forsling was a Gradin pick... McCann was picked out of the OHL where at the time Crawford was very good at.

So that leaves...

Tryamikin is a perfect example of why Benning is a horrible scout, actually, Mc Cann is too.

If Benning had properly scouted either he would have known Trym was going to be high maintenance and would need to be handled a certain way. Benning had no clue at all what to do with Trym, absolutely zero clue and we ended up losing the asset over it.

With Mc Cann, it was WELL known prior to his being drafted that he was a douche bag, that's why he slipped.

After his first year here, there was really no question about it, Mc Cann HAD to go. In hockey, it is BEYOND rare to have players and their families speaking up in the media about what a twit a teammate is,

And you see once again how Benning drafts like he's playing a video game, he didn't even CONSIDER the fact that with Trym and Mc Cann that he was drafting REAL PEOPLE and he had better find out something about those people before he starts trying to work with them,

It really is like he was playing GM mode in a video game and thought: "This guy will be my Chara, and this guy will replace Kesler and this guy...."

Benning's thought processes often seem to be childlike and are so simplistic that people have a hard time accepting what they imply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad