Post-Game Talk: Forget this game ever happened

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
So you mad at Parros or the reffing. They are two separate things. This was awful by player safety and he should have gotten a bunch of games.

The Pietrangelo/Nurse fiasco last year should have resulted in a comprehensive review of how player safety is handled and how suspension decisions are made in the playoffs exclusively. Also should have resulted in Parros getting his walking papers.

That is what would happen in a league actually interested in ensuring that rules enforcement is consistent, fair, and explainable. The NHL is more interested in pretending there is no problem, everyone that works for them is perfect, and all are "best in the world" with a "tough job." It's f***ing bullshit.

Can't wait until we have to inevitably overcome some sort of rules fiasco this year as well. It's pretty much part of the process at this point.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Everytime there is something that occurs there is a choice to call. Carrick and Buchnevich cross checks would be called what per cent of the time? 50? 25?

There are certain calls that are absolute and some that are judgement. I truly don't think McDavid is getting as rough a ride as he used to, but that is just me.

But, I guess the narrative helps the Oilers. This entire thread is about calls, and not about anything else. You don't have to question your game when you can blame the refs for a loss.

The difference between what fans see and players see are two different things. :)

You already admitted McDavid gets jobbed the most in the league… it completely contradicts your point.

I don’t like to blame refs and I do think the Oilers need to be more disciplined but the refs definitely don’t always “want to make the right call.”. There’s literal evidence of a ref making a call just to even things up.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I dont see how they were Undisciplined last night.

Failed challenge penalty?
Kane getting 2 extra minutes in a fight he didn't start
Zach Hyman with a illegal equipment penalty?? Huh??

They are all game management calls to keep the blues in the playoff race.
Kane's penalty was for taking the helmet off of his opponent. That's in the rulebook, it wasn't a made up call. There was no game management in that call. Same with the failed challenge penalty - that's not game management, if you challenge and lose, its automatic. Every time.

The Draisaitl trips were the worst. Once? Ok, mistakes happen. Twice? Control your stick buddy.

Reactions: rumrokh

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Everytime there is something that occurs there is a choice to call. Carrick and Buchnevich cross checks would be called what per cent of the time? 50? 25?

There are certain calls that are absolute and some that are judgement. I truly don't think McDavid is getting as rough a ride as he used to, but that is just me.
The threshold for what constitutes an infraction should be consistent and applied evenly from team to team and player to player but it clearly isn’t because for the NHL parity is paramount.

Would you agree that the overwhelming majority of infractions occur in the defensive side of the ice, usually in an attempt to prevent scoring chances?

If so, then wouldn’t it make sense that a team like the Oilers that are at or near the top in basically every offensive category, who possess the puck as much as they do and create scoring chances at the rate they do, would draw more penalties and not be near the bottom of league for calls drawn.

Would you say it would be reasonable to expect that a team that has the puck often and generates a lot of scoring chances would likely be infracted against more often then the average?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Kane's penalty was for taking the helmet off of his opponent. That's in the rulebook, it wasn't a made up call. There was no game management in that call. Same with the failed challenge penalty - that's not game management, if you challenge and lose, its automatic. Every time.

The Draisaitl trips were the worst. Once? Ok, mistakes happen. Twice? Control your stick buddy.
There absolutely is game management in that call. Players pull off helmets way more than it’s called a penalty.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
We got royally shafted in this one for sure. The reffing and the TO war room were horrendous (par for the course), and we couldn't bury a ton of good chances against a useless goalie that had a decent game and also had some very good luck and poor net play by us. Wonder why it took so long to move Nuge off the top line. He was really struggling badly. McLeod was skating like the wind, but most of it was done on the perimeter of the rink, so not very effective, and then he unfortunately lost the puck board battle in OT.
At least we got a point in this, which it seemed the Bettman Boys tried really hard to stop. Hopefully they get it done in Dallas and then back home against the Avs in 2 monster games coming up.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Kane scored as well and had a big fight and was physical and playing well. A few passes I didn't like but he's shit at passing generally speaking
Kane didn't score. Is he at 20 games (or close to it) now without a gal? a third of the season while being paid 5.25M. He's been invisible most of the season outside of the first month where he had 9 goals. he's only scored 4 against playoff teams. Drai needs to be signed so we can't be wasting dollars on players who dont bring it every night

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

But, I guess the narrative helps the Oilers. This entire thread is about calls, and not about anything else. You don't have to question your game when you can blame the refs for a loss.

The difference between what fans see and players see are two different things. :)

So its a complete figment of our imagination that we had 2 goals called back, one for a highstick that wasn't high, the other for goalie interference that was not in any way different than the Winnipeg interference of Skinner that was allowed.

That alone is reason to question. But the Blues only got called for blatant infractions and only 2 times. Despite the Oilers carrying play and being hauled down/interfered with several X. For instance if they want to call Drai penalty they could also call the Kyrou obvious pick play which is why Drai lost contain on the play. That was leading to a dangerous chance on 4 on 4, and it was because of the pick, which isn't allowed. The officials look off one, while calling the other. But the Drai penalty was caused by the pick and the pick play not being called.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If I learned anything from yesterdays game it’s that eating the glorious cocaine infused Taco Bell ground beef tacos does not influence the outcome of the game but does influence how long your morning bathroom stop is.

Reactions: AT14C

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kane didn't score. Is he at 20 games (or close to it) now without a gal? a third of the season while being paid 5.25M. He's been invisible most of the season outside of the first month where he had 9 goals. he's only scored 4 against playoff teams. Drai needs to be signed so we can't be wasting dollars on players who dont bring it every night
I've critiqued Kane as well during the stretch. I do think he's woken up last few games and playing the way he should. No excuses for him having longspells of not doing that. But last few games he's been good.

Reactions: foshizzle

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021

No penalty for instigating the fight? Or refs saw Kane and automatically assumed both players wanted to fight? No additional powerplay should have been called for the blues.

I don't disagree that oilers are undisciplined at times, but I believe that blues game was one sided. Even the American network agrued the successful challenge on the nuge goal should have counted.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Alex-Pietrangelo-suspended.jpg

We all know that if Pieceofshitangelo was getting physically assaulted (a complete non hockey play) by an Oiler instead, the Oiler would have been suspended the series (or longer).

Discipline is subjective in this league
I hope somebody does something similar to that dirtbag when we play Vegas. Or something severe. Knee him, whatver

That POS was crying all game when Kane was legit bodychecking him all game. He took it out on Drai

Reactions: Duke74

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The fact is I'd rather goals not be challengable at all. As I feel it's just a tool to give certain officials and the league even more subjectivity.
Bang. This is the VAR problem as well. The moment you give the authority to call back goals actually scored you allow officiating to have much more impact on games than otherwise, and much more say on results. It is or isn't the intent of this level of review but it does open up more to outright match fixing. Football has a huge problem with this with the combo of VAR and red card diving competitions. Games so often can be the result of just this. Decided on whim.

For fans its sold that these reviews improve the sanctity of result. Anybody really feeling that way? The Oilers scored 4 goals, 2 were taking back on false rulings. In the same game Blues were allowed a goalie interference goal.

NHL rulings being so arbitrary you could flip a coin on what the call would be, except you'd realize the probability is more of the Oilers getting screwed over.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
Just wondering is each is reviewed from an officiating standpoint. Are there discussions on what penalties were incorrectly called and which penalties were missed? There has to be some kind of accountability right?

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
Do you feel the same way about Nuge? He got a PP goal like two games ago but that was his first goal in roughly the same amount of time while playing basically exclusively with McDavid and Hyman.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There are some games that seem like they are impossible to win no matter what you do, and that was one of them. The Blues couldn't establish anything that wasn't handed to them by a power play.

I will, however, offer one criticism of a detail in our game that gives us problems - being too aggressive on 50/50 pucks at both blue lines. Got burned once on it from Bouchard and then again by Ekholm (although this one was assisted by a soft pass and a fortunate line change). It's a detail that we need to clean up, happens too often (forwards are guilty too) and the consequence for a screw up is basically a 30%+ chance you're going to get immediately scored on. Those kinds of plays just aren't necessary in tied or one goal games.
True. But sometimes its also reffing being bad and hockey being bounce. On one play Booch got stick on puck to keep puck in zone. Somehow the puck not only skips away from him but right to a Blue, I mean perfectly going to the blue. (otherwise known as luck) On the other the puck is being contested and somehow through the vibration of molecules (sarcasm) magically jumps to Saad who magically jumps off ice just at that time, who is on fortunately on attack short bench, and who is seated at the end of that bench. All Saad has to do there is jump in play there and he has a breakaway. Its just one of the inane things about 3 on 3 is how impacted they are by bench positions.

Takeaway though is on at least two instances the Oilers made plays they arguably should make or were very close to making and somehow both blew up to be the worst possible things. In a game in which we dominated and Blues got every bounce.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dieseloil

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
It seems like no matter what the Oilers did last night, the refs were gonna find a way to hand the Blues the W. What corruption.

Big point, though. One step closer to clinching home ice.

Reactions: McHelpus

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Do you feel the same way about Nuge? He got a PP goal like two games ago but that was his first goal in roughly the same amount of time while playing basically exclusively with McDavid and Hyman.
I do, actually. I never wanted him re-signed. He was drafted as a centre- and at best- he has been a complimentary winger who specializes on the PP. He has never been a strong 5v5 player. Dandenault and Nuge were UFAs at the same time- I was hoping and praying to sign the former- but it never happened. However, I can see other posters perspective in liking him. He plays on your top PK unit and top PP unit. He is pretty decent defensively. I think you need more- but I understand the other side. Not so with Kane. Posters here think the Kane that first got here and through the first 2 rounds that year is the Kane playing today. He isn’t. He isn’t even the player who played then. He was just on a heater

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The craziest stat in that whole chart is that the Ducks have 772 PIMs and NYI have 414.

Why would the league try to screw original 6 darlings Montreal and Boston? And 3 southern teams because the league obviously wants to help them? (ANA, SJ, FLA)

Pardon my sarcasm.
You know the answer to this already. NHL takes gold markets with guaranteed ticket sales for granted because they can. Thus Montreal and Edmonton getting no favors, and those cities also have no other pro competition. NHL doesn't have to do anything but exist for those to be the top market clubs in those cities.

Conversely you look at Canadian teams getting help from NHL and its Vancouver, Winnipeg, Ottawa and Calgary where those teams need any help they can get to keep fans coming. Other than that the NHL favors NHL American markets where the league feels they need to do to more to help those clubs to keep the fans coming.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I do, actually. I never wanted him re-signed. He was drafted as a centre- and at best- he has been a complimentary winger who specializes on the PP. He has never been a strong 5v5 player. Dandenault and Nuge were UFAs at the same time- I was hoping and praying to sign the former- but it never happened.

This team would be measurably worse with Danault instead of Nuge.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The talk here is borderline nuts. The league doesn't have it out for the Oilers. I remember having a discussion with Darryl Sutter and him saying that the Canadian teams love Bettman and that he was the main reason we survived in the dark times.

The rest of this is drivel.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

That’s how it should be, but it absolutely isn’t how it’s called. There’s been multiple instances this season where an opponent rips off an Oilers player’s helmet either during play or during a scrum and goes unpenalized.

This is the root of my frustration when it comes to officiating. Even when there are rules that are hard coded, black and white penalties the officials still somehow poke their snivelling noses into it and make the whole league a farce.

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad