OT: For some reason, sometimes I think about Derek Dorsett

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
He only ever played 51 regular season and 34 postseason games for us, and only ever had 8 points in the regular season and 2 points in the playoffs for us.

Does anyone else feel like he was a vital part of the team, primarily the bottom 6, in those two seasons?

What was it that made him, and the bottom 6 in general, so good from 2013-2014?

I feel like the energy he brought hasn't been here since.

Reactions: AirGut and egelband

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
He only ever played 51 regular season and 34 postseason games for us, and only ever had 8 points in the regular season and 2 points in the playoffs for us.

Does anyone else feel like he was a vital part of the team, primarily the bottom 6, in those two seasons?

What was it that made him, and the bottom 6 in general, so good from 2013-2014?

I feel like the energy he brought hasn't been here since.

Is this some kind of shawty thread in disguise?

She gone, let her go bro.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
He was good when he played. Wasn’t he injured a lot though? That’s how I remember him. If only he played more…

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Not gonna lie, if you asked me how many games Dorsett played as a NYR I would not have guessed that few lol.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I adored Dorsett in his time here and he was part of the best 4th line i've ever seen post-lockout

Played way, way above his weight class and it's no surprise his career ended so early unfortunately.

Part of the GOAT 4th line.

He Moore and Boyle were fire.
Dorsett was one of the fastest 4th liners i'd ever seen at the time. I didn't think 4th liners could play like that, very ahead of his time. He was like Tyler Motte but on steroids.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Sorry OP, but I disagree.
Dorsett was terrible.
The only thing he did with regularity was get his ass handed to him and swing momentum to the other team. There's times when you pass on a chance to go. You're on the road, you have a lead, the crowd is falling asleep. Not ol'Derek. He's a gamer. He'll go any time you want. So if your team needs a boost, give him a tap. Then you slap him around like a middle school kid and you know what? Your crowd will be rocking. Probably didn't even have to break a sweat doing it either.
It's a win win. Unless you're Dorsett. Or the Rangers. Then you just sucked for putting him out there, and he obliged by sucking when he was out there.

So no, I don't miss him. Not even a little.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sorry OP, but I disagree.
Dorsett was terrible.
The only thing he did with regularity was get his ass handed to him and swing momentum to the other team. There's times when you pass on a chance to go. You're on the road, you have a lead, the crowd is falling asleep. Not ol'Derek. He's a gamer. He'll go any time you want. So if your team needs a boost, give him a tap. Then you slap him around like a middle school kid and you know what? Your crowd will be rocking. Probably didn't even have to break a sweat doing it either.
It's a win win. Unless you're Dorsett. Or the Rangers. Then you just sucked for putting him out there, and he obliged by sucking when he was out there.

So no, I don't miss him. Not even a little.
In 14 fights as a Ranger, Dorsett was 6-8 despite being pretty tiny.

I think he was a lot tougher than you're giving him credit for.

He probably did fight too much but even in 2013 and 2014, it was a very different league.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
That line was better with Carcillo on it, thats my main takeaway from Dorsett's Ranger career
that line was statistically far superior with Dorsett on it, your memory is failing you

although i'd have happily still traded Dorsett and kept Carcillo at league min that offseason.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
that line was statistically far superior with Dorsett on it, your memory is failing you

although i'd have happily still traded Dorsett and kept Carcillo at league min that offseason.

Carcillo scored goals in games 3 and 7 of the Flyers series, thats the only stat that matters. Dont care about what the analytics said about a line from the playoffs 9 years ago lol

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I think about Stu Bickel sometimes.

Always had a soft spot for guys who quite literally fought their way up to the big leagues from the coast.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
Didn't he also troll the Philly crowd after scoring? He was surprisingly decent as a Ranger.
He also tuned down the dirty hits he was notorious for when he played with us. The trolling Philly fans made him a legend in my mind.

Not that I agree with every single thing he does or says, but I also really respect his advocacy for former players since he's retired.

Reactions: will1066

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
Didn't he also troll the Philly crowd after scoring? He was surprisingly decent as a Ranger.
FlyersFan.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad