For Rasmussen to be worth the 9th pick, how many pts a season does he need to avg?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Since there will be a debate about his pick until we actually see him play on the team, I'd like to see some expectations of him. If he averages 40pts a year but he's good defensively, would he be considered a bust or a success? Does he need to average 60 points a year?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
he needs to be better than Vilardi and Necas

voted 60 but we'll see how they turn out

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
At 9th overall I'd be hoping to get a 60 point C. I expect both He's and Vilardi to end up as 20 G, 60 P players. For me to call the Ras pick a success he'd need to get those numbers. If he ends up as a 30 G, 50 P center I'd also consider that to be a success.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
If he translates his physical net-front presence to the NHL, he'll be just fine even if he doesn't get credited for pucks that go in due to his hard work. Being solid defensively would be a big plus, too. So:
1. Create space + be physical
2. Improve the PP
3. Sound two-way play

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I interpreted it as in the NHL after he's established himself full time.

Thanks, just read it again, that seems right.

Around 60. At 9, you're drafting at least a solid 2nd line player at center. At defense you hope a #9 develops into a #1, but at least a top 4 guy. Goaltender, he must be at least a #1.

So Rasmussen is going to need to produce about 55 points a year for me to not hate the pick.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
he needs to be better than Vilardi and Necas

voted 60 but we'll see how they turn out

I've linked this data before but here it is again.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TTb6tjKP8_W0k7GOMp0cKrtNy5IO8VBjFLxT6LmNwdI

based on Draft years from 2005-2014, forwards taken at #9 had average .523 PPG. If you look at forwards drafted #7 to #11, it was .54 PPG.

So ~45 points a season. lol.

I don't read either of these posts when I commented, good show.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If we weren't in such a low point total era, I would say 70+, but in today's NHL, and in what was considered a weaker draft, I would say, if he is a consistent power forward, with 50+ points, player, he will have fulfilled my expectations.

Having said that, I miss the days, when the leading scorers had 100+ pts, easily.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I went with 60 points, I don't think that is out of line for his draft number and size. Get in front and clean up the mess.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Consistent 20-20 guy would be minimum for me.

I think if he only averages 40 points a season he would have to be considered a bust. The problem is that he has a lot more pressure to become better than a 40 point guy because the expectations for him will be higher based on the recent draft history for this team. Now, if we draft inside the top 5 a few times the next few years the pressure will definitely alleviate a bit.

But Rasmussen only producing like Abdelkader would definitely be considered a bust since Abdelkader averages <30pts/season for his career. Rasmussen needs to be able to generate offense, guys like Abdelkader and Helm do not generate offense at all.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
50 is fine. Weak draft. Not high on the guy but he was taken at 9, the highest pick we've had in forever. I can't complain with 50.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Was the draft weak, or was it just that there wasn't a generational talent at the very top?

Personally, I don't think it was that weak. I think it was average and the last two drafts have spoiled everyone. But everyone says it was a weak draft sooo

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
I feel like he'll be the Center version of Abby with a bit more talent. Likely a 40pt season, hovering around 50 for his peak.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Borderline first line center. Unless if he's in his prime we still don't have a 1c. Then he needs 70

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Depends how guys do around him. If hes the Hugh Jessiman that will suck. If he only gets 40 points but everyone around him basically bust and aren't NHLers it will be a good pick. People saying he needs 60 points or they wont like it wont make sense, what if no one from 5-15 hits 60 points but Ras is the most valuable defensive/net front guy? Then it would still be a good pick in my eyes

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think if he is a 50 to 60 point guy it was a great pick.

Again I would have gone Necas but it doesn't mean Rasmussen isn't a big time prospect.

For the record since people talk about him a lot Vilardi isn't going to be a center at the NHL level in my opinion so I really don't care what his production is moving forward.

Rasmussen needs to bring strong two-way play and a physical presence and I think he will do both. He will chip in, but I think he will also create goals he doesn't get points on as well which will factor into how I feel about his work near the net.

The tools exist for him to be Dave Andreychuk which would be absolutely fantastic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad