For once Montreal and Boston fans can agree on something

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I don't understand why I should care about this as a Habs fan.

Because "O Canada" is probably going to be sung by the runner up of The Voice. :sarcasm:

But seriously, if the WC were in Montreal, and Ginette Reno weren't singing, I'd sign in protest. Some things you don't $*%&@#*( with. I signed that petition on the T on the way home from the game - the most Boston thing you can do.

I do kinda feel sorry for the kid. In fairness, he has a damn high voice, so I'd imagine he's sung the anthem before and can hit the notes. He has said that he wants to sing the anthem at the Super Bowl:

http://www.people.com/article/jordan-smith-reacts-winning-voice

But seriously, the kid just won a "talent" show that so far has produced ZERO stars. Even Idol, the only show that's produced anyone of note (Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Adam Lambert, Fantasia, Jennifer Hudson, Daughtry) has only produced 1 star in the last 6 years, and that's Phillip Phillips, who I haven't heard in awhile.

He doesn't deserve the large stage of the Super Bowl: that's hubris. And he sure as hell doesn't deserve the Winter Classic. I'd be shocked if he can name two hockey teams besides the Bruins, Canadiens, Rangers, and Blackhawks.

And if he doesn't know why he's being booed, that's his own fault for being in a bubble created by his minders.

Give the kid "God Bless America", and hand the anthems to Rene and Ginette. I get that NBC needs to promote their show. But this is our home ice.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Because "O Canada" is probably going to be sung by the runner up of The Voice. :sarcasm:

But seriously, if the WC were in Montreal, and Ginette Reno weren't singing, I'd sign in protest. Some things you don't $*%&@#*( with. I signed that petition on the T on the way home from the game - the most Boston thing you can do.

I do kinda feel sorry for the kid. In fairness, he has a damn high voice, so I'd imagine he's sung the anthem before and can hit the notes. He has said that he wants to sing the anthem at the Super Bowl:

http://www.people.com/article/jordan-smith-reacts-winning-voice

But seriously, the kid just won a "talent" show that so far has produced ZERO stars. Even Idol, the only show that's produced anyone of note (Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Adam Lambert, Fantasia, Jennifer Hudson, Daughtry) has only produced 1 star in the last 6 years, and that's Phillip Phillips, who I haven't heard in awhile.

He doesn't deserve the large stage of the Super Bowl: that's hubris. And he sure as hell doesn't deserve the Winter Classic. I'd be shocked if he can name two hockey teams besides the Bruins, Canadiens, Rangers, and Blackhawks.

And if he doesn't know why he's being booed, that's his own fault for being in a bubble created by his minders.

Give the kid "God Bless America", and hand the anthems to Rene and Ginette. I get that NBC needs to promote their show. But this is our home ice.

This works for me...:nod:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Rene didn't sing at the first one either.

Sure looks like he did.

rena-rancourt-22.jpg

Alumni game the next day

Daniel Powder and James Taylor did the anthems

Oops - my mistake. It's been awhile since I've watched the game from Fenway. I don't think the Alumni game from that year even aired on any Canadian stations. :(

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Terrible. Let Rene have it. If they need a compromise let Rene sing ours and let their singer sing theirs.

Not someone who doesn't know what hockey is. Not to mention who possibly may be worse than Rene.

That boy who sang a few weeks ago while hopping around like the greatest singer of all time is not what we need.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I posted this on the Habs board

Look - I understand why many of you feel the anthems are a relic of the past and should be done away with. I don't agree with you but I respect your opinion.

That said - the game in Foxborough is to celebrate our rivalry and our shared history. Boston is actually a few miles closer to Montreal than Toronto is

and there are many Habs fans in Northern New England.

The fanbases don't get along well as we all know but deep down there is a respect between us. Both fanbases have a lunatic fringe but generally it is civil.

Rene is way past his prime now - we know that and at times he reminds me of the Cowardly Lion in the Wizard of Oz.

Bruins anthem singer Rene Rancourt not singing anthem at Winter Classic

Foxborough is going to be special as Gillette Stadium will be split down the middle between B's and Habs fans. I hope the fans coming down from Quebec will have an enjoyable time no matter what the score of the game is. Feel free to ask PM me to ask questions about Boston if you are coming down.

What I am saying is with all this history involved - why should the anthem singer be a 22 year old from Kentucky who happened to win a TV show?

Obviously I am a Bruins diehard but I have come to love the city of Montreal and I am a closet fan of Nos Amours and I really hope you get the Expos back as I went to many games at Stade Olympique.

I have been going to Montreal for Bruins games since 1969 :wally:

Bruins/Habs to me is a bigger rivalry than Red Sox/NYY ( but not by much )

Bruins/Habs in 1971 devastated me and somehow as a poor college student back then went I to every game. You could always get into the Forum cheap ( which wasn't the case in Boston ) because the Forum sold standing room.

I was at both the Bucky Dent game and the 'Too Many Men' game a few months later and the Bruins game scarred me more as I did not return to the Forum for 9 years.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
I am probably as big a Bruin fan as there is on this planet, but I am sorry, Rene Rancourt is probably the worst Anthem singer on the planet. The fact that he has got to sing the anthem for Bruins' games for so many years and make a living at it is miraculous in and of itself and something I have never understood. Frankly I doubt he gives a rat's ass if he sings the anthem at the classic and even if he does he should thank his lucky stars that he has been able to do what he does for so many years with such a horrendous voice. If some kid who can sing who just won a contest gets some publicity out of it, so be it. Rene will be back the following week breaking ear drums all over Massachusettes.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am probably as big a Bruin fan as there is on this planet, but I am sorry, Rene Rancourt is probably the worst Anthem singer on the planet. The fact that he has got to sing the anthem for Bruins' games for so many years and make a living at it is miraculous in and of itself and something I have never understood. Frankly I doubt he gives a rat's ass if he sings the anthem at the classic and even if he does he should thank his lucky stars that he has been able to do what he does for so many years with such a horrendous voice. If some kid who can sing who just won a contest gets some publicity out of it, so be it. Rene will be back the following week breaking ear drums all over Massachusettes.

Rene has been doing it for 40 years :handclap:

and 20 years ago he still had his fastball

https://youtu.be/kh0_mW8XqUQ?t=661

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I just signed it, but don't think it will do much good.

Kind of like those people a few years ago that petitioned to keep Nickelback from playing the Thanksgiving NFL game.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I don't agree with disrespecting the anthems in any way.
I think it's odd that Rene & The Bear have been featured in all the #backoutdoors promos and teasers (at least to Bs fans) and he won't be singing.

I also vehemently disagree with finding common ground between Bs and Habs fans.

(Finding a lot to disagree with this morning)

God Bless America at a Bs game? Are you mad??

Last edited:

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
The kid is actually one of the nicest most humble people you'll ever see. Happy for him.

Also happens to be one of the greatest singers I've ever heard (not an exaggeration).

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
TV station promoting another one of their shows. Doesn't really bother me as much as I love Rene.

I don't agree that anyone should boo or chant anything during the anthem no matter who ends up singing it. Have respect for the song of each country during the singing. let the politics of which singer should in your opinon get the gig be put aside.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:popcorn:

Legendary TD Garden singer Rene Rancourt won’t get to sing the national anthem at the Winter Classic on New Year’s Day and, frankly, it’s outrageous. NBC decided against letting Rancourt sing the anthem on the national TV broadcast, the NHL announced Tuesday, instead choosing to promote the winner of “The Voice†— a show that airs on their network. NESN’s Jack Edwards expressed his disappointment with NBC on “The Instigators†following the Boston Bruins’ loss to the St. Louis Blues on Tuesday. He isn’t the only one, either: A petition started Tuesday to allow Rancourt to sing the national anthem received over 1,000 signatures in just a few hours. Check out Edwards’ take on the situation in the video

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2015/12/rene-rancou...sing-national-anthem-at-winter-classic-video/

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Signed it too, but it's probably not going to do anything.

I would rather Rancourt and Reno do it out of tradition, but NBC doesn't care about tradition. They care about ratings (I'm actually amazed people even care about the Voice anyways)

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I think the fuss over this is pretty silly tbh. He didn't sing at the first Classic either. It's no surprise at all that NBC is going to market the game to non-hockey fans.

I love Rene, but I don't understand why some people are making a big deal out of this.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
I think the fuss over this is pretty silly tbh. He didn't sing at the first Classic either. It's no surprise at all that NBC is going to market the game to non-hockey fans.

I love Rene, but I don't understand why some people are making a big deal out of this.

nevermind, I'm slow

Ignore me

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I've signed.

I don't think it'll matter at all though.

NBC pays millions for the rights for this event and they could have Roseanne Barr or Carl Lewis sing the anthem if they really wanted to.

I did like the idea of the kid doing God Bless America and the dudes doing the national anthems.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I agree Rene should sing at least O Canada, but if anyone decides to boo the kid who does sing our anthem, well, you're an idiot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad