OT: Football Thread

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

6. New York GiantsMalik Nabers, WR, LSU
"The Giants have done their work on this year’s quarterbacks and are keeping track of this deep class of offensive linemen, but instead they add the firepower that this passing attack has desperately needed. Nabers can take any touch to the house and would give the Giants an explosive play element to make everyone else’s lives easier, including the quarterback and play-caller".

10. New York JetsTroy Fautanu, OL, Washington
"The Jets might be playing footsy with Brock Bowers a bit here, but instead they go with Fautanu to give themselves the perfect insurance for their revamped but oft-injured offensive line. Fautanu is a technician with quick feet and could start at any offensive line spot in his career. He might have to this season if the Jets continue to have bad injury luck".
Would be fine if the draft plays out this way. My only concern is that Schoen/Daboll feel they have to take a QB in order to "reset the clock" and give themselves more time developing "their guy." Whereas, if they stand pat with Jones or Lock and have a bad season, they might be gone. I hope ownership gives them enough leash to make the proper long-term decisions for the team.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Looks like the Broncos FINALLY wised up and left the ugly 90s garbage in the past, I can’t believe it took them this long. New uniforms are okay, nothing special but light years better than that absolute trash they’ve been wearing.

Now the Texans need to do something.

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Looks like the Broncos FINALLY wised up and left the ugly 90s garbage in the past, I can’t believe it took them this long. New uniforms are okay, nothing special but light years better than that absolute trash they’ve been wearing. Now the Texans need to do something.
New Broncos Unis.

Attachments

• BRONCOS UNIS.jpg
    BRONCOS UNIS.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 1

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Surprised he even got what he got, once Mac Jones got a 6th, Zach was never getting anything better than that.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Would be fine if the draft plays out this way. My only concern is that Schoen/Daboll feel they have to take a QB in order to "reset the clock" and give themselves more time developing "their guy." Whereas, if they stand pat with Jones or Lock and have a bad season, they might be gone. I hope ownership gives them enough leash to make the proper long-term decisions for the team.

Thats really the kicker and the unknown. Typically, IMO the NYG are slow to fire. But that's usually because they make nepotism hires.

Mara has to see that Schoen is just getting out of the mess Gettleman left him.

I think trading #6, #47, and a probable top 5-10 pick next year for Maye (and Maye falling on his face with the abysmal skill position group and (we pray) average o line play) is vastly more likely to get Schoen fired.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If I'm Joe Schoen (I'm not) I'd have to ask myself a few questions.

1. Is DJ the QB we saw win 10 games in 2022 or the QB we saw lose 4 out of 5 games in 2023?

2. What happened in 2023? To start DJ did not have Andrew Thomas or Barkley for most of his 5 games.

3. Could any Qb have thrived behind the Giants Olines against Dallas (AT injured) or SF (AT and Barkley out)?

4. DJ had 6 ints in 2023 but 3 of them were directly off Barkley (2) hands and Wallers hands).

5. Did DJ feel pressure from the media, fans, or teammates about the contract?

6. DJ scored 31 points in one half to win the Arizona game. How could he be that good for one half and so bad otherwise in 2023?

7. Will DJ have similar speed after the ACL.

8. DJ has won player of the week 3 times. He had a strong rookie year statistically. He had the 6th QBR in 2022. He set a playoff records in his first ever playoff game. So who is he? The good or the terrible? He has never had a line even ranked 20th in the NFL. Never had a top 30 WR. Who is he is he has a average line and a real #1 WR?

Those are the questions I would ask myself if I was Joe (I'm not).

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

My thought is that they aren't on the hot seat.

If I'm Joe Schoen (I'm not) I'd have to ask myself a few questions.

1. Is DJ the QB we saw win 10 games in 2022 or the QB we saw lose 4 out of 5 games in 2023?

2. What happened in 2023? To start DJ did not have Andrew Thomas or Barkley for most of his 5 games.

3. Could any Qb have thrived behind the Giants Olines against Dallas (AT injured) or SF (AT and Barkley out)?

4. DJ had 6 ints in 2023 but 3 of them were directly off Barkley (2) hands and Wallers hands).

5. Did DJ feel pressure from the media, fans, or teammates about the contract?

6. DJ scored 31 points in one half to win the Arizona game. How could he be that good for one half and so bad otherwise in 2023?

7. Will DJ have similar speed after the ACL.

8. DJ has won player of the week 3 times. He had a strong rookie year statistically. He had the 6th QBR in 2022. He set a playoff records in his first ever playoff game. So who is he? The good or the terrible? He has never had a line even ranked 20th in the NFL. Never had a top 30 WR. Who is he is he has a average line and a real #1 WR?

Those are the questions I would ask myself if I was Joe (I'm not).

DJ sucks. Pretty much all that needs to be said. Never seen a starting QB with less of an ability to read defenses than him. Wildly bad.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Thats really the kicker and the unknown. Typically, IMO the NYG are slow to fire. But that's usually because they make nepotism hires.

Mara has to see that Schoen is just getting out of the mess Gettleman left him.

I think trading #6, #47, and a probable top 5-10 pick next year for Maye (and Maye falling on his face with the abysmal skill position group and (we pray) average o line play) is vastly more likely to get Schoen fired.
I think the Vikings are gonna beat the Giants or anyone for that matter for Maye. Lot of smoke around them since the trade for another 1st, and Mccown, their QB coach, was Maye's HS coach.

Draft goes Caleb, JJ, Maye 1-2-3

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I am time crushed so apologies this is brief. Also draft imminent so this can't wait.

Radical probs often require rad, outside the box approaches to solve.
enter bern

I get Wilson bombed. BUT WHY????
Largest chunk arguably b'c insufficient OL, spec T protection.
Yes, other factors w/nothing to do w/that, but largest reason = ^ imo

Just for the record --
Remember, bern wanted us to trade 2OA down to like ATL for 4OA or whatev that was, and a +, and grab Penei Sewell, stud T, who has helped solidify Lions. DET is using a retread QB and getting results, b'c solid lines including OL including Ts. We could look at QB later but still early in the draft.

Vikings desp for QB. Should have offered 2 1sts + Wilson for 11OA.

Ok, what's done is done.

We picked up coupla geezers for OT, but do we really think they are gonna last whole sched? We remain thin there either way.

Going forward.
Jets need to try to get 3 picks top 10 AND DRAFT 3 BEST T PROSPECTS
period, full stop

I would have preferred to do the following before we were forced to jettison Huff for cap compliance, but we still have good quality DL.

Chargers: multiple holes, might gamble.
Have Joey Bosa + Khalil Mack [who is 33] are listed as OLB, tho both obv bring the pressure.
Q Williams x 2 gives insane pressure by adding to the rush and upgrades def

Quincy + Quinnen Williams
for
5OA, 2025 Chargers 1st, + OL Rashawn Slater

LA gets signif immediate help [Quincy rejuvenates Mack a bit] for futures, while taking interior OL hit. This is a net short term gain, adding 2 impact players for loss of 1.

Jets get interior guy who can play any of 5 positions, hopefully w/returning Vera Tucker + youth we have, covers Gs and C, with emergency depth for OL

Use 5OA to draft OT Joe Alt

-------------
howev, like a Ronco commercial:
but wait, there's more....

I forget the names of the next 2 guys = best OTs.

I would gamble lose Breece Hall risk we can sufficiently recover w/RBs we have and add ons. Hall for a top 10 pick. That's 1 guy

Then see who is left, hopefully snare at 10. That's the other OT.

-----------------

Ideally, yes, you prefer balance
But controlling OL = better offense results and more time of possession, run down def. late in the game, keep your own D better rested.

I despise overrated QB Rodgers, but setting that aside, we see it does not take much for injury.
If we keep emphasis on D like last yr, we might/likely get mo of the same.

But if we go O like above, and Rodgers is knocked out, the replacement will have benefit of likely enuf time to make plays.

ok, real world beckons
best to both Jets and Giant fans w/the draft

peace out

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I am time crushed so apologies this is brief. Also draft imminent so this can't wait.

Radical probs often require rad, outside the box approaches to solve.
enter bern

I get Wilson bombed. BUT WHY????
Largest chunk arguably b'c insufficient OL, spec T protection.
Yes, other factors w/nothing to do w/that, but largest reason = ^ imo

Just for the record --
Remember, bern wanted us to trade 2OA down to like ATL for 4OA or whatev that was, and a +, and grab Penei Sewell, stud T, who has helped solidify Lions. DET is using a retread QB and getting results, b'c solid lines including OL including Ts. We could look at QB later but still early in the draft.

Vikings desp for QB. Should have offered 2 1sts + Wilson for 11OA.

Ok, what's done is done.

We picked up coupla geezers for OT, but do we really think they are gonna last whole sched? We remain thin there either way.

Going forward.
Jets need to try to get 3 picks top 10 AND DRAFT 3 BEST T PROSPECTS
period, full stop

I would have preferred to do the following before we were forced to jettison Huff for cap compliance, but we still have good quality DL.

Chargers: multiple holes, might gamble.
Have Joey Bosa + Khalil Mack [who is 33] are listed as OLB, tho both obv bring the pressure.
Q Williams x 2 gives insane pressure by adding to the rush and upgrades def

Quincy + Quinnen Williams
for
5OA, 2025 Chargers 1st, + OL Rashawn Slater

LA gets signif immediate help [Quincy rejuvenates Mack a bit] for futures, while taking interior OL hit. This is a net short term gain, adding 2 impact players for loss of 1.

Jets get interior guy who can play any of 5 positions, hopefully w/returning Vera Tucker + youth we have, covers Gs and C, with emergency depth for OL

Use 5OA to draft OT Joe Alt

-------------
howev, like a Ronco commercial:
but wait, there's more....

I forget the names of the next 2 guys = best OTs.

I would gamble lose Breece Hall risk we can sufficiently recover w/RBs we have and add ons. Hall for a top 10 pick. That's 1 guy

Then see who is left, hopefully snare at 10. That's the other OT.

-----------------

Ideally, yes, you prefer balance
But controlling OL = better offense results and more time of possession, run down def. late in the game, keep your own D better rested.

I despise overrated QB Rodgers, but setting that aside, we see it does not take much for injury.
If we keep emphasis on D like last yr, we might/likely get mo of the same.

But if we go O like above, and Rodgers is knocked out, the replacement will have benefit of likely enuf time to make plays.

ok, real world beckons
best to both Jets and Giant fans w/the draft

peace out
Well at least you apologized for your brevity. 😊👍

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
My thought is that they aren't on the hot seat.

DJ sucks. Pretty much all that needs to be said. Never seen a starting QB with less of an ability to read defenses than him. Wildly bad.
That may turn out to be the case especially after the knee injury but I think it makes a complicated case overly simplistic. If DJ totally sucks and is the worst ever at reading defenses how did he fool Dabol and Schoen a year ago? How did he win 3 player of the weeks? How did he throw for 24 tds as a rookie? How did he set a playoff record becoming the first QB in NFL history with 300+ passing yards, 2 passing TDs and 70+ rushing yards in his first ever playoff game on the road? How did he have a the 6th best QBR in 2022? I'm not saying I know that DJ is good or bad. I'm saying the puzzle is more complicated than just saying he is the worst ever at reading a defense imo.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I think If youre still asking whether or not your QB is good going into his 6th year then you actually already have your answer.

Throw in two serious neck injuries and a torn ACL and I think it’s safe to move on.
Maybe so but guys like Jim Plunkett, Phil Simms, Rich Gannon, Geno Smith, etc might disagree.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

That's awesome!

That may turn out to be the case especially after the knee injury but I think it makes a complicated case overly simplistic. If DJ totally sucks and is the worst ever at reading defenses how did he fool Dabol and Schoen a year ago? How did he win 3 player of the weeks? How did he throw for 24 tds as a rookie? How did he set a playoff record becoming the first QB in NFL history with 300+ passing yards, 2 passing TDs and 70+ rushing yards in his first ever playoff game on the road? How did he have a the 6th best QBR in 2022? I'm not saying I know that DJ is good or bad. I'm saying the puzzle is more complicated than just saying he is the worst ever at reading a defense imo.

It's not.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
That's awesome!

It's not.

I think you could find 5 minutes of bad throws from almost any QB. Some of Elis passes were the worst ducks in history. I'm just playing devils advocate here. I'm not taking a side. I'm asking you how did DJ fool Joe Schoen and Dabol last season? How did he set a NFL playoff record? How did he win player of the week 3 times if he is the worse QB ever at reading a defense. I'm not advocating for him. I'm simply saying this isnt a case like in some QBs that you can see they can't play right away. This is a guy who had 24 tds vs 12 ints as a rookie. He has played behind some of the worst lines in the NFL.

Look at the fans posting on this link.
What a difference a year makes.

This time last year Baker Mayfield could not find a job. This time a few years ago nobody wanted Geno. This time 4 years ago people were saying how great Zach and T Lance were going to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad