Food Options when visiting Montréal

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Speaking of Georgian food... Caucasian (and Central Asian) is cuisine pretty much non-existent in Montreal.
There's no place in Montreal that does Khinkali, and I've searched.

It's not a vegan dish typically but if I was to cheat on my diet Khinkali would be the dish I'd do it for.

I'm quite adept at making Lobio at home. Both red and green.

But you are absolutely correct in that the central Asian food is not represented at all in Montreal. Sadly.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace

But you are absolutely correct in that the central Asian food is not represented at all in Montreal. Sadly.
the closest thing that we have is Uyghur Arzou Express that recently opened in Lasalle. I have not been there yet, but I suspect it is run by the same family that already tried it twice, once in NDG and another on St-Laurent in Chinatown.

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
For smoked meat: I had a blind tasting event with friends where we compared the Main's and Schwartz's. The two are very obviously distinct products, with the Main's being more of a uniform slab of lightly seasoned meat, while Schwartz's is crumblier and way more seasoned. We split about 50/50 on preference, so depends on what's up your alley. Lester's is definitely a great pick too.

I feel like the Portuguese rôtisserie chicken triumvirate is missing from the original post. Romados and Ma Poule Mouillée are both great and quite similar, while Coco Rico has a slightly different take (not as hot on the chicken, but those potatoes are amazing). Since the steep price hike at Romados, I tend to favor the cheaper Coco Rico.

Aux Vivres is a fantastic recommendation for vegan food, and Lola Rosa, La Panthère Verte and Chu Chai are also good options.

For upper class eats... I don't have a ton of experience, but Moishes Steakhouse has the most amazing meal you'll have for 25$ (+tax +tip +drinks) if you go after 9PM. Really liked Salmigondis (food) and Quindici (ambiance) in Little Italy too.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Just a suggestion since this thread isn't yet too large. There is already an open and well contributed Food thread, so a merge would be helpful.

KingKovy

Sep 4, 2007
For smoked meat: I had a blind tasting event with friends where we compared the Main's and Schwartz's. The two are very obviously distinct products, with the Main's being more of a uniform slab of lightly seasoned meat, while Schwartz's is crumblier and way more seasoned. We split about 50/50 on preference, so depends on what's up your alley. Lester's is definitely a great pick too.

I feel like the Portuguese rôtisserie chicken triumvirate is missing from the original post. Romados and Ma Poule Mouillée are both great and quite similar, while Coco Rico has a slightly different take (not as hot on the chicken, but those potatoes are amazing). Since the steep price hike at Romados, I tend to favor the cheaper Coco Rico.

Aux Vivres is a fantastic recommendation for vegan food, and Lola Rosa, La Panthère Verte and Chu Chai are also good options.

For upper class eats... I don't have a ton of experience, but Moishes Steakhouse has the most amazing meal you'll have for 25$ (+tax +tip +drinks) if you go after 9PM. Really liked Salmigondis (food) and Quindici (ambiance) in Little Italy too.

For Portuguese chicken.. nothing beats Campo!! The only chicken place with free range chicken in town.. and their sauce is killer

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

CloudReader

Jan 31, 2005
Montreal
My two favorite restos in Montreal:

Kyoto Sushi, Ville St-Laurent: Creative and mouthwatering makis from a Korean chef trained in Japan. The wait after ordering is long there, but it is absolutely worth it.

Keung Kee, Chinatwon: Likely the most famous Cantonese place in town. My family has been going there since the 90s. Go for the surf clams or other shell fishes, eggplant, and above all their house specialty: mushroom rolls.

Korean fusion:
Ganadara

Sorry to single you out on this, but I cannot hold my peace on this one. This place is cheap and tasty depending on what you order, but the quality of the ingredients is just so lacking. My dish had so much oil that I wasn't hungry for ages after. I get the impression that its tremendous rating is the result of its proximity to cegep and university students, who likely aren't experienced in cuisine.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Sorry to single you out on this, but I cannot hold my peace on this one. This place is cheap and tasty depending on what you order, but the quality of the ingredients is just so lacking. My dish had so much oil that I wasn't hungry for ages after. I get the impression that its tremendous rating is the result of its proximity to cegep and university students, who likely aren't experienced in cuisine.

I'm actually korean and this restaurant is reminiscent of the cheap student diners near Hongdae in Seoul.

I recommend the most outrageous and ridiculous dish- seafood poutine.

It's roots are in a korean dish named Buddae jjigae, but with instant ramen noodles, seafood, beef, chicken and cheese.

It makes absolutely no sense, but is ridiculously good.

Also, I bring my korean friends there, and they love it, and a large portion of the clientelle are koreans.

It's not fine dining by any means, but yes in Korea we do eat processed cheese on things.

For Portuguese chicken.. nothing beats Campo!! The only chicken place with free range chicken in town.. and their sauce is killer

Omg. Forgot to mention how amazingly kickass the portugese chicken is here.

The most reknown is Romados. I love this place, but apparently a lot of people prefer others.

Portugalia, coco rico, poule mouille,

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I have no clue how "authentic Georgian" it is but there's a place on Decarie corner Queen Mary.

Georgia - Côte-des-Neiges - Montreal, QC

I've eaten there a few times. It's not very good, and its menu is all over the place - it's as Russian as it is Georgian really.

Perhaps it's gotten better since I was there last, admittedly it's been a while.

If someone does decide to check it out - concentrate on Georgian staples such as Khatchapouri, Kharcho, Khinkali, etc.

Their current menu seems to be missing at least two Georgian classics - Chakhokhbili and Satsivi. I grew up eating both.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
I endorse this.
Only been to Montreal once, but the bagels fro St. Viateur rival anything New York has to offer. Anything. I've eaten thousands of new york bagels from, maybe, 50 places. St. Viateur are no. 1. On the planet. Come at me bro.

I love St-Viateur bagels but my number one is Fairmount bagels.

Reactions: Tighthead

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal

Go try Delibee's by the airport, it's smoked Meat Pete's brother and son of late owner of the Main. Puts them both to shame. Prepared in the same manner as Schwartz but better.

Last edited:

sadpanda

May 19, 2016
Stockholm
Thanks for your tips and the time you put in.

Will be visiting NA and Montreal first time in a week. Not so sure about Poutine though... :D

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I really didnt eat at much restos at all compared to others. I went to reubens not that bad a bit expensive

For pizza, le fameux on mont royal offers pretty good ones i find

And le jardin panos on mont royal has pretty good food love their meat and potatoes

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Didn't want to start a new thread so thought this might be good as any to ask this.

Hi guys I am visiting Montreal for the first time with my parents and my nephew. Plan is to stay in the downtown area for three nights next week.

Any good affordable hotels you recommend?
What are a few things we cannot miss while in Montreal?
Food has to be halal as my parents are very orthodox about that.

Would really appreciate some suggestions.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Didn't want to start a new thread so thought this might be good as any to ask this.

Hi guys I am visiting Montreal for the first time with my parents and my nephew. Plan is to stay in the downtown area for three nights next week.

Usually I'd just pick the cheapest (price-wise) 4+ star hotel with at least 7+ rating score on either Hotwire or Priceline. You may also pick one with the amenities you'd prefer having. You can't go wrong that way!

As for restaurants halal, there are quite a few excellent options. Are you looking more for sit down fancy restaurant or quick bite fast food options (Boustans)? Also, are you into Mediterranean food? Indian food? Middle Eastern food? I really like Chateau Kabab.

Here's a few links for some halal restaurants in Downtown Montreal: https://www.restomontreal.ca/s/?restaurants=halal-downtown-montreal&c=308&d=8&lang=en
10 Best Halal Restaurants in Centre-Ville (Downtown) (Montreal)

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Usually I'd just pick the cheapest (price-wise) 4+ star hotel with at least 7+ rating score on either Hotwire or Priceline. You may also pick one with the amenities you'd prefer having. You can't go wrong that way!

As for restaurants halal, there are quite a few excellent options. Are you looking more for sit down fancy restaurant or quick bite fast food options (Boustans)? Also, are you into Mediterranean food? Indian food? Middle Eastern food? I really like Chateau Kabab.

Here's a few links for some halal restaurants in Downtown Montreal: https://www.restomontreal.ca/s/?restaurants=halal-downtown-montreal&c=308&d=8&lang=en
10 Best Halal Restaurants in Centre-Ville (Downtown) (Montreal)

Good tips for the hotel. Thanks.

As for food quickbites mostly. A far as cousine is concered indian, middle eastern and chinese.

But if I wanted to take the wife out for a fine dinner, what do you recommend?

I know there is tons of poutine places. Unless they are hit or miss?

Where can I get excellent bagels with smoked salmon?

Any brunch places you can recommend?

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019

For hotels, avoid hotels near Berri-UQAM subway station. This area is trash. Right now, when I have business, I stay at the Embassy suites by Hilton, near le Palais des Congrès. It's not new but clean and affordable, next to a subway station and right in the Vieux-Montreal, if you want to visit.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
For hotels, avoid hotels near Berri-UQAM subway station. This area is trash. Right now, when I have business, I stay at the Embassy suites by Hilton, near le Palais des Congrès. It's not new but clean and affordable, next to a subway station and right in the Vieux-Montreal, if you want to visit.
Thank you!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad